FedEx Freight | linehaul extra board question

aceman

TB Lurker
Credits
I have a question for some of you National veterans. I started with National in April this year as a P&D driver in a very small terminal (13 doors). I recently accepted a linehaul (Extraboard) position but cant start till my P&D replacement is hired and trained. I was the bottom man in the city and of course will be the bottom man in linehaul. My Op. supervisor was begging me not to take the linehaul position and gave me nothing but negative feedback about the extraboard. I will be the only extraboard driver at our terminal. My question is... Have I made a mistake by taking this position or can I make a decent living at it? the drivers at my terminal tell me I would be a fool not to take it. What are some of your thoughts? By the way, I was never told this position was open by mgmt. another driver told me about it and I jumped on it at the last min. Eight P&D drivers above me passed on it. Whats your thoughts? thanks.

It depends on your terminal,how much freight will be generated there and how much will be passing through. I made better money on the extra board than my bid but I was in a large terminal. Will they let you work the system? I doubt it but it doesn't hurt to ask. If things get real slow, will they let you fill in in the city? Once again, it doesn't hurt to ask. If you know the ground rules, you can use them to your advantage.

With 13 bids, you have at least 26 weeks of vacation to cover. That doesn't include the old farts with 3 and 4 weeks a year.

What terminal are you out of?

yes, we have 11 linehaul drivers at this point and talks of adding 1 or 2 more in the future. Good news is I would be able to bump up if another came available. Bad news seems to be... uncertainty until that happens. I'm new to this whole LtL business and have been a road driver all my life. trying to learn the best moves as I go. thnx

You say you have 11 linehaul runs. That's 11 drivers with at least 2 weeks vacation. Our Terminal only allows 10% to be off at 1 time. I doubt your Terminal will only let 1 driver off, per week for vacation! So, I'm only guessing, you must have [a] larger Terminalyou relay with, that can cover the drivers runs that call off!??? And, I hope , for your sake, that they include you for overflow work. I hope it works out for you! My advice is to show up early, to work the dock, and stay late. Show your boss, you'll workand keep an eye on the calender, to see who's off. Goodluck to you

As long as you understand the difference between p&d and linehaul. Linehaul means nights and since your are on extra board you will be on call which means waiting by the phone. Since you will be the only extra board you know you will work when ever anyone is on vac. Like guardrail said. I guess it's really a matter of what you like. Do you like p&d. And dealing with customers or do you want to do a run ever day or night? Are most of the linehaul runs at night and is that ok with you? These are things you need to think about too besides difference in pay.

guardrail, I'm out of MBL (mobile). Very small terminal. We relay alot of freight from dallas and Orlando. Some good 680 mile runs to Ray city La. each night and some not so good 450 mile runs as well. We have about equal amount day and night runs so the schedule will be nights one week and day runs the next. I'm not quite sure how the whole thing works but as I stated in my earlier post, I've been on the road most of my life and even though I have no problems with P&D work, I just don't enjoy it. I'm just concerned about making money to pay the bills in such a small terminal on the extraboard. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

If they have relay loads there now i would go to and stay on the road if i were you.... I think there are more relay loads to come. If you consider 450 short ( i think it is so so) you would die at some other terminals... STAY ON THE ROAD take what you can. I think it will only get better.. If you do not enjoy city work that is even a better reason to go road.

[quote author=worthless link=topic=82585.msg853687#msg853687 date=1280674605]
As long as you understand the difference between p&d and linehaul. Linehaul means nights and since your are on extra board you will be on call which means waiting by the phone. Since you will be the only extra board you know you will work when ever anyone is on vac. Like guardrail said. I guess it's really a matter of what you like. Do you like p&d. And dealing with customers or do you want to do a run ever day or night? Are most of the linehaul runs at night and is that ok with you? These are things you need to think about too besides difference in pay.
[/quote] On call at a small terminal isn't exactly "on call" you pretty much know when your starting.

[quote author=aceman link=topic=82585.msg853989#msg853989 date=1280713574]
We have about equal amount day and night runs so the schedule will be nights one week and day runs the next.
[/quote]
The main problem you'll run into with this deal is flip-flopping from days to nights mid-week when guys just take off a couple of days at the start or end of the week. There will be weeks that won't have anybody (bids) off all week.
If you start the week out covering a couple of day runs then go and cover 3 nights your gonna have a 5 1/2 day week. (working Monday morning till Saturday morning) If you start out Monday covering a couple of night bids then go to days mid-week you lose a day and get a 4 day week. (working Monday night till Friday evening) On the plus side though, since you've got those big turns to Ray City you should still be able to hold a good weekly mileage average over a months time.

P.S. I'm a bit jealous of you living in the Mobile area, I love it around there. Killer fishing. I just hope the oil spill has'nt hit you guys to hard.

I appreciate all the replies and veteran advice. I talked to the guy this afternoon who has been running the extraboard and he said that he has not had a day off in a year of running it (other than his vacation) so that gave me some hope that I'll be ok $$$$ wise. the flip flopping from day to night seems to be the only headache but we'll just deal with it. eah, we enjoy living in this area and do alot of inshore fishing around here. the oil hasn't reached the bays or rivers and I think we'll be ok there. waiting on cool weather now. Alot of good deer and wild hog hunting in the delta as well.