Mergers In Canada

Kingsway was merged into TST approximately a year and a half ago, yeah. The Kingsway name still appears on trailers and some errant tractors, but all drivers work for TST. QuikX took their place at Interport and at St. Laurent. I park my truck at the Oshawa terminal and Kingsway remains on the sign, but Canpar runs a sort in the empty half of the terminal now.

I hadn't heard that St. Catharines closed. Overland built that place didn't they?
They probably did many years ago. The barn was a old antique. They were still running a US Buffalo NY operation with direct service to Western NY out of the St Kitts barn. I assume the work has been moved to the interline agreement with Saia LTL Freight. They partnered up with them a few years ago after a long relationship with Estes Express Lines. Saia now has a terminal in Buffalo which was part of their northeast expansion.

They probably did many years ago. The barn was a old antique. They were still running a US Buffalo NY operation with direct service to Western NY out of the St Kitts barn. I assume the work has been moved to the interline agreement with Saia LTL Freight. They partnered up with them a few years ago after a long relationship with Estes Express Lines. Saia now has a terminal in Buffalo which was part of their northeast expansion.
All of Overland's direct US service disappeared when Estes moved into the border region, though the old terminal in Flint still has the name on it.

Saia doesn't actually have a terminal of their own in Buffalo. They were using Land Air Express of New England's terminal for a while but Saia's guys said it's moved to another carrier.

Interestingly (in that terrible TFI way) the Saia contract came to Overland from Concord Transportation. Concord still technically exists...but their OTR operations were absorbed into Roadfast long before any equipment got the swoosh treatment. To service Saia, Roadfast abducted most of McArthur Express' newer trailers because they had captive beams in them. One of those trailers remains stranded in Fontana after the TST takeover despite Roadfast having continued running the service for them, because Overland provided trailers.

Now Roadfast is Laidlaw, McArthur is run by Laidlaw and nobody seems to realize a trailer is missing. Saia uses it for P&D since they don't know what else to do with it. They diligently send the safety every year to McArthur's address in Cambridge...but I suspect there's nobody there who knows what to do with it.

I had the privilege of finding an old Concord trailer in Mississauga, complete with a Roadfast sticker, a Highland Transport service record and a Laidlaw service record...with Clarke freight on it. This company man...

All of Overland's direct US service disappeared when Estes moved into the border region, though the old terminal in Flint still has the name on it.

Saia doesn't actually have a terminal of their own in Buffalo. They were using Land Air Express of New England's terminal for a while but Saia's guys said it's moved to another carrier.

Saia opened terminals in Tonawanda, Syracuse and Albany(Colonie) NY in 2019. They also opened Burlington VT in 2020 and Concord NH in 2019.

Yeah they took over a bunch of NEMF terminals after they went under.
Yes Saia is open in Buffalo and operating in Tonawanda in the old NEMF barn. Opened approx 6 months ago. They did a rehab and fixed up the old girl before moving in. Currently operating with 10 P&D drivers and 3 Road drivers. That will increase with time. They also cover the greater Rochester NY area thru the Buffalo terminal with direct coverage.

Yes Saia had to dump Land Air Express last year when they had to close down for a week for D.O.T violations. They used Teal's Express for awhile in between opening up their own facility.