Modeling N scale 1979-1980 tractor-trailers

midwayglen

Midway Glen Memorial Railway
Credits
Hello to all. As an N-scale model railroader with a passion for detail, I realize that the best place to find the right info on certain things is not in a model railroading forum. Those forums are great for all things train; track laying, scenery weathering, etc, etc., but detailed info is limited when you are modeling something like a fallen-flag trucking company.

I found and joined trucking board to hopefully find some useful information that'll help me in my modeling project. This will be a memorial railway, a salute to yesteryear that includes many familiar but forgotten icons, set in a small valley somewhere between Heaven and earth. My first 2 entries to this thread are two legendary trucking companies (one also a textile giant for much of the 20th century), Associated Transport and Burlington Industries, both founded in my hometown, within blocks of my old homeplace. I've included photos of prototypes and available models I have, that will stripped and painted to match, as closely as possible, the originals. Thanks for taking time to read this and I wish everyone a safe & happy Memorial Day, 2023 :)

206767378b16f462cddf17937f29e3f0.md.jpeg

6a7175f73d0122be8b4d669505469401.md.jpeg

20230408_014842.md.jpeg

20230429_045327.md.jpeg

20230408_015441.md.jpeg

20230408_020522.md.jpeg

20230525_192845.md.jpeg

20230525_191855.md.jpeg

One of these days I will gather up my boxes(and boxes) of my HO scale, and unpack and assemble my layout. Got a coal mine, refinery, city streets, rail yard, lumber yard, creamery, etc., etc. The highlight of the layout is the interior lit whorehouse right next to a church with customers lined up outside, including deacons, bishops, a cardinal or two!!

One of these days I will gather up my boxes(and boxes) of my HO scale, and unpack and assemble my layout. Got a coal mine, refinery, city streets, rail yard, lumber yard, creamery, etc., etc. The highlight of the layout is the interior lit whorehouse right next to a church with customers lined up outside, including deacons, bishops, a cardinal or two!!
do you have a mini scale of of a big rig trying to drive under a low bridge? and broken mirrors lying in the road?

That Burlington Louisville Ford is a good looking unit. You need to bend that stack closer to the cab on the model, it looks goofy.

I have it completely tore down and stripped the factory green (gooped) paint off the body. I'll have to make my own parts and use prototype pics to make it look more realistic. This is super small. Most of the parts will fit inside a bottle cap. It takes a magnifier to work with it. These are closeup photos, notice the texture of the paper it's sitting on. I had to pop the headlights out inside a Ziploc, otherwise they'd disappear. They're about the size of a breadcrumb. Lol

20230409_045433.md.jpeg

20230413_180908.md.jpeg

I'd love to have space for HO. N is really too small, there's stuff you just can't model. You have to compromise on things, like streetlights being slightly over scaled. Most don't notice stuff like that unless it's something obvious.

I have it completely tore down and stripped the factory green (gooped) paint off the body. I'll have to make my own parts and use prototype pics to make it look more realistic. This is super small. Most of the parts will fit inside a bottle cap. It takes a magnifier to work with it. These are closeup photos, notice the texture of the paper it's sitting on. I had to pop the headlights out inside a Ziploc, otherwise they'd disappear. They're about the size of a breadcrumb. Lol

20230409_045433.md.jpeg

20230413_180908.md.jpeg
I had no idea it was that small, tedious work for sure, but worthwhile.