XPO | Linehaul

NoPayPti

TB Lurker
Credits
Are most FAC's operating tonight? God bless those drivers out there in the storm. Enjoy your hotel tonight. Don't end up in a ditch. We'll all laugh about it Monday but for now, deal with another boneheaded move!

Are most FAC's operating tonight? God bless those drivers out there in the storm. Enjoy your hotel tonight. Don't end up in a ditch. We'll all laugh about it Monday but for now, deal with another boneheaded move!

what storm? it drizzled a bit earlier....

all FAC's in california are operating as far as i know.

All of north east coast SHUT down. What does Con-Way do. Send them out. A few got to Milton, no one got to Clearfield. Don't know about Pittsburg. All sitting somewhere. The weather people have been calling for this for 3 days. Thats how much they care about their drivers. I think safety needs to be taken out of their core values and replaced with GREED.

@ XNJ they put 15 guys to bed and no one went out for their p & d run,everyone stayed on the dock and break freight..good decision CON-WAY.but i know damn sure theirs gonna be a Saturday work

I'm just curious about something. I hear a lot of guys complaining about having to go out into the weather. Is this something new? It seems since we combined all the Con-ways into one we seem to shut -down or complain if we have to go out into the weather. It's no wonder they are giving more & more freight to Purchase carriers. They know they are going to shut-down anyway so why not pay them a lot less instead of running our guys. Out West we ran regardless of the weather. If Donner was closed due to snow you ran the Feather River Canyon or some other route. If the Siskiyou's were closed you ran up the coast through Eureka/Crescent City into Oregon or up Oregon 97 to Oregon 58. Grapevine closed, go the coast or Tehachapi. Whatever it took to get the freight to our customers. That was one of the things that set us apart from the other carriers. Now we've got a bunch of over-educated shoe clerks running line-haul who have never set foot in a truck making *******-@$$ decisions. We've become pretty damn soft as drivers. Now alls you hear is "I don't want to go out I might have to lay-over somewhere". To bad, it's part of the job. Heck, out West we should be doing lay-downs any ways. I just don't understand. Please someone enlighten me. I'm ready to be schooled!

I'm just curious about something. I hear a lot of guys complaining about having to go out into the weather. Is this something new? It seems since we combined all the Con-ways into one we seem to shut -down or complain if we have to go out into the weather. It's no wonder they are giving more & more freight to Purchase carriers. They know they are going to shut-down anyway so why not pay them a lot less instead of running our guys. Out West we ran regardless of the weather. If Donner was closed due to snow you ran the Feather River Canyon or some other route. If the Siskiyou's were closed you ran up the coast through Eureka/Crescent City into Oregon or up Oregon 97 to Oregon 58. Grapevine closed, go the coast or Tehachapi. Whatever it took to get the freight to our customers. That was one of the things that set us apart from the other carriers. Now we've got a bunch of over-educated shoe clerks running line-haul who have never set foot in a truck making *******-@$$ decisions. We've become pretty damn soft as drivers. Now alls you hear is "I don't want to go out I might have to lay-over somewhere". To bad, it's part of the job. Heck, out West we should be doing lay-downs any ways. I just don't understand. Please someone enlighten me. I'm ready to be schooled!

You physically can't make it in the alloted time sometimes. Seems more cost effective to shut down for a night than have guys laid over and stuck in the middle of the road. The weather varies so much for different terminals running into the same re-ships that all the ones from the west might make it but nobody from the east can - might as well try harder the next day rather than lay over the driver and the equipment. I dunno - could be wrong.

CWX allways gets thru! I've layed over plenty of times due to weather but I don't think you can compare the storms out here to what they are dealing with back east. Out here you can always find a way around but back east there are no ways around. I grew up in Connecticut and I remember the blizzard of 77 there was nothing moving anyware. I didn't go to school for almost a week and my dad's station wagon was buried under the snow for several days.:guiness:

Yeh oh ::shit:: is right lol specially when that big "CONWAY" lettering is just getting bigger and bigger in your mirror even though you're goin straight and all the 4 wheelers in their lil hondas are still trying to speed around you on a 2 way street... I shoulda just taken a page out of another guy at my barns book, he got stuck by the diner 2 blocks from the yard, lesson learned.

Yeh oh ::shit:: is right lol specially when that big "CONWAY" lettering is just getting bigger and bigger in your mirror even though you're goin straight and all the 4 wheelers in their lil hondas are still trying to speed around you on a 2 way street... I shoulda just taken a page out of another guy at my barns book, he got stuck by the diner 2 blocks from the yard, lesson learned.

Yeah, that stinks. Last year I was grinding my way up a hill and finally had to stop because everything was going different directions.

I remember seeing a huge banner on a Con-Way Service Center that said something like "Safety is our first priority". Seems like that's our first "value" too.

We are not talking about the road over 1 mountain. It's whole states. New Jersey, New York area, Eastern Pennsylvainia. You can't go around it if your in the middle of it.

Traction control helped last night in some areas but hurt in others!!! I made it into XNJ and spent about 2 hrs dropping and hooking yard was a mess and way two many guys there!!! What is usually a 7.5 hr round trip was just about 11 last night.. I know of 2 Xlf guys in Lewistown hotels 3 in Allentown and about 7 of them still in NJ XHG had them scatered from NJ back as well !! Smart move CONWAY !!!

As for the traction control on the sterlings.If you look under the bottom of the dash around the area of your knees.You will see a set of rocker type switches.One is for traction and other is for abs.If you press the trac. switch it eliminates that loss of momentum and will allow you to move.It will reset itself after a short period.It is on MOST sterlings not all.

As for the traction control on the sterlings.If you look under the bottom of the dash around the area of your knees.You will see a set of rocker type switches.One is for traction and other is for abs.If you press the trac. switch it eliminates that loss of momentum and will allow you to move.It will reset itself after a short period.It is on MOST sterlings not all.

Yeah - sometimes that works and sometimes I'd rather have it cutting in and out. If I can keep some forward momentum I'd rather have it cutting in and out because it seems to keep everything straighter - when I had to stop on the hill last year, I had turned it off and the truck kept going one way and the wagons were going the other even though I was letting off a little trying to straighten the set out. It got to the point where the truck was too far and the set was pulling me off the road so I had to stop before I dropped off the shoulder. Eventually the salt truck came by and away I went - till I got stuck behind everyone else on the next hill. Winter sucks..lol..