ABF | new hire process questions

I retired 01-01-2016. last day worked was 07-15-2015. The previous 5 years I used my own DOD 460 Dash Cam. Took it in & out of the tractor every day. It saved me from a big headache with the boss. It was forward facing & 1080P resolution. When I retired there were 3 other drivers using a dash cam. When asked by the boss why I used one, I told him it was to protect me & the company from false allegations. They liked the answer & never brought it up again. If I was forced to use a driver facing unit, I would take a dock bid to finish out my time. von.

I retired 01-01-2016. last day worked was 07-15-2015. The previous 5 years I used my own DOD 460 Dash Cam. Took it in & out of the tractor every day. It saved me from a big headache with the boss. It was forward facing & 1080P resolution. When I retired there were 3 other drivers using a dash cam. When asked by the boss why I used one, I told him it was to protect me & the company from false allegations. They liked the answer & never brought it up again. If I was forced to use a driver facing unit, I would take a dock bid to finish out my time. von.

Don't know that I would go that far, at one time, they put signs on our trailers, "Hows my driving? call 800 -----
after that, most drivers carried a can of black spray paint, before we left the yard, we painted over the sign.
They started placing them high on the trailer, we just went to the shop, got a ladder or asked a mechanic to paint over the sign, never knew of anyone getting disciplined over this.
Signs didn't last long.
As for the cameras, I'm afraid they are going to be a requirement on all equipment before long. JMO

7C0JD8w.jpg

like this

I believe the technical term for that was your "Teamster Entertainment Center"..........

Some got pretty elaborate........

When I retired, I removed the CB radio out of my box, and gave it to the first driver who asked me what I was going to do with my "Entertainment Center".......

My stereo speakers were big enough that I had to have a fold-up two-wheeler attached to my box..........

To the Great Disgust of my co-workers,...I listened to Classical Music only.......

Nothing better for driving through rush hour traffic,...than Wagner's "Ride of The Valkyrie" booming so loud that you shake the windows........

I believe the technical term for that was your "Teamster Entertainment Center"..........

When I retired, I removed the CB radio out of my box, and gave it to the first driver who asked me what I was going to do with my "Entertainment Center".......

My stereo speakers were big enough that I had to have a fold-up two-wheeler attached to my box..........

To the Great Disgust of my co-workers,...I listened to Classical Music only.......

Nothing better for driving through rush hour traffic,...than Wagner's "Ride of The Valkyrie" booming so loud that you shake the windows........

I respect diversity in tastes of music or just about anything. Not many people in the freight industry I know listen to classical. Most of us require simple lyrics to understand. I can comprehend most old rock songs.

quick question...I have siriusxm and listen to it alot. I do know there's alot of night driving in LTL(which is fine by me)...the best shows on radio come on at night! Does anyone have a radio and how do you go about using it at ABF, since it's all 'slip seat'? I was thinking maybe I should just get the app on my phone and switch service to that, if need be.
I use the App on my phone. Use ear buds. Some say thats not safe, I hear sirens, etc fine. Sleeper teams live with headphones on. No AM/FM radios in trucks so a radio box, etc would be required without app.

I use the App on my phone. Use ear buds. Some say thats not safe, I hear sirens, etc fine. Sleeper teams live with headphones on. No AM/FM radios in trucks so a radio box, etc would be required without app.
According to AAA, earbuds/headphones covering both ears ILLEGAL in following states
AL. CA CO. FL. GA. IL. LA. MD MA. MN. NY. OH. PA. VA WA

According to article in Digital Music News from September 2016. Couldn't find anything particular to commercial drivers but as we face tighter regulations all around there may be more regs you could run afoul of. Teams and some drivers might do it but the quality of the small speakers I referenced earlier would make me lean towards not using earbuds. Just my opinion though, that and 1.00 probably won't even get you a coffee anymore.

Think I'll let Wagner ride with you, I rode with the likes of Flatt & Scruggs, Roy Acuff, Hank Williams,
Vern Gosdin etc.
The base stations in Ga. looked forward to my rendition of The Wabash Cannonball and my harmonica solos.
From what I read, I wouldn't have lasted a trip with Saia.
Our safety man said I missed my calling, should have been on the stage, although he never said which one.

I would think the ‘1812 Overture’ might be a good enter/exit the yard composition.

I respect diversity in tastes of music or just about anything. Not many people in the freight industry I know listen to classical. Most of us require simple lyrics to understand. I can comprehend most old rock songs.
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor Bach,
Beethoven's 5th Symphony,
Johann Strauss II – The Blue Danube
Richard Wagner – The Valkyrie: Ride of the Valkyries.
G.F. Handel Organ Concertos Op.7

My grandmother for 15 years took me to the Indianapolis Symphony every season. She had season tickets for years. I hate opera, but enjoy some classical music. If I was raised on a farm in Texas, I probably would not know Handel from Bach. Different location, different culture, different music.. von.

My grandmother for 15 years took me to the Indianapolis Symphony every season. She had season tickets for years. I hate opera, but enjoy some classical music. If I was raised on a farm in Texas, I probably would not know Handel from Bach. Different location, different culture, different music.. von.

William Tell Overture- Clayton Moore-Jay Silverheels

You have to Handel your Bach carefully..........

...(...I deeply apologize for such an atrocious pun...)....

William Tell Overture- Clayton Moore-Jay Silverheels

They should play that at the dispatch window when they give you your run......

And then you could bound out of the office shouting: "Heigh-Ho, Silver!.....And Away!"

....It's kind of anti-climatic to come back in 20 minutes later and tell dispatch you got a flat.........

They should play that at the dispatch window when they give you your run......

And then you could bound out of the office shouting: "Heigh-Ho, Silver!.....And Away!"

....It's kind of anti-climatic to come back in 20 minutes later and tell dispatch you got a flat.........
Or tell them your horse won't git when you yell go. von.

She was trying to instill some culture & refinement in you. Most of us knuckle head boys could have used some of it. I considered opera to be sissy at the time. My mother wanted me to learn piano but I also thought that was for girls. I have regretted that for most of my life.

Well, that interview was pretty quick. Asked some questions(one's I've never been asked) about dealing with stress, am I familiar in working in a 'structured' place? Told him yes and no. My short stint in LTL was unstructured, since I was on extraboard....some days I leave, some days I sit. However it's kind of like that where I am now. Seems everything went fine. Was told if I didn't hear anything in about 3-4 weeks to re-apply within 2 months. Said he's going to be needing 2 drivers now, and 8 total by May. That is all fine and dandy, don't know where I sit at, at the moment, though. Told him I did apply over 2 years ago...and he said he was glad to hear that. But also said, all decisions are made by Fort Smith. He just keeps a 'bank of potential drivers' incase someone on the dock/etc wants to join extraboard.(I know how that works, that's pretty much the same as all LTL carriers, seniority,seniority,seniority). So, what happens now?

Well, that interview was pretty quick. Asked some questions(one's I've never been asked) about dealing with stress, am I familiar in working in a 'structured' place? Told him yes and no. My short stint in LTL was unstructured, since I was on extraboard....some days I leave, some days I sit. However it's kind of like that where I am now. Seems everything went fine. Was told if I didn't hear anything in about 3-4 weeks to re-apply within 2 months. Said he's going to be needing 2 drivers now, and 8 total by May. That is all fine and dandy, don't know where I sit at, at the moment, though. Told him I did apply over 2 years ago...and he said he was glad to hear that. But also said, all decisions are made by Fort Smith. He just keeps a 'bank of potential drivers' incase someone on the dock/etc wants to join extraboard.(I know how that works, that's pretty much the same as all LTL carriers, seniority,seniority,seniority). So, what happens now?
pretty much what he said. Terminal managers have a lot of influence in general in environment of a single terminal but also kowtow to corporate. Not many LTL's will put guys on before early spring. Don't be annoying to him but stay in touch say once a week or so. Again, just my opinion and the way I have done it and would do it again if I was looking to change from where I'm at.