TForce | New Business!?

Browne1

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey guys, rumor is that UPS is going to give us alot more freight starting the first of the year. Of course we all know how rumors go, but this one makes since with all the cut times gauranteed starting 1/8/07. We'll see, maybe good times are starting....maybe....

Browne1 said:
Hey guys, rumor is that UPS is going to give us alot more freight starting the first of the year. Of course we all know how rumors go, but this one makes since with all the cut times gauranteed starting 1/8/07. We'll see, maybe good times are starting....maybe....
And how is UPS going to give us freight? I was under the impression that freight comes from customers that would like to use our services.

Trojan Man said:
And how is UPS going to give us freight? I was under the impression that freight comes from customers that would like to use our services.
It was my understanding that there is freight they currently use other LTL's to ship....from either supply chain solutions or Cartage.
It was said that they have a contract with yellow...then I heard the contract was with O.D....
There are so many rumors floating around that the wait and see policy is still the best policy...LOL

I did see a UPS Cartage Truck and trailer in HRS a week or so ago...which I never noticed before.

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
It was my understanding that there is freight they currently use other LTL's to ship....from either supply chain solutions or Cartage.
It was said that they have a contract with yellow...then I heard the contract was with O.D....
There are so many rumors floating around that the wait and see policy is still the best policy...LOL

I did see a UPS Cartage Truck and trailer in HRS a week or so ago...which I never noticed before.

First of all this has been harshed around and explained before.
UPS Cartage and Supply Chain Solutions (SCS) don't "currently use other LTL carriers".

They sell there services to customers.

Cartage and SCS don't gather up freight from customers and then give it to LTL's to deliver.
Cartage and SCS contract with customer and sell a service that includes services from LTLs of the customers choice.
If Cartage and SCS had only one carrier (UPSF) to offfer services from or through nthen they wouldn't have a varied and extensive line of services to sell.

You will never see one sided sales pitch from SCS or Cartage to sell freight for only UPSF.

SCS and Cartage are not a cross dock operation set up to feed USPF freight. That would be a waste of overhead and resourses.

As far as contracts with other carriers go, contracts usally cover rates not volume.

T251

Teamster251 said:
First of all this has been harshed around and explained before.
UPS Cartage and Supply Chain Solutions (SCS) don't "currently use other LTL carriers".

They sell there services to customers.

Cartage and SCS don't gather up freight from customers and then give it to LTL's to deliver.
Cartage and SCS contract with customer and sell a service that includes services from LTLs of the customers choice.
If Cartage and SCS had only one carrier (UPSF) to offfer services from or through nthen they wouldn't have a varied and extensive line of services to sell.

You will never see one sided sales pitch from SCS or Cartage to sell freight for only UPSF.

SCS and Cartage are not a cross dock operation set up to feed USPF freight. That would be a waste of overhead and resourses.

As far as contracts with other carriers go, contracts usally cover rates not volume.

T251
T251,

T251,
Well said.

Well we are starting to see freight from scs and ups cartage they have told us this is going to happen and it already is. If you are a road driver and you have a load with a yellow seal it's a scs load.

To go along with T251 and hopefully make this subject perfectly clear is SCS is a 3PL, (third party logistics co.) which means they oversee freight traffic for any company that wants to hire them. For instance, Gillette Corp. They run the whse operation, negotiate on behalf of Gillette reasonable carrier rates, monitor and audit freight bills, etc. So the only way we would see any freight from any company that is currently using SCS is if the contracts with exsisting carriers were up and we were competitive on price. We too will not haul the freight for nothing. Another problem is some companies still see us as "O"/"MC", and don't want anything to do with us. They have the ultimate say over SCS. Time will tell, but to start UPSF has to continue to work towards getting there act together and concentrate on keeping what we have and getting back the customers we lost.

To go along with T251 and hopefully make this subject perfectly clear is SCS is a 3PL, (third party logistics co.) which means they oversee freight traffic for any company that wants to hire them. For instance, Gillette Corp. They run the whse operation, negotiate on behalf of Gillette reasonable carrier rates, monitor and audit freight bills, etc. So the only way we would see any freight from any company that is currently using SCS is if the contracts with exsisting carriers were up and we were competitive on price. We too will not haul the freight for nothing. Another problem is some companies still see us as "O"/"MC", and don't want anything to do with us. They have the ultimate say over SCS. Time will tell, but to start UPSF has to continue to work towards getting there act together and concentrate on keeping what we have and getting back the customers we lost.

Hug, You just said it all in the last sentence. That is the only way we or any company can stay in business. We have to give the service and do what we tell the customer that we will do. Thanks!!!!!

And even that dreaded other delivery company FedEx gets UPS business - Yellow Exact Express and UPSSCS and UPS Expedite all call on Custom Critical to move loads that they have sold to customers.

Rob

I make one pickup of anywhere from 2 to 8 skids once,or twice a week from one of our areas UPS Supply Chain warehouses.
We have two in our delivery area.
I know we could get maybe 2,or 3 trailer loads of freight moves from each one of these warehouses everyday.
I wounder why we only do one move,and they use other companies to make the rest,when we are all UPS companys?
Sales say they don't have the answer either.

You think that UPS Freight rates are to high for us to get more buisness from these two warehouses?

If so it seems wierd being we are all owned,and operated by the same company?

As much as I've learned about the LTL trucking industry all of my 43 years of driving.
I'll never figure out how every company sets up their rates?
Also how can a union trucking company make money on freight moves,when non-union companies like us say they can't haul it that cheap.
I guess theres just somethings we'll never know about this trucking game?