XPO | New Dimensioners Devices Not Ready

icuicp

TB Veteran
Credits
As much as I would like for the new tech to work , and as hard as I've tried...( with an open mind )...It's painfully obvious that the software is NOT ready and the hardware has MAJOR flaws. A large chunk of capital and resources has been dedicated to seeing these devices be successful.

One thing that seems to have been skipped is feedback an input from the people that will use them in everyday situations: DRIVERS

Trying to use the dimensioner camera ( unsuccessfully , over and over , again and again...) is the first time I can remember being laughed at by multiple customers.

The training is NOT about using the device as much as it is to convince you that it works and any problems with it are your fault.

I hope they acknowledge the flaws and fix things quickly. To do that upper management has to admit there are BIG problems first.

When the dimension cameras were introduced at my SIC, we were told that drivers using tape measures, were getting the dimensions right 65% of the time. The cameras are the company's attempt to relieve the driver of the responsibility of using a tape measure. Since about 2010, the company has been putting more responsibility on city drivers processing freight at the point of pickup with no additional monetary incentive and no relaxation of stops/hour goals. What I'm waiting for is when they come down and say something like if a driver can't get the dimcam to work, then they have to break out the tape measure. My personal belief, I think measuring freight by any means is a waste of company time and they should smart enough to figure out trailer count each night without knowing freight volume. Hell, the company did it like that for years before, did it not?

To be honest, I've never measured a single piece of freight. I make a best guess.

We haven't had these things rolled out in the northeast yet, where are they currently?

To be honest, I've never measured a single piece of freight. I make a best guess.

We haven't had these things rolled out in the northeast yet, where are they currently?
Same here. When the whole dimcheck thing first started, I used to measure the freight, but after awhile with the company going back over and checking my work and getting written up because my dimensions didn't match those of a certified accuracy checker on the dock, I stopped measuring and started guessing. Now the claim I heard is that the reason for the dimcams is because only 65% of the freight was accurately being measured by drivers. Funny thing is, the dimcam doesn't get it right either, especially when it comes to length and width, but at this point, I just take the picture and they get what they get. If I can't the thing to work because is streaming issues, they get a guess. Honestly, like I said in another post, with all of the other tech, like the sloptimizer, or whatever the hell it is, they should be able to figure trailer space required on the outbound without knowing volume.

I don't think it's a big deal and I think some of you guys are being a bit dramatic.

BUT I also think a tape measure works just fine. If they need better data, coach people on how to use and/or write up if they are guessing and getting it wrong too often.

I gave it a shot on Friday but I was trying to move quickly and it was too finicky. Lighting, angles, loose shrink wrap, etc. causes trouble. Tape measure fits in the pocket and never runs out of battery.

Last edited:
Once upon time not too long ago we got by without all of this. I laugh every time the network crashes and all the mgmt staff is fuming because we have to go back to using our proverbial stone tablets and chisels.
This mgmt doesn't know how to use the stone tablets. To them there lives would end if the all mighty PC gods stop working

Last edited:
At tforce they started with ceiling mounted laser dimension machines for dock workers at the major break bulks first. Added two hours to road drivers departure times. But the amount of money they could bill back to the customer warranted it to remain in place. Then 2 years later they started to add the ceiling dim machines to the smaller P&D terminals….

we got these at holland at our dock 2 yrs ago before i could break a normal trailer in about 45 minutes after this fiasco it took about 2 hrs to break a trailer had to haul a skid half way down the 108 door terminal to set it under the dim and wait for 4 others guys to dim their skid at the same time what a fiasco freight slowed way down but the clowns running the show said this is the future

we got these at holland at our dock 2 yrs ago before i could break a normal trailer in about 45 minutes after this fiasco it took about 2 hrs to break a trailer had to haul a skid half way down the 108 door terminal to set it under the dim and wait for 4 others guys to dim their skid at the same time what a fiasco freight slowed way down but the clowns running the show said this is the future
If I’m getting paid by the hour I’ll do whatever, but if you expect to discipline me for my productivity going down due to adding more into the process, well… wait, that’s Con-way/XPO in a nutshell. They expect every aspect of the operation to run without delays or holdups, then get butthurt when the real world gets in their way.

When the dimension cameras were introduced at my SIC, we were told that drivers using tape measures, were getting the dimensions right 65% of the time. The cameras are the company's attempt to relieve the driver of the responsibility of using a tape measure. Since about 2010, the company has been putting more responsibility on city drivers processing freight at the point of pickup with no additional monetary incentive and no relaxation of stops/hour goals. What I'm waiting for is when they come down and say something like if a driver can't get the dimcam to work, then they have to break out the tape measure. My personal belief, I think measuring freight by any means is a waste of company time and they should smart enough to figure out trailer count each night without knowing freight volume. Hell, the company did it like that for years before, did it not?
You’re paid hourly, if it takes longer to measure freight you are compensated for your time.

If the company knew the trailer count without having the dims what was the average cube on the trailers? I’d imagine a lot lower than it is now, generating extra linehaul runs.

Xpo just reported an 89.6 Operating Ratio.. that’s a lot better than many of the previous quarters, so they must be doing something right with these changes.