New Century

cityman

TB Lurker
Credits
With the demise of Jevic,we should start a forum for their arch rival New Century. I would bet alot of former Jevic drivers will end up there.

New Century was started by the previous owner of JEVIC. Harry actually attempted to buy back Jevic a year ago or so.

When he began New Century I understand Harry actually personally recruited some of his former workers from Jevic as well as Office workers.

I believe he will accept the former Jevic drivers with open arms knowing the work ethic of those drivers to be in line with New Century's operating model.

New Century forum

Thanks. I've been reading these forums for sometime now. There has been a lot of bashing of New Century and its drivers. I think there should be forum to express our views.

Can you tell us what New Century is like? Is it a carbon copy of Jevic? Give us some stats like number of trucks, types of freight, running area, pay. I've just heard their ads on XM so i can't say i've heard anything bad.

New Century info

New Century is a company very similar to what Jevic was. We even have a lot of ex Jevic employees (drivers, office and mechanics) and will probably be getting more with them closing. I have some friends over there and really feel bad about what has happen to 99% of them. However there are some that remain bitter that the founder of Jevic sold the company and started New Century, but that's for another time. N.C. basically is a LTL operation working 48 states. Somewhere around 1000 trucks. The pay is pretty good for the trucking industry. You can visit their web page for the pay scale at New Century Transportation - Offers LTL and Truckload freight shipping services.. I have been here a long time and really do love my job. We do have our share that are never happy, but you have that everywhere. Hell, I'm not happy all of the time. As you know times are tough right now in this business but we are holding our own. We have a great owner who was a truck driver. He knows what we go through out there.

We are based out of Westampton, NJ. Other facilities in Dener (Western Frieghtways), Rhode Island, Carlisle,PA, Duncan, SC

darn - wish I could buy experience! looks like a reasonable pay scale.

How do they calculate miles?

And, for hourly, is it based on 8 hours or logged drive / duty time?

Miles are based on PC miler. Hr. rate is punch to punch. Most drivers make over $70,000. Some a lot better

New Century was started by the previous owner of JEVIC. Harry actually attempted to buy back Jevic a year ago or so.

When he began New Century I understand Harry actually personally recruited some of his former workers from Jevic as well as Office workers.

I believe he will accept the former Jevic drivers with open arms knowing the work ethic of those drivers to be in line with New Century's operating model.

As I heard the story?
new Century was started as a vendetta against Jevic . When it was sold, Harry and his family were to remain employed by Jevic.
As I understand it Harry and his family were systematically driven out by the powers that be. Harry could not just run out and start another company because of No Compete clause in his sales contract, for a certain period of time. He started New Century and prepared for the day his contractual obligations expired and acquired some disenchanted Jevic drivers along the way.
I have heard various versions of the story, from different drivers, but this was prettty much the meat and potatoes of it.

Wrong Facts

You have a few facts wrong. Harry was not run off by Yellow. He left on his own and there was not a no compete clause in the sale. That is all public record. Analyst have said that was a mistake by Yellow. It has been written aboutall over the web. As far as disenchanted drivers. I am a driver who left Jevic and went to work for him. I was not disenchanted at all, as is the case for most of the guys in the beginning. I still have friends from there. I loved my time at Jevic. I just knew I would rather take my chances with the new company then with Yellow. (Everyone knows what happened with Preston). It was a great opportunity for us all. No regrets.

You have a few facts wrong. Harry was not run off by Yellow. He left on his own and there was not a no compete clause in the sale. That is all public record. Analyst have said that was a mistake by Yellow. It has been written aboutall over the web. As far as disenchanted drivers. I am a driver who left Jevic and went to work for him. I was not disenchanted at all, as is the case for most of the guys in the beginning. I still have friends from there. I loved my time at Jevic. I just knew I would rather take my chances with the new company then with Yellow. (Everyone knows what happened with Preston). It was a great opportunity for us all. No regrets.

I never claimed they were facts, Just what I had heard from different drivers that would come by.

I am not a good one to ask about home time since I work local. It would depend if you are regional or road.