Estes | looking to get out

mvniron

TB Lurker
Credits
I am a heavy equipment hauler for a construction co looking to get out. I am considering Estes or Old Dominion I live 50 miles from St.l . Seeking opinions on theses or others, starting pay and or all things involved not familiar with LTLat all. I have 25 yrs experience clean driving record no criminal background.any input much apriciated.

I don't understand why all truck drivers wouldn't want to go ltl. Nothing wrong with this place. I think they start you somewhere in the upper .40's. Money is easy to make here. I'm making the democrats real happy each week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what the starting pay is, but linehaul tops out at 54.25 cents per mile. Back when I started here, it was 8 cents less than top rate to start (for linehaul). I think extra-board gets a smidgen more. Decent benes and 401k. You must have hazmat and double/triples endorsements on CDL. According to the Estes website, the St. Louis terminal is looking for drivers. I wish you the best with your decision!

Thanks for the response I do have haz but let the double trip full off long time ago. Construction is terrible here and I'm tired of sitting home week's as t a time to only work one day then sit again . I seen some Estes drivers at truck stop and had good things to say about the Co . Whist is the difference between linehall , hub, p&d extraboard as I said I'm new to this LTL stuff ? Thanks again

Linehaul is hauling loads from terminal to terminal or to a half/way meet, and not touching any freight.
Extraboard is LH, only you stay out all week. Sometimes you get home during the week, but that's according to the freight levels.
P&D is city- you pick up and deliver, and bring back the freight to the terminal.
Hub is like a combination driver/dock worker. I don't know much about that category, other than if I'm not mistaken, their pay rate is lower (for doing more work...hmmm.)
Utility is a new category that was started a few years ago, and from what I understand, it is whatever they need you to do that week; could be driving, dock, jockeying, etc.

According to Mildew, extraboard is the bees-knees, but don't pay him much attention. There's a good chance he's drunk-posting again! (Love ya Dew!) Actually- it is what you're willing to put in to it. Generally, if you want to bust yer donkey, there are dispatchers who are sadistic enough to help you do just that!

Thank you this gives me vision into this new horizon, guess I will make the next move . Thanks again for all the info!

Dew's experience at the Big E is not representative of any other mortal working there, so be warned. Lol. He is in a class by himself.

And after 25 yrs it's going to be tough playing the extraboard game, calling every night/day to see if you'll work. I'm not sure of Estes specifically, but I'm sure there are many crap sandwiches to be had as a junior man at any major LTL company where big money is on the line. So also take that into consideration. And I'm sure you've paid your dues after that long, so do you really want to start over.

Why not try fuel hauling or even working for a specialized carrier like Airgas, or Praxair where there is steady consistent work I assume or a bit more consistent than freight. They require like 3 yrs and you have to have flawless driving/background record. not trying to turn you away from the Big E as I do not work here, but I work for con-way freight so things are pretty similar. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Yeah, I might be in a different world than most Extraboarders. We get an extra $.005 on the mile which adds at least $700 a year.
I may be in my own class. My boss told me yesterday I had it going on. Even my wife told me to keep up whatever it is your doing. I told her there's a 650 mile schedule hanging on the wall. She told me don't try and fix something that isn't broke. Since she wears the pants, I'll do what she says.

Yeah, I might be in a different world than most Extraboarders. We get an extra $.005 on the mile which adds at least $700 a year.
I may be in my own class. My boss told me yesterday I had it going on. Even my wife told me to keep up whatever it is your doing. I told her there's a 650 mile schedule hanging on the wall. She told me don't try and fix something that isn't broke. Since she wears the pants, I'll do what she says.

I heard that run was already taken...I might have to get back on that 1/2 way meet with you guys in November, I hear my ol' buddy has a chance of getting it back....

I heard that run was already taken...I might have to get back on that 1/2 way meet with you guys in November, I hear my ol' buddy has a chance of getting it back....
I fill in for that run every now and then. (your barn) That's a long way over there and back every night. I don't mind filling in but don't think I'd want to dog it out every night. I met some ity bitty feller last time I ran it. He was wondering what took me so long. Nobody told him I couldn't leave till 2200 because I didn't go on break until 12 earlier that day. He wasn't big enough to get mad though. Lol

Estes is the place to be. Great pay and benefit and more job security than any other LTL. It may be hard to hire straight. Into linehaul you may have to put in some time on utility but there's good money there too.

Why not try fuel hauling or even working for a specialized carrier like Airgas, or Praxair where there is steady consistent work I assume or a bit more consistent than freight. They require like 3 yrs and you have to have flawless driving/background record. not trying to turn you away from the Big E as I do not work here, but I work for con-way freight so things are pretty similar. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I hauled fuel for 5 years before I came here. It's a miserable job. I wish I had come here first.

I fill in for that run every now and then. (your barn) That's a long way over there and back every night. I don't mind filling in but don't think I'd want to dog it out every night. I met some ity bitty feller last time I ran it. He was wondering what took me so long. Nobody told him I couldn't leave till 2200 because I didn't go on break until 12 earlier that day. He wasn't big enough to get mad though. Lol

Yeah, little man is quite a fireplug...He's a good guy though....I'm going to take a look at that run again come November, if the right guy gets it from ATL......We'll see...

Yeah, little man is quite a fireplug...He's a good guy though....I'm going to take a look at that run again come November, if the right guy gets it from ATL......We'll see...

Maybe I'll take it. You might have to wait on me though. I'll have to stop for a barbeque sammich at the 205 and visit my girlfriend. I'll need to visit my other girlfriend at the 165 and sit down for a western omelette. Take a 2 hour nap at the 87. squirt the dirt at the state line, then I'll be there.

Maybe I'll take it. You might have to wait on me though. I'll have to stop for a barbeque sammich at the 205 and visit my girlfriend. I'll need to visit my other girlfriend at the 165 and sit down for a western omelette. Take a 2 hour nap at the 87. squirt the dirt at the state line, then I'll be there.

Don't make me call you eddie...You know who I mean....LMAO.....You see, sometimes I have the upper hand...LOL...