FedEx Freight | New Lunch Policy

Purple Haze

TB Lurker
Credits
How does everyone like the new lunch policy? Does it seem to be working for the drivers or center better? At our center it seems the city drivers are all trying to get out before their 8th hr. Road doesn't really matter.

Basically changed it back to the way it was before the 6th hour rule.
could the change be because fedex closed and consolidated a lot of barns and now city drivers have longer peddle runs, so taking a lunch break between the 4&6 hour from clock in time and having to drive an hour & half before your first stop does not leave much time to make a couple of stops ( and that doesn’t factor in wait time if you are waiting in line to get unloaded) before having to take a lunch break. Then you are trying to get as many stops delivered as possible to be in a position to make pickups, then have that hour and half drive back to the barn.

could the change be because fedex closed and consolidated a lot of barns and now city drivers have longer peddle runs, so taking a lunch break between the 4&6 hour from clock in time and having to drive an hour & half before your first stop does not leave much time to make a couple of stops ( and that doesn’t factor in wait time if you are waiting in line to get unloaded) before having to take a lunch break. Then you are trying to get as many stops delivered as possible to be in a position to make pickups, then have that hour and half drive back to the barn.
Yes. It hasn’t stopped the forced hour lunches at our barn though on some routes.

Yes. It hasn’t stopped the forced hour lunches at our barn though on some routes.
What have we come to where drivers don't want to take a relaxing lunch break in the middle of their work day? Workers fought a long time ago for that ability and today some think that's a bad thing. I just don't get it. :duh:

What have we come to where drivers don't want to take a relaxing lunch break in the middle of their work day? Workers fought a long time ago for that ability and today some think that's a bad thing. I just don't get it. :duh:

I don't want to HAVE to take a break. If you want to, you should be able to, but I have never wanted to. I should not be punished for not taking a break. I'd rather get off work 30 minutes to an hour early than take a break in the middle of the day.

I run a ~210 mile shuttle run. I will easily put in 7-8 hours on the dock, or running drayage when it's available. I usually work 12 hours a day. I have never taken a lunch break. I can eat while I'm driving.

I don't want to HAVE to take a break. If you want to, you should be able to, but I have never wanted to. I should not be punished for not taking a break. I'd rather get off work 30 minutes to an hour early than take a break in the middle of the day.

I run a ~210 mile shuttle run. I will easily put in 7-8 hours on the dock, or running drayage when it's available. I usually work 12 hours a day. I have never taken a lunch break. I can eat while I'm driving.
Sorry you feel that way. IMHO your attitude is what's helping ruin working conditions today. :duh:

It is amazing, all the excuses, not to be told by the company to take a lunch, but if they had the authority to say, No lunch breaks allowed, keep working, or driving, or on the dock, you would see nothing but bitching about how unfair, or unsafe that policy would be.

Lunch should never be optional in a work day. What kind of world are you people advocating? It totally boggles my mind that someone would fight against taking time for a lunch break.
Thirty plus years I’ve never sat down for thirty minutes for a meal, etc. Ran a meet for a few years before the 8 hr driving change. Swap sets, nap or walk; out in 40 minutes. Just want to get done. Start screwing around wasting time then blow a tire. Now you’re in a hotel instead of home. I will say I completely disagree with mgmt dictating when, exactly, you take your mandatory break for their benefit. City guys sitting in the break room for half hour, unpaid, at the end of their run. Uh, not happening.

Thirty plus years I’ve never sat down for thirty minutes for a meal, etc. Ran a meet for a few years before the 8 hr driving change. Swap sets, nap or walk; out in 40 minutes. Just want to get done. Start screwing around wasting time then blow a tire. Now you’re in a hotel instead of home. I will say I completely disagree with mgmt dictating when, exactly, you take your mandatory break for their benefit. City guys sitting in the break room for half hour, unpaid, at the end of their run. Uh, not happening.
Ever since I first drove TT in 1966 when on the job I always found a place somewhere to take a "lunch" break for a bite and coffee. I didn't live differently just because I was a driver. I did the same things (eat, coffee, etc.) I would have done if I wasn't driving. I just don't get the mentality of those rabbits who just want to run through the day like robots. Different word today I guess.

At our center with the lack of any management to speak of the bottom of the city board are working with dispatch on getting off before their 8 hrs , not a problem wrong they are screwing the rest of board .They hit gate and are out in 5 to 9 minutes really fast and management don’t care must be helping their numbers.post trip that is

Lunch should never be optional in a work day. What kind of world are you people advocating? It totally boggles my mind that someone would fight against taking time for a lunch
How does everyone like the new lunch policy? Does it seem to be working for the drivers or center better? At our center it seems the city drivers are all trying to get out before their 8th hr. Road doesn't really matter.
So far only benefiting round mouth club at our center.