R&L | Money Saving Suggestion

Rented Mule

TB Lurker
Credits
Since it appears the company is hell bent on using Single Axles for linehaul(to save money). How about we retrain dockworkers and supervisors on how to load a trailer so that 1) were not running over gross and 2) we scale out to axle gross. 3) make the loaders and supervisor FINANCIALLY Responsible for the overweight tickets.
I heard from a very reliable source that there was a driver in Bal who got 3 overweights in one week from a meet run.I have been given loads that grossed out as much 89K from the same terminal. Sounds like the company could save a lotta money just by1) loading the trailers properly 2)Starting a reweigh program3)Installing Scales at ALL TERMINALS(Assuming drivers know how to use them)

They need to retrain WIL in what would save money ask the drivers that run for you not a bean counter.We don't want to stay out longer then needs to be granted I don't run L/H anymore,but I know a little bit about a little bit.And some of the slips and terminals such as NEW need to get people out in stead of scewing off in that office Thats what it was like when I went there a few months ago.

I herd they were in shaking things up at NEW the other night. I ran back with our guy that turns. He said the TM was watching over everything.

I herd they were in shaking things up at NEW the other night. I ran back with our guy that turns. He said the TM was watching over everything.
They do that at least once a year and get's better for a month or so and then get's just as bad again. It to bad because NEW has caused the the Company to lose way to many Good Drivers.

first of all 89K won't even work on a screw much less a single. So whatever terminal is doing that hasen't been paying attention since day one. The singles still aren't that bad just don't overload the nose. All of our singles are still being rated for 80K. Since we have started we have had only 1 wghing too much in the nose. Instead of back-stripping my guy called his switch driver up in Wilmington and he drove a twin instead of his single axle. It's not hard to get this done just pay attention to your people and what they are doing.

Only thing is, there's about 4-5000 lbs difference between the tandems and the singles, so if you scale at 78k gross with a single you have to rework the load anyway to pull that with a tandem.

Sad part about your story is the guy might have been able to make it work if he just slid his fifth wheel up.

I know you can get a set with a single to scale out at 80k my point is that most Dockworkers and Supervisors that i have run across have no clue as to how to load a trailer or even to Check weights of bills. The set that scaled at 89k should have scaled at 75k according the Manifest Weights .That's a pretty big difference. I know we had a past Dock Supervisor that couldn't understand what the problem was when somebody refused to hook to pup he had put 30K in.Nobody is showing them or telling them how to distribute the weight . I know when i worked at Con-Way we were always told a max of 44K in both boxes combined with a max lead of no more than 24K

yeah I hear ya...the best one we got to scale in philly was on a richmond slip where the lead was 26K and the tail was 13K. Funny thing I even saved the gate pass on that one. The driver radio'd in and said the scale tipped out at an even 80K. Dumb luck!!!
Sometimes it's tough to call with some of the pickups we get where the customer is flat out lieing to us about the wgts, but that's where you need to have at least a couple of decent guys on your crew running lifts to say what a minute, these fours skids of tile weigh more then 2,000lbs. The problem is lately everybody is so short-handed that the first guy through the door is getting a job and he might of been working at pizza hut last week. Not the best way to run a terminal.
Later....

That why they need to maybe train for a week.2or3 days in a class about blocking and bracing,the right way to load you know not a small skid in front of a tall skid.And tell them that freight rides best against freight.And I know that 2 or 3 days in a class is hard but that way we have TMs that way they are not short a man on the dock.But this is all in theory thing that I think out loud.

I ran into the same problem last night. 26k lead with a 10k tail scaled over 80k. It was only 160lbs over gross, but that's besides the point. Who's the one that missed 6k of freight on the manifest? This is the third time this has happened in the past couple of weeks.

Again, people just need to pay attention. Also, one good point made by one of our drivers. When you hire all part time dockworkers they seem not to care as much as a full time employee. They might have another job, still live with mom whatever. On the other hand with full timers usually that is their only job, only source of income and most will pay more attention and generally care more. Sad part is company won't do it due to paying benifits. So you have to work with the people given to you.

Again, people just need to pay attention. Also, one good point made by one of our drivers. When you hire all part time dockworkers they seem not to care as much as a full time employee. They might have another job, still live with mom whatever. On the other hand with full timers usually that is their only job, only source of income and most will pay more attention and generally care more. Sad part is company won't do it due to paying benifits. So you have to work with the people given to you.
Very well said!!!!!!!!!!