Estes | Need help about cut times; HUB driver

rob0126

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm running into an issue with my cut time from the terminal. I run from Paducah Term. to Nashville Term. and back every night.
I just found out my arrival time for nashville is suppose to be 11pm. I thought it was 11:30 (8pm dock cut, 30min to hook, placard, etc, 3hrs to drive 166 miles=11:30)
But apparently that isn't the case.

I don't usually receive my bills til about 7:45-8pm. Sometimes a little after 8pm, sometimes around 7:30.

It takes me at least 15 min to hook both my trailers, then about 10-15min to set placards(almost always pulling hazmat-sometimes 2 or 3 types), pplnet, pprwork, quick final run around truck.
Note: I come in around 7pm to get my assigned truck, hook to my dolly, and pretrip both. Then guess at which is my 2 trlrs and pretrip them.

My TM says I should be able to make the arrival time if I work with the supervisor, if I receive my bills by 8pm. I don't think so, because I don't know my heavy until the bills are in my hand.

To add to the problem, the truck I drive is an int'l automatic, and if the load is heavy, I lose from 15-20 min on my drive down because it cant pull the hills(again, when pulling heavy-over 20k combined on trailers)

I have no issues coming in early like I do to get my pretrips out of the way(Sometimes it takes more time to add oil, coolant, etc on trucks that haven't gotten a post trip). I prefer safety over speed.

What is my resolve, if I can't get the arrival time pushed to 11:30, or receive my bills by 7:30?

I don't want to get wrote up for something I cant do anything about.

You need to have your hooks by 730. You need to be pulling out of the gate at 8. If they can't get your trailers done by then, it's on them. This is a pretty common situation. I wouldn't worry about it. You can only do so much.

That's just it, 8 times out of 10, I don't get my pprwrk til 7:45-8pm, and at times past 8. Sometimes I get my pprwrk at 7:30, but it's few and far between.
I can't get my heavy trlr info til then, apparently. I pretrip trlrs that I think are mine(sometimes they are not in the same door as usual)

Yet, I hear of possibly writing me up because I cant make 11pm in nash.

Whats my resolve?

U need to talk to your outbound supervisor and explain to him that 8:00 is your gate time not your cut time. I'm basing that on the fact that they have you due into Nashville at 2300. So he needs to understand that you can't make it there unless you leave at 8. As far as getting wrote up for it.....tell them they are getting you out late and it's not your fault and be done with it.

Make sure they're putting the correct departure time in when they dispatch you. Some outbound dispatchers will try to cover their butt by putting you out right when they dispatch you. You need to tell him to show you out 30 minutes after you get your bills.

Make sure they're putting the correct departure time in when they dispatch you. Some outbound dispatchers will try to cover their butt by putting you out right when they dispatch you. You need to tell him to show you out 30 minutes after you get your bills.

Then the supervisor gets his butt chewed, which one do you think going to fall first? LOL.. Right, he'll stand behind the driver, standing wayyyyyyyyy back...

I never dispute my time in or out. They need to cover their ass and as long as my ass don't get chewed I could care less what time they arrive me and depart me.

I never dispute my time in or out. They need to cover their ass and as long as my ass don't get chewed I could care less what time they arrive me and depart me.

As long as I don't get wrote up, as was insinuated, then I don't care either.

But I think the dock supers do in nash. I guess they figure I need more time to unload my trailers since I'm new.
I'm not 100% yet, but I'm getting there.(Figuring out the freight that needs to come off early seems to be the thing.)

I had some whopper pairs tonight.

I wouldn't raise hell about it. You can ask the dispatcher what time he's showing you out and politely ask him to give you some more time and explain what's going on. Or just keep a log of what time you get your bills. The peoplenet can work for you just like it can work against you...

As long as I don't get wrote up, as was insinuated, then I don't care either.

But I think the dock supers do in nash. I guess they figure I need more time to unload my trailers since I'm new.
I'm not 100% yet, but I'm getting there.(Figuring out the freight that needs to come off early seems to be the thing.)

I had some whopper pairs tonight.

If that's the case, have the people in Nashville call your terminal and have them rear load your hot shipments. then the monkey's off your back.. But explain to NAS that it's not you that causing the delays..

If that's the case, have the people in Nashville call your terminal and have them rear load your hot shipments. then the monkey's off your back.. But explain to NAS that it's not you that causing the delays..

I've been getting my bills on time this last couple days.

NAS dispatch knows now that I'm not dragging my feet.

I saw a memphis run posted. Maybe I should take that one instead? Later cut time, and trlrs usually done a few hrs before then.
From what I understand, no docktime in memphis, just drop and hook, then some dock at my term when I get back.

I've been getting my bills on time this last couple days.

NAS dispatch knows now that I'm not dragging my feet.

I saw a memphis run posted. Maybe I should take that one instead? Later cut time, and trlrs usually done a few hrs before then.
From what I understand, no docktime in memphis, just drop and hook, then some dock at my term when I get back.

In the "old days" you had to be on a run for 90 days before you could bid on another run,, But, everything here in recent times, have been written in pencil.. So check with your TM and see if you are eligible to bid on it.. Good luck.
You're good then if NAS knows the story.. Probably been through this before with your terminal...

It's a 60 day rule now. Either way, bid on anything you want. If no other driver in your class wants it, you will get it before they give it to a driver outside of your class even if it's been less than 60 days.

Keep track of your times. Your Peoplenet will show your actual tractor crank time, depart time and drive time. If you aren't goofing off your fine.
If they ask you, just be able to CYA

Back when I started Hub Drivin I would load my own load, that way it was loaded right and un damaged, then they started getting Part time dock workers and kicked the Driver off the dock, ya know we cost more money, thats when it all went downhill for me. Just a long line of dumb things done by Big E.

Most of what is written is accurate and correct. You can also invite your manager to do a ride along for 2 or 3 days to see.....

Back when I started Hub Drivin I would load my own load, that way it was loaded right and un damaged, then they started getting Part time dock workers and kicked the Driver off the dock, ya know we cost more money, thats when it all went downhill for me. Just a long line of dumb things done by Big E.

And they haven't stopped yet, from what I hear..