FedEx Freight | Mandatory dock work for Road drivers

manmover

TB Lurker
Credits
Nashville is forcing Road drivers to come in just to work the dock. Are there any other terminals forcing this requirement? This is only a question not a complaint

It's an option in my building, but not a requirement. Dispatch will call and say "you can slide to next block or work the dock".

I think they started doing it because guys were filing for unemployment when no runs were available.

I would just come in for 6 hours and GTFO. I wouldn’t show up til 9 but the guys that showed up at 7 usually got a good turn. My give a F usually wears off after 4 hours anyways lol. Don’t miss those days.

If your run is canceled or you are an extra bored driver with no run available, you are required to come and and work the dock for 8 hours. This started about 5 months ago.
Let me guess, this is only on the PM side? You should try to apply their logic on Monday morning. Call in at 9am if you didn't get a run and let them know you're on your way in to work the dock for 8 hours.

We’ve been doing this for a while. Although it’s always been optional, never forced. Really don’t need to force when some drivers are only getting a run or two a week. I would make more money pounding the dock than I would on unemployment so it’s an easy decision. Your mileage, however, may very.

Sounds like Nashville is having issues on their dock. Like S69 said it’s always been an option for us and if you have enough guys under you on the PM you can just choose to slide to the Hub or AM but never forced to work the dock

If your run is canceled or you are an extra bored driver with no run available, you are required to come and and work the dock for 8 hours. This started about 5 months ago.
Why would someone not want to come in and work the dock if there isn't a run available? I'm here to make money. Don't make much sitting at the house hoping you get a run.

It's a gamble. 2 decent runs will pay the same as 40 dock hours. It's all a matter of how comfortable you are with rolling the dice.
Also has to do with way people set their lifestyle up. Not every single FedEx employee solely depends on Fedex income. There’s other things in life that makes money

But correct S69 you can do 2 580-640 mile runs and it makes close to working the dock all week. You still fall short but you only worked 2 days.. at the end of the day all this crap is FedEx fault. We been dealing with this for over a year now and the work just isn’t consistent enough

We have road drivers that are willing to take a cc to help out the lower drivers, but this new practice makes that impossible to do, because if you choose not to run to help someone else you must come in and work the dock.

We have road drivers that are willing to take a cc to help out the lower drivers, but this new practice makes that impossible to do, because if you choose not to run to help someone else you must come in and work the dock.

That doesn't sound right. A driver with a bid has the option to slide to the next block or hold out to preserve their bid spot. They can't be forced to take something else.

well i guess reasonable deduction leads me to believe Nashville is making up new rules not posted in the knowledge base. Like I posted earlier, im not trying to cause a stink. Im just trying to find out if this is just a nashville thing, or if other terminals are practicing this approach.

well i guess reasonable deduction leads me to believe Nashville is making up new rules not posted in the knowledge base. Like I posted earlier, im not trying to cause a stink. Im just trying to find out if this is just a nashville thing, or if other terminals are practicing this approach.
If they're not giving the option, you need to call the alert line. That's against policy, as I understand.

Ask for a text stating it’s a CC day. That’s an excused absence. They can’t call you in after that. Similar situation but in the city by me. Was told to make sure the morning person tells me it’s a cc day so I know I’m off the entire day, not forced to come in at 6 to work dock and do a turn.

After reading this chaos in the forums I’m glad I stay on grounds side lol. Had a frieght driver bragging in my face at Pilot he makes $145K a year with a 600 mile run.

Made frieght sound so good. But little does he know I read these forums. Only the drivers with Seniority have it made.

Say what you want about ground but my contractor pays me $85K a year. All drop and hook. Same route every day. Good health insurance and I mean good. Actually sounds better than frieght. You guys have United healthcare just like we do. I pay $30.56 a week for it. $4000 a year deductible max. And 401K at 3% match. We have a $50 dollar platinum plan with a $1500 yearly max. 9 hour shifts with rare 10 hour shifts sometimes. And I mean right at 10 hours. everyday. M-F. And no dock work.

Only way I’ll leave is to go to Cli transport or UPS. Only jobs in my area I see as being better. Freight has never impressed me. Dock work is so bad. Did it at A. Duie pyle a bunch of snakes and corrupt supervisors.