Yellow | Let there be peace

steercrazee

TB Veteran
Credits
Let's not cheer for the downfall of Yellow. A lot of people lost their jobs. It could have been me or you and at this time of year is hard. When you pray say one for these folks as well. I do hope all who couldn't retire are able to find a job somewhere. I also hope it is greener pastures for you guys and maybe one day look back on this as one door closing but a better one opening. May you find peace in this storm.

I will not celebrate the demise of Yellow and the operating companies. But neither will I mourn. I am bitter about what $bill and Schmid did to Roadway Express. And what they did to Yellow Freight, as well.
Many good women and men lost their jobs after the consolidation of operations in 2009. There were 60,000 Teamsters at the combined YRC Freight at that time. But through gross and rampant mismanagement by senior management in Overland Park were able to reduce that number to 22,000. Before ceasing operations.
To every employee who has been affected I have nothing but sympathy.
Wishing all a Merry Christmas and a Happier New Year. :grouphug:

Sad part is Drivers gave back -15% to help save them and got nothing in return , while Management stayed at full pay and they gave themselves Bonuses and Union Leaders that told us to take the -15% stayed at full pay , the only losers was the ones that gave back -15% . ☹️

Sad part is Drivers gave back -15% to help save them and got nothing in return , while Management stayed at full pay and they gave themselves Bonuses and Union Leaders that told us to take the -15% stayed at full pay , the only losers was the ones that gave back -15% . ☹️
Nobody was forced to stay I tried to leave l when we took the cut but no 1 wanted a 42 yr old dock worker. I still made a good living for 14 yrs 93,000 gross last yr with great insurance not bad for 10th grade drop out with no skills. Now I have suck it for 5 yrs till I turn 62. Southeastern has shot my down 14 times in 4 months 7 times at each terminal in Houston. All the other LTLs have told no at least 4 times each in 4 months. No one wants to hire a 56 yr old dock worker if they do they want to pay me $17 for back breaking work. I may end up as a security guard my last 5 yrs work is easier but pays around $15 good thing I paid everything off knowing this could happen plus wife has a good job..

Nobody was forced to stay I tried to leave l when we took the cut but no 1 wanted a 42 yr old dock worker. I still made a good living for 14 yrs 93,000 gross last yr with great insurance not bad for 10th grade drop out with no skills. Now I have suck it for 5 yrs till I turn 62. Southeastern has shot my down 14 times in 4 months 7 times at each terminal in Houston. All the other LTLs have told no at least 4 times each in 4 months. No one wants to hire a 56 yr old dock worker if they do they want to pay me $17 for back breaking work. I may end up as a security guard my last 5 yrs work is easier but pays around $15 good thing I paid everything off knowing this could happen plus wife has a good job..
OK Skid, I'm going to offer some advice even though you didn't ask for it. Did you ever get your GED? If not, do it! After that, there's a lot of decent community colleges in south Texas. Attend! You will be more educated, you will feel better and you will be proud. BTW, at 56 you are NOT too old. I've heard of people graduating college in their 90s.

OK Skid, I'm going to offer some advice even though you didn't ask for it. Did you ever get your GED? If not, do it! After that, there's a lot of decent community colleges in south Texas. Attend! You will be more educated, you will feel better and you will be proud. BTW, at 56 you are NOT too old. I've heard of people graduating college in their 90s.

Great advice, I second this!!! Also most unemployment agencies have free paid re-training and will pay for community college degrees!

As far as finding a job, that isn't going to help him. I've never, ever, had a job ask me for my diploma.

Warehouses always need help, they literally hire anyone. Years ago I worked in grocery and beverage distribution and there were always older guys in there. Some of the places are paying $20+ an hour now with OT. Not great money but you won't starve.

No peace too many suffering without health insurance my friend who was a Dockman just passed away from rationing his insulin couldn't afford it without insurance. Why couldn't they just extend the contract until economic conditions get better. I predicted the change of operations would end in disaster.

try being 60 and looking for a job, and those insurances some offer, expensive and pay little. expect 12-14 hours daily and mandatory weekends.
local jail offers 1.00 more than mission bbq, pay for very poor insurance, nights ,eves, weekends, holidays. many ghost you as soon as they know you were union, even if the employer called, emailed, had other employees call to recruit you, unsolicited. retail,even with management experience i cannot get a return phone call or interview.
the good, a union shop did hire me as a temp, declined to use me in any area of which i had experience, but i am in a climate controlled environment, learning new things, my insurance may soon be equal to COBRA, but I am a glorified temp.
Most employers like and comment on what I put any cover letter, " I show up and perform as instructed. I will make decisions as required and accept responsibility for any decisions made."
Don't give up, I am at over 130 apps, 25 or 30 interviews, and some hacks/scammers due to information submitted to prospective employers.

As far as finding a job, that isn't going to help him. I've never, ever, had a job ask me for my diploma.

Warehouses always need help, they literally hire anyone. Years ago I worked in grocery and beverage distribution and there were always older guys in there. Some of the places are paying $20+ an hour now with OT. Not great money but you won't starve.
I disagree. Education rarely hurts anyone, and it frequently helps. One of the few instances where it hurt was my mother nearly 60 years ago. She had a Masters in Education, but the school district that was interested in hiring her couldn't pay the state scale for a teacher with a Masters, so no-go.

A G.E.D is the same as a high school diploma and will open more doors. That's what i have and it opened the door to a community college that taught truck driving. My state had a program that i signed up for and they paid it all. This is very good advice. They will help you on the G.E.D. I was not a smart kid in school. I knew the basics and was able to pass the G.E.D test.

A G.E.D is the same as a high school diploma and will open more doors. That's what i have and it opened the door to a community college that taught truck driving. My state had a program that i signed up for and they paid it all. This is very good advice. They will help you on the G.E.D. I was not a smart kid in school. I knew the basics and was able to pass the G.E.D test.
Got my G.E.D. while in the Army

A small handful of upper management returned to full pay. The rest suffered as well. Just like the union did