FedEx Freight | Less than $1hr for pay "increase"

Well i think everyone left out the part that only the people that are topped out get the full 90. The guys that been here a year got 30 2 years got 60 they won't get the full 90 till they top out. As you can imagine this went over great with all the guys who didn't get the full raise. :438:

Well i think everyone left out the part that only the people that are topped out get the full 90. The guys that been here a year got 30 2 years got 60 they won't get the full 90 till they top out. As you can imagine this went over great with all the guys who didn't get the full raise. :438:

Dag, that's funny

Its sad i guess they wanted to screw the new guys some how, even though they make a lower rate to begin with.

I really don't see how it's that big of a screwing, they will make top rate when they get there. If this raise were to be given as a percentage that's how it would be. Our apprentices are payed a percentage of top scale, every year of service you get a bigger percentage until you "top" out. This year we got $.90 for top rate, so the apprentices didn't get $.90 they got some percentage of that depending on their years of service. Lots of companies base their pay on a percentage nothing wrong with it. Ask a Sysco Cleveland driver hired in the last 10 years about their pay, anyone hired after a certain date (I don't remember the date but it was a past contract ratification date) gets $4 dollars an hour less permanently. And that's a union shop. At least your new hires will top out in three years at the same rate as you.

I really don't see how it's that big of a screwing, they will make top rate when they get there. If this raise were to be given as a percentage that's how it would be. Our apprentices are payed a percentage of top scale, every year of service you get a bigger percentage until you "top" out. This year we got $.90 for top rate, so the apprentices didn't get $.90 they got some percentage of that depending on their years of service. Lots of companies base their pay on a percentage nothing wrong with it. Ask a Sysco Cleveland driver hired in the last 10 years about their pay, anyone hired after a certain date (I don't remember the date but it was a past contract ratification date) gets $4 dollars an hour less permanently. And that's a union shop. At least your new hires will top out in three years at the same rate as you.

So this is how Fed ex is going to attract drivers in a market that has a shortage by short changing them? Non of the other ltl's do this with their annual raises that im aware of. Like i said in another thread somebody or a few head honchos are going to have to answer for making bone head descisons one day and i figure they will be forced in retirement. lol

It's always been this way that I know of...our raise has always been a percentage of our pay, they just announce the amount at top pay because almost every driver IS at top pay!! This year was 3.5%.

It's always been this way that I know of...our raise has always been a percentage of our pay, they just announce the amount at top pay because almost every driver IS at top pay!! This year was 3.5%.

Wrong the raise was the same across the different pay scales 90 cents. And wrong again the guys that were not topped out got the full raise last year.

So this is how Fed ex is going to attract drivers in a market that has a shortage by short changing them? Non of the other ltl's do this with their annual raises that im aware of. Like i said in another thread somebody or a few head honchos are going to have to answer for making bone head descisons one day and i figure they will be forced in retirement. lol

Most everyone I know wants to know what they will make when the top out when looking at a new job. Most people understand that you start out at less than top rate and work your way up. I can't see anyone turning down a good job because the people not yet at top rate didn't get the full $.90, if they had a problem with that I wouldn't want them as an employee. I really think there is nothing Fedex can do that would make you happy, you just want to cry.

What we have to be great full for is that in today's time's, not many companies give raises on a yearly basis! We got a bonus, and we are blessed to have in what in my opinion is a great job. Can things be better? Yes, but they can also be worse, and no company is perfect.

The truth is, in our industry, most every company is raising pay, and many are offering a bonus of some sort.

If you'd like, I could post dozens of reports to back this up. Here's the most recent one I read:
http://bulktransporter.com/fleet-ma...factors-contributing-slower-tank-fleet-growth

"“Last year, we saw many carriers put on 8%, 10%, 12%, 15% base-pay increases,” he said. “Some of those same fleets that did it last summer are doing it already this year.”

Many fleets are changing pay models where possible, offering sign-on bonuses: 48% of TL carriers are offering sign-on bonuses, followed by 33% of LTL and 33% of private fleets."

We are indeed "lucky" to be in an industry, where demand (currently) exceeds supply. The downside, in general, tends to be excessive hours that cut deeply into family time.

Most everyone I know wants to know what they will make when the top out when looking at a new job. Most people understand that you start out at less than top rate and work your way up. I can't see anyone turning down a good job because the people not yet at top rate didn't get the full $.90, if they had a problem with that I wouldn't want them as an employee. I really think there is nothing Fedex can do that would make you happy, you just want to cry.

There is a big difference in me and you, i work here through thick and thin, you tucked your tail and ran to a union job when you werent happy, but yet you come on here and constantly say how good this job is. Well if it's so good you would still be here. Remember you couldnt handle this job i can. When Fed Ex gives us a fair shake i will bow down and admit it but untill then i will continue to fight for whats right. It's obvious you have a agenda towards an organization and thats fine, but don't tell us this job is so great and fair when you left because it wasnt.

Its been awhile, I don't remember, but have folks who are not topped out, have they always received a percentage of the raise and not the full raise? Last year did they not get the full 80 cents?

Wrong the raise was the same across the different pay scales 90 cents. And wrong again the guys that were not topped out got the full raise last year.
90 cents IS 3.5% of the average pay scales. Those at $23.68 (the lowest) got more than 3.5%, those at $26.43 (the highest) got less...but 90 cents IS 3.5% of the average. The company has ALWAYS given the raise as a percentage, they just announce the amount since most are at top pay of their scale. It's been this way for 20 years.

90 cents IS 3.5% of the average pay scales. Those at $23.68 (the lowest) got more than 3.5%, those at $26.43 (the highest) got less...but 90 cents IS 3.5% of the average. The company has ALWAYS given the raise as a percentage, they just announce the amount since most are at top pay of their scale. It's been this way for 20 years.

You can figure it any way you want doesn't change the fact that everyone got the same 90 cents well except the younger guys they screwed.

There is a big difference in me and you, i work here through thick and thin, you tucked your tail and ran to a union job when you werent happy, but yet you come on here and constantly say how good this job is. Well if it's so good you would still be here. Remember you couldnt handle this job i can. When Fed Ex gives us a fair shake i will bow down and admit it but untill then i will continue to fight for whats right. It's obvious you have a agenda towards an organization and thats fine, but don't tell us this job is so great and fair when you left because it wasnt.

Where did I say "this job was great or fair" and I will need an exact quote. But wether you like it or not it is a good job. Second I didn't "tuck tail and run" anywhere, I never had any intent of retiring from Fedex it was a step along the way. If construction had never tanked I would have never been there, I didn't take my current job because it was union and I didn't go to Sysco for the union. It was just the opportunity that was presented at the time. And I contend you will never be happy you are a bellyacher and that's what you'll always be.

Where did I say "this job was great or fair" and I will need an exact quote. But wether you like it or not it is a good job. Second I didn't "tuck tail and run" anywhere, I never had any intent of retiring from Fedex it was a step along the way. If construction had never tanked I would have never been there, I didn't take my current job because it was union and I didn't go to Sysco for the union. It was just the opportunity that was presented at the time. And I contend you will never be happy you are a bellyacher and that's what you'll always be.

Well im not a job hopper when I signed up it was for the long haul. I contend you don't know what your talking about on this subject because you went to a union job for a purpose just like everyone else who works union you have a top level benefits package. If you want to continue this conversation take it to the union debate thread.

.90 @ 23.68 = 3.8%
.90 @ 26.73 = 3.4%
We're told newer hires get 1.30 per (annual) step, until they reach top pay for their location, I seem to recall.

Truth is, in the past 20 something years it WAS a straight percentage. Only these last two were a flat amount, and only these last two were announced weeks/months in advance. It seems more and more companies are doing this. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Last edited:
On a side note, someone mentioned earlier that guys not a full rate always got the same amount. the year I worked there top rate got a raise and those of us not at top rate didn't get anything.