Estes | Mandatory 6th day

steercrazee

TB Veteran
Credits
Mandatory 6th day starting again at some terminals. They want the freight off the docks on the weekend so they can fix their numbers to make them look good. Several drivers believe as well as somebody in management is probably getting a bonus or something since they are always concerned so much about numbers. I wonder if management is working a 6th here or there? Then not have enough freight for some of the monday folks. They are starting to watch the numbers on the samsara as well as far as r.p.m.s, coasting and excessive idling time so the company can be more cost efficient. Of course a computer generated system gives the all the info they need on how a driver can be perfect. Id like to see management jump in one of the tractors and show us for a week how to be perfect.

Mandatory 6th day starting again at some terminals. They want the freight off the docks on the weekend so they can fix their numbers to make them look good. Several drivers believe as well as somebody in management is probably getting a bonus or something since they are always concerned so much about numbers. I wonder if management is working a 6th here or there? Then not have enough freight for some of the monday folks. They are starting to watch the numbers on the samsara as well as far as r.p.m.s, coasting and excessive idling time so the company can be more cost efficient. Of course a computer generated system gives the all the info they need on how a driver can be perfect. Id like to see management jump in one of the tractors and show us for a week how to be perfect.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't getting the freight to the customer quickly take precedence over everything else? Not for anything but LTL freight is a service industry isn't it? OK, fire away! :idunno:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't getting the freight to the customer quickly take precedence over everything else? Not for anything but LTL freight is a service industry isn't it? OK, fire away! :idunno:
Somewhat on topic and off topic to what u said but corporate and sales have said after extensive research that now the majority of customers are preferring cost over service. It used to be who can get it there the fastest and nowadays it’s a lot of who can get it there the cheapest..

They said if we call off on the mandatory it counts as points , if this is the case we should be allowed to use a vacation or personal day to cover this

Why not use the workforce more effective. Have some drivers start on sat or sun for their starts instead of doing this and then cutting drivers on mondays for lack of freight. Also it's mostly the big terminals. The small terminals don't do it. Also the wild drivers could be utilized better. There are ways of hauling the freight and taking care of the customers by just thinking outside the box.

Somewhat on topic and off topic to what u said but corporate and sales have said after extensive research that now the majority of customers are preferring cost over service. It used to be who can get it there the fastest and nowadays it’s a lot of who can get it there the cheapest..
Ohhhhhhh so that’s why FedEx freight is using more and more rails? Service isn’t a big preference anymore. Makes a lot of sense lol

That’s what I was going to say… if the freight is due then of course they have to run it. Freight has always built in the system though the week.

How did that work out for Yeller?

You still have to follow dot regs.

So I know they have bids that for example got out of Saturday night and return home Thursday morning. Are you saying they can force a 6th day where you get home Friday now?

So I know they have bids that for example got out of Saturday night and return home Thursday morning. Are you saying they can force a 6th day where you get home Friday now?
If it's your short week they can require you to work an extra day. If you do five days of turns they can require yo to work an extra day.

They have changed it back to voluntary until further notice we were told today. Don't know why unless the freight isn't there , but at any rate it made a lot of drivers happy. They usually have enough wanting the extra pay.