TForce | Meeting in Indianapolis

Apostolic said:
You all think UPS wants there freight division,(UPS Freight) to be be unionized,with a contract that has all the rules of operation spelled out leaving no gray areas?

Where now with the old Overnite rules there is room for debate,that maybe you didn't understand what the company wanted,with any given policy issue.

With a union contract all the language is clear,if you break the rules you can grieve it but in the long run if its written out,you'll ultimatly suffer the consequences of your error.

I do recall my old union days,when someone messed up,they got written up,the next time it was 3 days off without pay,if you just couldn't seem to get it the next time it was a week without pay,or termination,depending how bad the violation was.
Since I've been away from the union for all these years maybe this process has changed?

I know from working at Overnite over 20 years now,that they have a lot of calling people into the office for a talking too.
A letter in your file,maybe a threat of termination,but thats about it.

I believe that UPS is so used to dealling with their parcel workers through the Teamsters,maybe they'd rather have their freight division the same way.
Apo, you are a smart guy and I always love reading your posts'. UPS probably would rather their freight division be non union, but that is not their main focus. Their focus is trying to spend the least and make the most. UPS makes so much money and does so much business in so many countries, they have to be careful on that they don't lose to much business and money focusing too much on not being union. I know alot of people don't agree with me but having the union made UPS what it is today. They have to be creative in making profits while paying their employees high salaries. They try to, but can't screw their employees like other companies can because of the union. That makes UPS like no other company. They are #1. We need the union. The reason why I say that is because right now at my terminal in CLT, they treat us like we are in the union but we don't have any protection. we can't file a greivance. So what do we do ask them to treat us better because we didn't vote the union in? They are gonna laugh at us. They are going to treat us the same way they treat their parcel people union or not, because the way they have been doing it over there makes them 40 Billion/year in revenue and they love it.

just-me said:
Thank You. ,If some were a little more understanding than they could learn things:tweety:

you are very welcome

wish you guys the best
rock on....................
good job to get it this far

* Employers prohibited from subcontracting any work in the United States
to a Mexican carrier;
So then they will still be free to subcontract linehaul loads to Joe Blows Trucking, while our guys sit at home?

You have got to be kidding

Skeeter said:
Not disappointed at all. You guys keep up the good work. It helps our wages go up even if we don't choose to go union.

By the way I guess that means you guys and Reno don't get the raise the first of the year. It has to be negotiated.

Well, good luck hope it don't take to long and you get better wages and benefits than UPS gives us.

But I doubt it.
You cross a man's picket line and you can say this? You have got to be kidding??

Browne1 said:
Apo, you are a smart guy and I always love reading your posts'. UPS probably would rather their freight division be non union, but that is not their main focus. Their focus is trying to spend the least and make the most. UPS makes so much money and does so much business in so many countries, they have to be careful on that they don't lose to much business and money focusing too much on not being union. I know alot of people don't agree with me but having the union made UPS what it is today. They have to be creative in making profits while paying their employees high salaries. They try to, but can't screw their employees like other companies can because of the union. That makes UPS like no other company. They are #1. We need the union. The reason why I say that is because right now at my terminal in CLT, they treat us like we are in the union but we don't have any protection. we can't file a greivance. So what do we do ask them to treat us better because we didn't vote the union in? They are gonna laugh at us. They are going to treat us the same way they treat their parcel people union or not, because the way they have been doing it over there makes them 40 Billion/year in revenue and they love it.
Great post. It is pretty much the truth.

hugnlug said:
Great post. It is pretty much the truth.

I have said it before and I will say it again. UPS is interested in only one thing, to be the biggest, baddest, Brown machine in the world. This is where the shift in the economy is going, LP3'S. This is the ultimate goal, of any company in the business. So with that said , you people can sit here and say and play, bad union, good union all you want, This talk give's no justice or credibility to anything UPS has done or is doing. The truth is they did it with the union!!!!!!!

Do all of you really think that if UPS was really worried about thier freight division being union, they would have agreed to a card check?

UPS has more dough than O ever did too fight the union. If they truely believed they did not want thier freight division to be union, I am quite sure they would have fought , just as O did. Think about this. I am almost quite sure as well that when they put the seal of approval on our purchase agreement, and knowing the problems we had in the past with the teamster's ,that the moves by the teamster's was almost predictable way before there was any plans of purchase. This is the reason for the card check agreement, and the negotiations ,and a possible contract, so please put 2+2 together and see the big picture, which is more than just us.

Accelerator said:
I have said it before and I will say it again. UPS is interested in only one thing, to be the biggest, baddest, Brown machine in the world. This is where the shift in the economy is going, LP3'S. This is the ultimate goal, of any company in the business. So with that said , you people can sit here and say and play, bad union, good union all you want, This talk give's no justice or credibility to anything UPS has done or is doing. The truth is they did it with the union!!!!!!!

Do all of you really think that if UPS was really worried about thier freight division being union, they would have agreed to a card check?

UPS has more dough than O ever did too fight the union. If they truely believed they did not want thier freight division to be union, I am quite sure they would have fought , just as O did. Think about this. I am almost quite sure as well that when they put the seal of approval on our purchase agreement, and knowing the problems we had in the past with the teamster's ,that the moves by the teamster's was almost predictable way before there was any plans of purchase. This is the reason for the card check agreement, and the negotiations ,and a possible contract, so please put 2+2 together and see the big picture, which is more than just us.
So, Ups wouldn't be what it is today if it didn't have the Union. Not to say it hasn't hurt but to say they wouldn't be where they are today I just don't see that. They sold a service and built it into a household name and continue to strive for more. And as far as the freight company going Union I think they just want to get the process over with asap so they can grow the freight division. They can't afford a big media battle with the Union just like O . So they are going to let everyone decide if be so

Its all about their world famous brand.
They are willing to protect their brand at all costs.
This is a very big reason UPS is implementing all their proven safety methods.
They are looking at accident prevention,to keep their brand from becoming a negative image.
Look what happens just on the truckingboards, when theres a trucking accident its is bad press going across the intire north American continent via the computer.
All can see companies brands crushed,burned,or on top of other vehicles,in the truck accident forum.

So with anything that will give UPS bad press, they are willing to do what they can to avoid it.

SlowRide said:
So, Ups wouldn't be what it is today if it didn't have the Union. Not to say it hasn't hurt but to say they wouldn't be where they are today I just don't see that. They sold a service and built it into a household name and continue to strive for more. And as far as the freight company going Union I think they just want to get the process over with asap so they can grow the freight division. They can't afford a big media battle with the Union just like O . So they are going to let everyone decide if be so

No I am not incinuating that UPS would or would not be anything with or with out the union, I am saying that it's time to be practical . UPS did it with the union, and they did ,All I hear is how the union will kill this company and how the union this and the union that.

For all practical purposes there is no other argument in that statement. They did it with the union!!!!

Are you suggesting that UPS cannot make us a big ,successful,co. if we are union?

I am sorry but we are simply, for all practical purposes, jumping to conclusions for making such a statement when there is no justification or tangibility in it.

And yes I am sure UPS wants this to be over with , but on the same note in the global view, I amsure we can both agree it is a smidgen of a problem for them and is more of a nuscence for us!!!!!

UPS may have been just as successful without the union but we will never know. All I know is that UPS has smart people in places where they need to be. Because they have such an attractive wage and benefit package, the have thousands of college graduates running their package cars. They have a highly intelligent workforce. This is why they are number one. This is why with the union, we at UPS Freight will be number one.

The Union doesnt kill companies..........bad management does.
UPS has excelled and will continue to do so.You UPSFers are being given an opportunity at representation. Which will provide you with a contract, a guranteed yearly raise(instead of rumors of one), COLA, no cost insurance, COO rights, etc......
But youve been told this on this forum over and over. Hopefully there are more UPSFers like accelerator out there who realize these are all good things, and not a bunch of those who wouldnt know a good thing if it slapped them upside there head.

Yes Krash I agree with you,there is very good benefits in place for your NMFA cotract.
All if us UPSers are waitting to see what the content of the Indy negociations are being brought to the table.

The only other issue,is insted of dealling directly with our company,we will be represented by an outside organization.
That will be a new concept for most of us workers.

I say if we are to be a Teamster company some time in the future, than my only hope is that the Teamster representation will be equal,for one,and all.

Apo,
How are you dealing with the company one on one now? Are you negotiating one on one your benefits, pay, sick time, rules,....etc? Probably not. Now, I can go and talk to my mngr one on one about concerns/violations. If he doesnt address those concerns, then I can have my steward or BA step in thru the grievance process.

OK Krash you are 100% right on.
We can't offer any compamy input other than their yearly survey.
Your also right about UPS freight's open door policy that we can talk to our TM's whenever we want,and their not busy of course.

So what was I thinking?
I must have gotten on the truckingboards to early,and all my brains where half asleep.

But than again how much input do Teamsters have with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters?

krash said:
Apo,
How are you dealing with the company one on one now? Are you negotiating one on one your benefits, pay, sick time, rules,....etc? Probably not. Now, I can go and talk to my mngr one on one about concerns/violations. If he doesnt address those concerns, then I can have my steward or BA step in thru the grievance process.
I for one do not like my TM. He tries to intimidate people and make them quit. I called Richmond one time to make a complaint about some of the things that were going on and the next day I was in the office by myself with three other supervisors. Under a union contract I would have had someone in there with me who could represent me in that uncomfortable situation. And as far as talking to them about concerns and violations, the managers at UPSF already know what they are doing is illegal. Once you let them know that you know what they are doing the try to blackball you or try to get you to quit. That is why I can't wait for them all to be gone.

Yes I agree,I've had very bad TM's to work under,but with the power of God on my side.

I found out its always against the law to kill anyone with bullets.
So I do it with kindness.

Believe it or not,I've seen TM's come,and I've seen them go.
By the Power of prayer in Jesus name I'm still being blessed to be enjoying my job at UPS Freight.

20 years and still very happy with my job,with all of its short comings,its better than welfair,or unemployement.
I know people that are in wheel chairs,or bed ridin,that would love to trade places with me.

So as always my prayer to you all, is my post signature at the bottom of all my posts.

Apostolic said:
Yes I agree,I've had very bad TM's to work under,but with the power of God on my side.

I found out its always against the law to kill anyone with bullets.
So I do it with kindness.
You claim to be a religious man...and your saying the law is what prevents you from killing a man with bullets?

Believe it or not,I've seen TM's come,and I've seen them go.
By the Power of prayer in Jesus name I'm still being blessed to be enjoying my job at UPS Freight.

20 years and still very happy with my job,with all of its short comings,its better than welfair,or unemployement.
If it is only better than welfare or unemployement....maybe your not as blessed as you would like to think.

I know people that are in wheel chairs,or bed ridin,that would love to trade places with me.
WOW, You've got it good.

So as always my prayer to you all, is my post signature at the bottom of all my posts
.How rude...it's not there, but thats ok....I direct my own path.

I know this post wont go over well, but I thought this was a trucking forum...not a place of worship.
So ban me if you must, at least I won't have to endure any more sermons.

Browne1 said:
I called Richmond one time to make a complaint about some of the things that were going on and the next day I was in the office by myself with three other supervisors. Under a union contract I would have had someone in there with me who could represent me in that uncomfortable situation.
You would never catch me in a office with a two or three on one. It is your right to have a witness in there with you regardless of union / non-union!! As far as one on one, bring it on. It there world against yours.