Holland | Merger is off?

Replying to Puff Driver.
"I thought that had already began merging operations?" They have. That may be difficult attempting to put them back together again? They have no intention of doing that. Especially after terminals were sold off. Exactly.
Or this is an excuse to completely shut those operations down without withdrawal penalties to help reduce expenses?? They are not shutting down any operating subsidiaries. They can't, Yellow Corporation does not have any D.O.T. operating authority. They are going to combine operations and some terminals will be renamed but remain under the Yellow brand. By doing that they will avoid any potential pension withdrawal penalties.
The hubris of pups versus vans is a waste. The union cannot tell the company what type of trailers they use to transport THEIR freight. Like it or not, every CDL holding Teamster will be subject to operating whatever equipment they are assigned. Training on unfamiliar equipment will be provided, of course.
The issue of operation of LCVs is addressed in the NMFA Article 43 Section 9. And the Holland road drivers who previously operated long doubles will be in a rather awkward position when it comes to LCVs.
So Mr. Albag, , where do you think the union is going in regards to this change and opposing it? I don't see how they can stop the change based on road drivers having to do dock work. They already have utility language and also Holland uses Designated Terminal drivers , where they're handling freight, already. Many people think the union can stop this, I just don't see what lever they pull. Curious on what you. think.

The issue of operation of LCVs is addressed in the NMFA Article 43 Section 9. And the Holland road drivers who previously operated long doubles will be in a rather awkward position when it comes to LCVs.
Would you explain your reason for this?

Yellow Corp. plans to close two trucking terminals in Cheektowaga and combine their operations at a location in the Town of Tonawanda.
The trucking company notified the state Department of Labor that it will close its New Penn and Holland regional carrier locations, on Transit Road next to the Thruway exchange, on May 28. Their operations will be combined with a larger Yellow distribution center on Milens Road in the Town of Tonawanda.

The impact on local jobs has not yet been disclosed. According to a notice filed with the state Department of Labor, the two Cheektowaga terminals employ a total of 120 workers. But Yellow said "many of our impacted Buffalo employees will be presented with other local Yellow opportunities," so it is not clear how many layoffs will result from the terminals closing.
"In 2022, we communicated this change to our local employees and continue to discuss with them opportunities available at the larger facility," Yellow said in a statement.
"Buffalo will continue to be an important hub for Yellow," the company continued. "We have a strong Buffalo employee base that serves our customers well, and we remain committed to ensuring excellent customer service in Buffalo and elsewhere both throughout and after the completion of our One Yellow enterprise transformation."
One Yellow is an initiative of the Kansas-based company that has included cost cutting, consolidation of brands and the closing of some facilities.
An official with Teamsters Local 449 did not respond to messages to comment on Yellow's plans for the Buffalo area. Nationally, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters in mid February pushed back against revised change-of-operations notifications sent to the union earlier that month.

"The Teamsters are done making concessions and we will not be pushed around," Teamsters General President Sean M. O'Brien said. "Our focus rests solely on protecting our members. If Yellow management gets in the way of that, we will go after this company with everything we've got."

Matt Glynn

Would you explain your reason for this?
Any Holland driver is already in possession of permits for LCVs issued by the Ohio Turnpike Commission and the Indiana Toll Road. If you are qualified to pull long doubles, wouldn't it be hypocritical to assert that you AREN'T qualified to pull double 28' pups?
Read Article 43 Section 9 of YRC Freight's contract. I'm pretty sure similar language is included in Holland's contract. If you meet the necessary qualifications, you are required CONTRACTUALLY to apply for a permit for LCVs. Also, if you have a fully endorsed CDL, you have an endorsement for triples.
Section 9. Triples All drivers who are CDL qualified and eligible to be certified for triples or LCV’s (longer combination vehicles) operation must apply for certification as soon as reasonable and possible.

Last edited:
Merger is going to happen , Union just blowing smoke to make themselves look good , after look back at who Okayed for the "Shiny Wheels" to pull our trailers and who Okayed work rule changes and -15% pay cuts ! History shows many Smoke Screens over the years !

So Mr. Albag, , where do you think the union is going in regards to this change and opposing it? I don't see how they can stop the change based on road drivers having to do dock work. They already have utility language and also Holland uses Designated Terminal drivers , where they're handling freight, already. Many people think the union can stop this, I just don't see what lever they pull. Curious on what you. think.
It is going to be approved. The company has been laying the groundwork for this for nearly 20 years. As you so correctly stated. They have slowly lowered the bar to the point they have felt for many years. Which is a Teamster should be able to do any work group's work.
And the ridiculous assertions that they cannot make Holland and New Penn pull doubles astounds me. No committee will ever consider telling Yellow what size trailers to use and how to use them.
I understand that my opinion will be upsetting to many. But I believe reality will prevail.

Any Holland driver is already in possession of permits for LCVs issued by the Ohio Turnpike Commission and the Indiana Toll Road. If you are qualified to pull long doubles, wouldn't it be hypocritical to assert that you AREN'T qualified to pull double 28' pups?
Read Article 43 Section 9 of YRC Freight's contract. I'm pretty sure similar language is included in Holland's contract. If you meet the necessary qualifications, you are required CONTRACTUALLY to apply for a permit for LCVs. Also, if you have a fully endorsed CDL, you have an endorsement for triples.
Section 9. Triples All drivers who are CDL qualified and eligible to be certified for triples or LCV’s (longer combination vehicles) operation must apply for certification as soon as reasonable and possible.
I understand what your point is now. Thank you for explaining it.

Merger is going to happen , Union just blowing smoke to make themselves look good , after look back at who Okayed for the "Shiny Wheels" to pull our trailers and who Okayed work rule changes and -15% pay cuts ! History shows many Smoke Screens over the years !
One caveat, we approved the changes to the NMFA. Yellow proposed them and a majority of Yellow Teamsters voted yes.

The union will huff and puff and do nothing. Unions are big business. They will do anything necessary to keep Yellow on life support and keep the dues money flowing.
BTW: Did you know Yellow pulls a lot of triples?

The union will huff and puff and do nothing. Unions are big business. They will do anything necessary to keep Yellow on life support and keep the dues money flowing.
BTW: Did you know Yellow pulls a lot of triples?
1988-2018, 30 years with Roadway/YRC Freight pulling triples for more than half of those years. I ran triples from Chicago Heights to North Lima, Chicago Heights to Harrisburg, Chicago Heights to Cleveland/Akron, in sleepers, Grand Junction to Las Vegas and Salt Lake City to Reno. Frankly, pulling 3 was easier than vans and doubles. Because the significantly reduced volume of traffic on the toll roads and out west. Less traffic less stress.

One caveat, we approved the changes to the NMFA. Yellow proposed them and a majority of Yellow Teamsters voted yes , ,, We are our own worst enemy by voting YES and then drivers call them "Scabs " ?? Well the only 'Scabs " are the teamsters that voted YES for it !!

1988-2018, 30 years with Roadway/YRC Freight pulling triples for more than half of those years. I ran triples from Chicago Heights to North Lima, Chicago Heights to Harrisburg, Chicago Heights to Cleveland/Akron, in sleepers, Grand Junction to Las Vegas and Salt Lake City to Reno. Frankly, pulling 3 was easier than vans and doubles. Because the significantly reduced volume of traffic on the toll roads and out west. Less traffic less stress.
And none of the freight was double stacked either? Correct?

It is going to be approved. The company has been laying the groundwork for this for nearly 20 years. As you so correctly stated. They have slowly lowered the bar to the point they have felt for many years. Which is a Teamster should be able to do any work group's work.
And the ridiculous assertions that they cannot make Holland and New Penn pull doubles astounds me. No committee will ever consider telling Yellow what size trailers to use and how to use them.
I understand that my opinion will be upsetting to many. But I believe reality will prevail.

I agree it will be passed. YRC will continue to tell union this will be needed for operational survival, which it probably is needed, but we all know they are not equipped to do it properly. But, the union knows it's not good for the brand if they paint the company into a corner and there is job loss. Our stewards met this week with company and they didn't agree on anything, it sounds like. When our steward asked labor lady about a plan C , she said there isn't one and talked about their terrible financial condition.