ODFL | Local TM says its hard to get a job at ODFL

I'd wager that some of it depends on the TM. One of the newer guys at our barn had the process take from July to early November because things kept getting lost, required re-doing, items forgotten etc.....

i believe its the TM. i went to the terminal in norfolk,va and that tm had been hired
from saia,he hired all the guys he could from saia and took my app called me back
went back in and then heard nothing. 1 week later another driver i knew was hired
from saia. dont know if he is r_ _ _ _ _ or he just wants to hire his buddies.

the norfolk tm is incorrect my friend. he only hired one from saia probably should get your facts straight as i was the only one. yes there was others from there that wanted to come over but he wouldnt hire them. and he was looking even before i came over i just happened to call him at the right time. had i been a crappy worker not saying you are but if i was he wouldnt have hired me.

6+ years ago when I hired on, there was a big mass hiring. Some of my paperwork got misplaced at headquarters. Took a second drug test, because 30 day had expired on 1st test. Overall, about 75 days from 1st contact/application to driving. Last 14 due to notice given to employer. Took about 4 weeks when put back on after layoffs. Most was due to switch over from paper to computer application. Also had to do a knee stress test that delayed start. Old injury that was tested 1st time hired, yet needed to be tested again to make everyone happy. OD always paid for any extra testing. TMs even worked together since I was being put on at a different terminal than 1st hired. Original TM organized since he didn't have opening, yet knew location that did, close TM did computer/road test/physical (saved me travel time/exspense), 3rd TM got it all together to put me on at his terminal.

well in general i think the process takes about a month.i think the misconception is that the tm is the one that does the hiring but the finally word comes from human resources they say yes or no if that person can be hired. if all the information is correct then it should go smoothly. however i have seen someone hired and actually worked for a week on the clock and something he didnt put on his application well who ever makes the call with that said he had to go. it does become a pain that it takes so long. i had that process take that long at other trucking companies so it dosnt just happen with od. i am sure going from paper to computer for everything was just as big a pain as the blue system we have. i do have an issue with hiring someone new and then in a week or 2 letting them go because of something they didn't like on there application. and allowing them to work why not make sure everything is right before he let someone start working i couldn't imagine how distraught i would be especially in this economy. od might not be perfect and have its issues but its the best company i have worked for and the benefits are a lot better than i have seen. i am not a union guy so i am pretty happy where i am i run line haul and they keep me busy even when we are slow.

Some times it is growing pains, both hold ups for me were bad timing. Also the added gov. regs. got to be a hassle. A lot of paperwork use to be faxed, sheer volume during 05/06 must have been a nitemare. TM at the time believed this is where my 1st hold up was. 2nd was not enough kiosk available and a few glitches. Each terminal has certain needs. Always went to a terminal that needed/allowed system wild drivers. I would stay out 3 to 9 weeks. Do to an injury/retirement was offered regular run at original terminal. As OD expands, have seen drivers move from one location to another across the country or regionally. Many times I and others were offered these slots by local TMs before outside hiring.

took me bout 3-4wks to get hired on thats bout normal
every trucking company other thing is when a company has NO turn over
may take longer thats good thing at OD once you get on dont leave
its a good company:)