TForce | New competitor in the LTL world

all they are trying to do is fill empty space. They aren't going to have their own trucks doing this. All the mail is contracted. I've only seen a US Postal service truck with 18 wheels on a rare occasion. There aren't that many.

According to the link, it says CF was moving non-mail shipments. What exactly are non-mail shipments? I'm guessing, cleaning supplies, equipment, parts, etc. I know we haul parts, plastic bins, and furniture for the USPS, well we deliver it to the local USPS BMC (Bulk Mail Center) here in my terminal's service area. As well, we move quite a bit of mail (newspaper ads, books, flyers, etc), alot of it coming out of BUF, KAN, and LAS. It can be a pain at the BMC, sometimes long waits to get unloaded, especially with other LTL and OTR companies there.

A problem I see with this LTL freight moving on USPS contractor trucks, is the fact that the customer or a 3rd party provider will have to drop/pick up the freight from the BMCs. Their will be a security issue, I wonder if they will prohibit hazmat shipments from moving on these trucks? Whether or not this program works, USPS is always trying to run more efficiently, at one time they were using boxcars on Amtrak trains to move mail quicker, that was scrapped...

If I remember UPS sued I think canada or maybe it was the united states over unfair trade practices by not allowing ups drop boxes in the post offices, I don't remember exactly.

Here it is UPS sues Canada Maybe they will do the same thing here.

Red Star used to move some of the bulk mail. Could it be a mistake on the wording the writer used? Much mail is contracted out. Just like our LTL OTR freight.

I read the CF link and it said that it would be a $9M a year contract. Hardly worth talking about and it clearly wasn't enough to save CF. As for the current story, it's not surprising that they don't make an attempt at it somewhere along the line. Freight is freight and it doesn't matter if you're running packages, skids or envelopes, it's the same thing. UPS moves all of it, as does Fed Ex. I read somewhere that the mail volumes have dropped considerably over the years. In this electronic age, that's a trend that will likely continue. They need more work as does everyone else and will look to do whatever they can to stay competitive.

What gets me is how they think they can pull this off without any equipment or facilities. Unless they invest in the infrastructure they'll never make a splash in the LTL market. Hey maybe they can use some of that TARP money to gain a controlling interest in YRC and rebrand them USPS Freight. Then they'd have something... It might not be a bad move either considering the government is going to have to step in one day when that Central States Pension Fund goes under. There's a bailout waiting to happen. At least they'd be a head of the game on that one.

If I remember UPS sued I think canada or maybe it was the united states over unfair trade practices by not allowing ups drop boxes in the post offices, I don't remember exactly.

Here it is UPS sues Canada Maybe they will do the same thing here.

It may have been the drop boxes there, but here the post office will not sign for UPS packages delivered to p.o. boxes. There may have been some of that there as well. I've been on some of the BMC docks and the guys there get a kick out of abusing anything that is shipped in a FedEx or UPS box. If you want your package damaged by the post office the surest way is to package it in a competitors box. They also mused over how long it had been sitting there. The post office says their reason for not accepting those packages is because of liability. Well I know why. That and the competitive advantage to those who want to use a post office box.

My prediction is, The test will be a failure.

I agree, there are services we offer the USPS will not do. Let alone the fact they will be clumsy at best, they have no docks suitable to move freight, nor forklifts, nor the manpower, and if it comes between the mail and freight, the mail will move first. Now mail trailers will be going to customers to pickup.

I think it is a lost cause.

If I read it right, it stated that freight would be delivered only to there sort centers. Its up to a customer to figure out how to get it from there to their businesses. Thats a swell system. Typical govn't operated waste of time and tax payer money.

If I read it right, it stated that freight would be delivered only to there sort centers. Its up to a customer to figure out how to get it from there to their businesses. Thats a swell system. Typical govn't operated waste of time and tax payer money.

I'll bet it's cheap service.