FedEx Freight | line haul job

lightpoll

TB Lurker
Credits
are you home everynight or out for five days and when things slow down do they lay you off? thinking of switchen from food service to freight and also do they have drive cam in trucks

Very much depends on where this position is. But
Generally you will be home every day to sleep. You will drive a truck part of the night and a forklift most of the night. You won’t do this every day at the beginning. To start, you will be on the extra board. On call, bottom guy on a hog board.
I went from food service to linehaul for Viking 28 years ago. Different company with different business model. Don’t know that I would make the same choice now. They don’t do layovers unless there is no other alternative. We have forward facing cameras.
BTW it only took me 19 years to get a day run.

are you home everynight or out for five days and when things slow down do they lay you off? thinking of switchen from food service to freight and also do they have drive cam in trucks
You'll probably get a better response if you share the location you're interested in. Not all service centers are the same. Camera facing foward. We have one on the eld but they aren't turned on.

All depends on your location. I hired on at a small barn and had a bid right away. For the most part plan on short drives and 4-6 hours on the forklift being a new guy.

It really depends on region. I run out of a relay yard that has no dock and only 1 shuttle run (dock work on the hub end) out of 26 runs. The shuttle normally gets kick outs if asked for to avoid dock work. When I hired on 4 years ago, that was my run, but I've moved up quickly by FedEx standards. I'm now guaranteed no worse than #4 nights. #3, if I consider extra board, as #1 EB runs exclusively days.

As it stands, I run 438 daily if I take the night time shuttle, 482 for the night time hub turn, and 526 for the day time meet, plus task pay and applicable delay or dock time. I'm home every day/night and off weekends. Given the choice, even with better pay, I won't go OTR/regional. Not worth it IMO.

Screw all this shuttle hub turn crap. We’re thinking about retirement. Eventually, sort of, maybe.....
Kind of depends on which voice is loudest at the moment.
Right now the loudest one is the one saying “See I told you guys if you went to work today you’d hear a groan coming from the office when you walked in the gate.”
He was right!

We only have one lay down run, everyone else is home daily/nightly...unless you have to wait on freight from ATL, then you’d better pack an overnight back just in case!! :1036316054:
Great thanks for the info. Looking to apply very soon, how long do you think it would take a new city guy to transfer into road?

Great thanks for the info. Looking to apply very soon, how long do you think it would take a new city guy to transfer into road?
Depends...some guys have waited 5 years or more, others less than a year. We’ve just added 29 drivers to the road side in the last year so they’re really looking to fill the void left on the city side but if we continue to grow like we have, it’s quite possible one could make it fairly quickly.

I’d hate to say for certain though, the only thing certain is death and taxes!!

Sorry for high jacking this thread but, I’m interested in hiring on as a road driver in Boise once there’s a position open. I was wondering if anyone had any info on the Boise terminal

Do they keep road drivers busy year round? How many runs/drivers do they have? If anyone is willing to share what the pay scale looks like in that region, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!