Estes | Linehaul To P&d

nctruckdriver

TB Lurker
Credits
So, I have a bit over 10 years line haul and I’m the #2 driver out of my terminal (linehaul seniority), and I’m toying with the idea of switching to city. My question is, do you guys know anyone who has done that type of switch? It’s usually the other way around (city to linehaul). Most drivers say that I’m crazy but I just don’t want to end up down the road and look back with regret that I barely ever slept at nights with my family. Thoughts are appreciated and everyone stay safe out there...

So, I have a bit over 10 years line haul and I’m the #2 driver out of my terminal (linehaul seniority), and I’m toying with the idea of switching to city. My question is, do you guys know anyone who has done that type of switch? It’s usually the other way around (city to linehaul). Most drivers say that I’m crazy but I just don’t want to end up down the road and look back with regret that I barely ever slept at nights with my family. Thoughts are appreciated and everyone stay safe out there...
I don't work for Estes but worked nights for around 15 years. Eating dinner every day with the family is priceless to me. I know where your coming from. Some questions can you withstand the pay cut? How do they treat the city drivers at your barn? re you home every day now? What time approximately would you finish up everyday?

If money is not a big issue than go for it. You want loose your line haul seniority but if you change your mind down the road and want to get back to Line haul then you might have to go back to extra board to get back to your seniority and I think that you have to be back in the line haul status 60 or 90 days to pick up your time. Good luck with choice

Does Estes run two seniority lists? Not every company does

Also at some places the city guys could do better than the linehaul guys if they have good long runs. I started makin more when I went from linehaul to city

I've know quite a few that made the switch because they were tired of the lifestyle or their LH runs were cancelled and they couldn't go XB due to family obligations. Like others have said they took a massive pay cut to do it but overall seem happy. Since they went to the bottom they got the late start times(9 or 10am) or fill in for drivers on vacation. I want to say the get somewhere around 45 hours a week and have ran LH on Saturday if they don't get the desired hours they want.

I don't work for Estes but worked nights for around 15 years. Eating dinner every day with the family is priceless to me. I know where your coming from. Some questions can you withstand the pay cut? How do they treat the city drivers at your barn? re you home every day now? What time approximately would you finish up everyday?
Pay isn’t an issue (as long as bring home $600 weekly which is very doable in city). Most city drivers seem content at my barn of course some hate it though. I am home every day know (shift is from 20:30-7:30 a bit of over 450 miles). City drivers at my barn typically work from 08:15-21:30.

If money is not a big issue than go for it. You want loose your line haul seniority but if you change your mind down the road and want to get back to Line haul then you might have to go back to extra board to get back to your seniority and I think that you have to be back in the line haul status 60 or 90 days to pick up your time. Good luck with choice
That’s what I thought, the next guy below me only has 5 years so if I decide to go back line haul and after maybe doing extra board for a bit I’d get my seniority back and back on a schedule. Thanks for your input

I've know quite a few that made the switch because they were tired of the lifestyle or their LH runs were cancelled and they couldn't go XB due to family obligations. Like others have said they took a massive pay cut to do it but overall seem happy. Since they went to the bottom they got the late start times(9 or 10am) or fill in for drivers on vacation. I want to say the get somewhere around 45 hours a week and have ran LH on Saturday if they don't get the desired hours they want.
That’s what actually got me thinking of doing it. I did extra board for 4 years when I started working here, have been a scheduled driver for over 6 years now. When COVID first hit, then cancelled all our runs and was forced to do extra board for about 1.5 months. I have a family now and extra board is kinda out of the question. Thanks driver

Pay isn’t an issue (as long as bring home $600 weekly which is very doable in city). Most city drivers seem content at my barn of course some hate it though. I am home every day know (shift is from 20:30-7:30 a bit of over 450 miles). City drivers at my barn typically work from 08:15-21:30.
If the money isn't an issue that's great. You have fantastic start and end times now that allows you to eat dinner with the family everyday. If you couldn't be home by 18:30 on a regular basis I'd personally stay on linehaul. If your only home just before everyone goes to bed that's not gaining anytime with them. Losing Friday nights is a bummer but if you won't get home until 20:00 on a regular basis have you really gained what you wanted.

If the money isn't an issue that's great. You have fantastic start and end times now that allows you to eat dinner with the family everyday. If you couldn't be home by 18:30 on a regular basis I'd personally stay on linehaul. If your only home just before everyone goes to bed that's not gaining anytime with them. Losing Friday nights is a bummer but if you won't get home until 20:00 on a regular basis have you really gained what you wanted.
You do have a point driver. The pros I see doing P&D are having Friday night off and sleeping at nights. Cons- more stress and less $. I’ll be 100 honest, I’m kinda afraid of making the move with this being an election year which means it might get real slow, that and getting another shutdown. Thx for your input

You do have a point driver. The pros I see doing P&D are having Friday night off and sleeping at nights. Cons- more stress and less $. I’ll be 100 honest, I’m kinda afraid of making the move with this being an election year which means it might get real slow, that and getting another shutdown. Thx for your input
There's something major to be said about the stress aspect of things. My first driving job was doing deliveries on an hourly basis. There was the constant stress from management to get the runs done quicker, etc. Of course, every person is different, but if stress is a concern, remember you aren't the only one dealing with it... your family will be dealing with your stress as a direct result. God bless you with your decision.

You have a nice medium size run and you are released somewhat early i wouldnt jazz that up if you can find a way to sleep as soon as you get home a late afternoon and evening could be had with family

How about taking a day time linehaul run so you can still be home every night and stay in the line-haul category without losing seniority.

You have a nice medium size run and you are released somewhat early i wouldnt jazz that up if you can find a way to sleep as soon as you get home a late afternoon and evening could be had with family
Therefore my moral conundrum...I do have a decent run, I’m the #2 driver and have different options every bid. I still have a lot of doubt about switching so I probably won’t. Thanks for your reply

I went local in 2015, and I miss absolutely nothing.

Ask yourself, how is my health, how heavy a piece of freight am I required to deliver to the second floor. Am I in shape to handle deliveries. Can I get a dock bid & not P & D, What are the type of injuries should I expect doing P & D? Do I want to take my lunch 7 hours after I started & having to ask dispatch when I can take it. Compare the cons of the road to the street doing P & D. Compare what your health might be after 10 years of city work versus another 10 on the road. In the city, you will be under the microscope much more than the road. The road, point A to B. City, many variable things you will do. 1 injury in the city might make you not able to pass a physical. On the road injury, not so much. Hope this helps. von.