Central Transport | looks bad

pup

TB Lurker
Credits
stacking freight has always bothered me but now it is worse. we open trailers in the morning coming from pitt and toledo WHAT A MESS DO NOT STACK MEANS DO NOT STACK broken and smashed freight every day how can we chase greatness with stupidity like this look at it this way think of it as your product that you ordered for your child and that child was beside you when you opened the trailer door and saw the flippin mess would you want to pay someone for that mess i sure wouldnt take some pride and do a good job straps and load bars do wonders if you think its wrong tell supervisor and take pis if he doesnt help go higher lets get all this right the way these trailers look the dock workers at pitt and tol should never wonder why we dont get more money for our jobs 300lb skid on top of light bulbs REALLY GUYS just SAD

And P&D like me spend our time calling in and taking pictures instead of keeping our trucks rolling. I have not seen it, but I was told there was a video on the proper loading of trailers

the dock guys are only doing what they are told to do by management. stack it to the roof and cube it out. keylon knows what they are doing.
stacking freight has always bothered me but now it is worse. we open trailers in the morning coming from pitt and toledo WHAT A MESS DO NOT STACK MEANS DO NOT STACK broken and smashed freight every day how can we chase greatness with stupidity like this look at it this way think of it as your product that you ordered for your child and that child was beside you when you opened the trailer door and saw the flippin mess would you want to pay someone for that mess i sure wouldnt take some pride and do a good job straps and load bars do wonders if you think its wrong tell supervisor and take pis if he doesnt help go higher lets get all this right the way these trailers look the dock workers at pitt and tol should never wonder why we dont get more money for our jobs 300lb skid on top of light bulbs REALLY GUYS just SAD

I have had a interview with fed ex Friday i might call it quits after 11 years its sad but my terminal is out of all control.. dam shame

best of luck,,, the grass is not always greener on the other side,,,,, but considering where we are,,,,, it just may be!!!!!!

I have had a interview with fed ex Friday i might call it quits after 11 years its sad but my terminal is out of all control.. dam shame
been thinking of doing the same thing, don't want to be like Jack and Rose holding on as the ship goes down.

Pup, have to admit the loads from Tol have been pretty bad for quite a while now. They really push the 25K hard. Try 36,428 in your lead trailer. When it was refused, they back-stripped to 24,700. Did not down stack any of it until I refused it also. The DO NOT DOUBLE STACK was not, it was triple stacked. Had to get on the lift and spread it out myself. As far as straps go, my TM passed out 2 boxes of brand new ones awhile back--last we ever saw of them. Rarely see a load bar. We get heavy rope to tie down HAZMAT drums now. Just waiting for Mr. Roadside Inspector to pass judgement on that one. Our night loaders get maybe $9.50/hr. so what do they care. We try to work with the one's that show promise but some of them just don't give a damn. TM say's he's going to be cutting some of them out starting this week so maybe it will begin to inprove from our term.

I will put my .02 in here because this has been a HUGE issue and partly because it's all I can afford to put in anyway.

I have been hearing about OS&D claims for years now, not something new at all. Each time it's brought up in a meeting I simply ask where is the proper equipment to load correctly? Cardboard alone is not the answer, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Load bars are like gold, even if you find one chances are high it's broke. You have to search the terminal just to find a strap. Load tables are used up quickly so toward the middle or end of the night those are gone. We cannot reduce damages without proper equipment. Even having the right tool for the job is only half the problem.

The other half if training. There are many part-timers, with more on the way, without some much as a clue to what is happening. And from what I have seen they just give these guys loads and let them loose upon the dock. It's like a battle royal out there. I just love seeing a guy who has been there less then three months training a new guy. When you try and help them they don't listen because your not a supervisor...

Ah well, winter is coming and that will thin the herd out. At least until next spring, when the revolving door of hiring will once again keep turning.

Let me add this on the part-timers. Some of them just walk around in a daze....Why bother training them....They will forget what they have been taught by the next day. The company might want to remember, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me add this on the part-timers. Some of them just walk around in a daze....Why bother training them....They will forget what they have been taught by the next day. The company might want to remember, you get what you pay for.

NOT just the rookies only! We have a couple linehauls who like to just stand around and collect jacks from our P&D then go hide till next one comes in, but then there also is the few who say "I am on the clock, whatta need done" and they do their job.

the best tool to keeping a load secure, is air bags. we have the bags, we have the air hose, but we dont have the dockhands with the first clue how to use them. At 4pm and on, it is a rat race on the dock, you have your lumpers that lump all night long, you can always pick out your best dockhand..... all you have to do is watch the loading doors and find the guy who just stay with-in 15 doors and all he does is re-work trailers all night. that is 9 hours of wasted $$$$. all that shows me is that the 15 other guys on the dock have no clue on how to load trailers. on the dock at my barn you have 3 catagories. 1 the original vitran lumpers,which work during the daytime cuz they got the senority to do so.and they have a chip on their shoulder for the fact that they have been here for more then 3 yrs and havent seen a raise. 2 the lumpers that came along with milan, most of them are older, and when I say older I mean 50 and over. And almost all of them had 15 years plus. they lose their senority, they take a big pay cut, some of them lost the insurance, and remember people how old I said most of them are, 50 and over, so you know what that means, it is more then unlikely they will find another good paying job. Lets face it most employers want that young kid who they can groom on how the job gets done in the employers eyes, not some guy who has been in the game for decades and know one way on doing the job... their way, like the saying goes. "you cant teach a old dog new tricks". and finally number 3. these are the new guys, and these are the ones with a chip on their shoulder, cuz they have no insurance, and if they did at once it got stripped. they will probley never see a raise, well they might, if they get their CDL, well they would, if they could, but most of them cant afford it with getting paid $10 a hr, and most of them have familys, and then you got to remember the quility of employees vitran has been hiring lately, the bottoom of the barrel, and at the bottom most of them have something on their mvr to stop them from even trying to get a CDL. so it seems to me the people that work on the dock, are not properly trained, not properly paod, and most of all they dont have the proper equipment on the dock to get the job done right, yeah you can load high and tight all you want, but you have to use common sense when doing so, load bars, stack racks, air bags, dunnage, thats all I got for you today.

"you cant teach a old dog new tricks".

Will have to disagree with this one, this 'old dog' still continues to learn. Especially with all the low end freight we handle and the lack of equipment. Plus there is no substitute for experience.

I can already tell new management suffers from 'tall tower' syndrome. I rarely see any of our leaders actually on the dock taking an interest in what happens or rather doesn't. Everything is viewed from afar and seen as numbers. They can tell there is a problem but can't see who, what, or where it lies and how to fix it.

Sorry to be the one who has to say this but coming to this company, you might have to get your hands dirty.

Will have to disagree with this one, this 'old dog' still continues to learn. Especially with all the low end freight we handle and the lack of equipment. Plus there is no substitute for experience.

I can already tell new management suffers from 'tall tower' syndrome. I rarely see any of our leaders actually on the dock taking an interest in what happens or rather doesn't. Everything is viewed from afar and seen as numbers. They can tell there is a problem but can't see who, what, or where it lies and how to fix it.

Sorry to be the one who has to say this but coming to this company, you might have to get your hands dirty.
Numbers is all that mgt. cares about!You can tell them of a problem, show them an isssue, but very rarely can you pry them away from their desk long enough to walk them out on that cold, wet, windy dock so that they can see firsthand what that breakbulk center just sent you! all they want to know is "are you about to wrap it up?" I am thinking, "just come out here and take a look for yourself"! It's not like we are having a party out here. If we had adequate equipment to work with AND if we didnt have to spend half of the morning Re-couping some crap someone else tore up, then I could have all of your routes loaded on time!!!

PARTY? Oh just what we need (the NON political type :smile:)

"Got the pig in the ground, got some beer on ice, everybody's coming over tonight :19:"...What's the address?