FedEx Freight | Need help choosing a terminal in Memphis area.

OutboundHustle

TB Lurker
Credits
I’m in the process of applying to FXF, trying to figure out which terminal would be best. There are 3 in the area,
FXF-Winchester rd (fairly good size, and easy to get too, very close to rough neighborhoods)
FXF-Carrier st (seems to be the smallest of the 3, decent location in quiet area)
FXF-west memphis, AR (looks like it’s the largest of the 3, longer drive for me & located in an industrial park)

I’ve been doing research on all the LTL and I’ve kinda narrowed it down to a few that have the ability of being off on weekends every now and again.
Not worried about dock work or being bottom man on the board. I just wanna be home more.

I would assume one of these or all of them run shuttles to another terminal and works the docks.
Can anyone provide some info on the “low man” work involved at either?
What a realistic schedule as the low guy? Midnight to 9-10am? Or 7pm-5am?

Any idea of the board size @ either terminal?

How the insurance?
Is the 401K plan any good?
Do they have company stock options you can invest in?

Thanks?

I’m in the process of applying to FXF, trying to figure out which terminal would be best. There are 3 in the area,
FXF-Winchester rd (fairly good size, and easy to get too, very close to rough neighborhoods)
FXF-Carrier st (seems to be the smallest of the 3, decent location in quiet area)
FXF-west memphis, AR (looks like it’s the largest of the 3, longer drive for me & located in an industrial park)

I’ve been doing research on all the LTL and I’ve kinda narrowed it down to a few that have the ability of being off on weekends every now and again.
Not worried about dock work or being bottom man on the board. I just wanna be home more.

I would assume one of these or all of them run shuttles to another terminal and works the docks.

How the insurance?

Thanks?
Insurance is just average, could be a lot better. 401k is very good as the company puts in $8.00 for every $6.00 that you contribute as matching funds. You can buy FedEx stock with no broker fees. Can’t help as to the terminal choices, someone else will probably chime in on that for you.

Don't limit yourself to FxF.
It's not 2007 anymore and literally EVERY LtL offers better pay and benefits. Hell, AAA Cooper pays better mileage, and Averit pays better hourly.
FxF has absolutely nothing to offer a driver over any other company.

Personally, I'd look at ODFL, or ABF, especially for teamcare insurance.
I trying not to limit myself, I’ve done so much research at this point I’m literally boiling with information, but being home daily is a huge thing for me right now.
18 years in this industry and every day/week month has been away from the house.

ABF is also high on my list. I was a teamster car hauler and it was a gravy train being in teamcare until the layoffs (Covid hit).

OD is also there. I know one of the top men on the board there and he says I will definitely work weekends but home everyday and it usually a 6 day work week. I have apps in with all of them and just going to take the interview and see what happens.
Stability and the ability to be home and off weekends with great benefits and I will work the rest out. I’m just looking to put in a good work ethic and get back good benefits & home time right now.
Thanks for the info.

OutboundHustle we are glad to have you here . I don't know the barns you speak of but The TB guys you will meet here are the best overall and very experienced hands from all the LTL companies my friend . Sure we jerk around just to keep it all fun and we have some jerks IE (SMOKESTACK) here but we all like free hot dogs with nice buns . Sooo if you like them FDXF is the place for you otherwise there are plenty of places for a driver to start at , work smart , be safe , be honest take care of your body , mind and family .

Good luck , ask questions The Crew here will help ya,
God Bless / SMOKESTACK - TB ADMIN

If you're looking to go the road driver route, head to the west Memphis barn since it's a hub. You'll probably have to start on the dock and work your way into the city and then road if you don't have a CDL with experience. If you've already got a license and experience try to get into the city and wait your turn to get to the road.

We had a CMH city driver transfer down to West Memphis. No wife or kids so he opted for a 3pm bid. Did a couple shuttle runs and a couple late evening switches. Last time I talked to him he was loving it.

Don't limit yourself to FxF.
It's not 2007 anymore and literally EVERY LtL offers better pay and benefits. Hell, AAA Cooper pays better mileage, and Averit pays better hourly.
FxF has absolutely nothing to offer a driver over any other company.

Personally, I'd look at ODFL, or ABF, especially for teamcare insurance.

OD does not get compensated more than we do. Delay pay only after waiting 2 hours at 10/hr (same for breakdowns), no option to work the dock if there's no work, OT after 50 (while capping your hours) and low task pay. I've even gotten delay pay for sitting in traffic. Ask an OD driver how often that happens for them. Our 401k plan is better, 2 weeks vacation your first year and it's paid at your average annual rate. Their health coverage is better than ours and thats about it, but if health coverage is your main concern go to ABF.

Got to remember that if the ABF you applied for is a hub you will most likely be on call 24/7 working 6 days a week. If ABF ran like FXF I’d be gone. On call is no lifestyle wort
Extraboard at FXF, isn’t oncall? Does every driver have an assignment once hired? How does that work.
WME is my only option right now and they only have a city driver position open that’s works for me too as I don’t mind putting in my time. I just want to know what I’m walking into as a company.

Once I get the interviews going at each terminal I will be able to decide once I have more information on how operations work.
Your absolutely right at this point in my life, being oncall all the time isn’t appealing at all.

By be it’s a call block for the XB. 5 am-9 am or 5 pm - 9pm. M-f. You know by your seniority if your gonna be on days or not. They typically call everyone out within 2 hours of the call block. May be different at other locations. You’ll find out in your interview.

Depends on the terminal. Our place the city does mostly P&D. But the city extra board helps the road cover runs to the rail yard and road runs if they are short handed. My buddy that transferred to West Memphis was doing shuttles and P&D doing night switches to a couple customers. Haven't talked to him in a while to see if he's still doing it or not.

Can confirm WME road dispatch is a good crew. I'm through there semi-regularly, they're super busy and usually don't keep me waiting long.

Re: insurance, it's all about perspective. My wife used to carry insurance on our family (two kids) and paid $115 a week for far worse coverage on a far smaller income than I make at FXF. Now my family coverage is under $100 a week and I haven't paid out anything this year from my own pocket because of the HRA account we get here. FXF put I think $1,200 in it, eligible to use on doctor visits, OTC meds, etc. We've had covid in our house this year, cost us nothing to get seen by the doc. I even got paid for the time I was off when I got exposed to covid because the rest of my house had it.

How the insurance?

Thanks?
It’s WME a city driver usually does trips to the rail yard and fills in as a road driver in my experience. There is no p&d out of WME it’s all done out of Forest City. If you want to be a road driver definitely pick WME because anywhere else around Memphis you will work at night for the rest of your life!

MEM Road drivers working dock and a 38 mile round trip shuttle. You’re basically a dock worker for the first few years. Same goes for NEM road drivers. City drivers usually start off coming around 2 or 3pm and work till….. Mostly swaps in the evening time

It’s WME a city driver usually does trips to the rail yard and fills in as a road driver in my experience. There is no p&d out of WME it’s all done out of Forest City. If you want to be a road driver definitely pick WME because anywhere else around Memphis you will work at night for the rest of your life!

MEM Road drivers working dock and a 38 mile round trip shuttle. You’re basically a dock worker for the first few years. Same goes for NEM road drivers. City drivers usually start off coming around 2 or 3pm and work till….. Mostly swaps in the evening time how m
How much can a driver make working at MEM or NEM at night doing shuttles and rail work or switches? I have no problem working the yard or docks. If this will allow me to be home daily and off weekends I think I’m all for it right now. So long as the money adds up.

How much can a driver make working at MEM or NEM at night doing shuttles and rail work or switches? I have no problem working the yard or docks. If this will allow me to be home daily and off weekends I think I’m all for it right now. So long as the money adds up.
I’m my experience with FEDEX they will work you as much as you want to work! I’d say first year starting out you’ll make around 60k. It could be more, guys that started with me in the city were making 75k and that was almost a decade ago. I like to go home sometimes and don’t like working 14 hours a day every day especially at night Depends on how the economy goes in the near future, but if you let them know you wanna work they will keep you busy