XPO | New Management Style

George

3rd rock from the sun
Credits
Can someone explain this new Slim Sigma 6(?) style of management to me? It's suppose to cut out the middle men in terminal to terminal communication, change dispatch times, cure cancer and right the economy. Does it replace Pride which we were told is now obsolete. Say it isn't so, Pride out to pasture too? Press on

Can someone explain this new Slim Sigma 6(?) style of management to me? It's suppose to cut out the middle men in terminal to terminal communication, change dispatch times, cure cancer and right the economy. Does it replace Pride which we were told is now obsolete. Say it isn't so, Pride out to pasture too? Press on

Lean 6 sigma..........management buzz word for a very simple problem solving philosophy. This has been around for a long time, but was packaged into this "buzz word" managementspeak term, by a very savvy marketing firm. I went thru similar training in the Navy, about 20yrs ago, but it was then called T.Q.L. (Total Quality Leadership).....same principles, different packaging (and buzz word).....

You spend a week learning the technique, what it boils down to is: Logical problem solving, using result based common sense solutions.......

(Yes, I know it's confusing, if it wasn't they wouldn't be able to charge so much for the training)....
:duh:

Lean 6 sigma..........management buzz word for a very simple problem solving philosophy. This has been around for a long time, but was packaged into this "buzz word" managementspeak term, by a very savvy marketing firm. I went thru similar training in the Navy, about 20yrs ago, but it was then called T.Q.L. (Total Quality Leadership).....same principles, different packaging (and buzz word).....

You spend a week learning the technique, what it boils down to is: Logical problem solving, using result based common sense solutions.......

(Yes, I know it's confusing, if it wasn't they wouldn't be able to charge so much for the training)....

I am beginning to see this everywhere...

This is what we are going to have problems with...

"what it boils down to is: Logical problem solving, using result based common sense solutions......."

Our SCM just returned from a meeting where the Lean 6 Sigma program was addressed. Seems to have some merit.

We'll see...

But the whole common sense thing is going to require some serious re-alignemt of our corporate mindset...

Rat :loser:

We'll see...

But the whole common sense thing is going to require some serious re-alignemt of our corporate mindset...

That's the point of the training, most people can't problem solve effectively after being in management for any length of time. The mindset that results from having to answer 10,000 emails every day, on a mind-numbing list of often stupid and insulting demands by uppers in the chain-of-command, is difficult to reset.

We'll see...

That's the point of the training, most people can't problem solve effectively after being in management for any length of time. The mindset that results from having to answer 10,000 emails every day, on a mind-numbing list of often stupid and insulting demands by uppers in the chain-of-command, is difficult to reset.

My point exactly...

Let the people you hired do the functions for which you hired them for in the first place...

Oversight...YES!!!...Micro-managing...NO!!!

I loved your post...just remember that an FOS is following orders, even if he agrees with you...
The other thing is, ever hear of lean six sigma, and A3 thinking...?? These are things that could be on the immediate horizon, a very interesting approach to problem solving and improving efficiencies...I love the TEAM and BOTTOM UP approach to improvements...all of our lives could become alot more interesting very soon..I am looking forward to learning more..

Lean Six Sigma and A3 Thinking are great if you are building something... anything. However I believe that in our business 80% of our process is still based on human performance. Much the same as team sports, shared obtainable goals and motivation are the key elements that need to be addressed within our ranks. Problem solving and improving efficiencies need to start with a change in management styles, starting at the top. We need coaches motivating their team members, not wardens guarding their inmates, cynically waiting for them to screw up.

Human nature is phenomenal. Everybody wants to succeed, everybody wants structure, everybody wants to obtain goals. Everybody wants to be a winner. Drivers have control of their ability and effort. Management has control of the driver's daily task (the amount of work to be accomplished in x amount of time). Allow your people to shoot from the hip, think on their feet, and do their best. Most seasoned drivers have offered commonsense answers for years. But the problem is that while the driver speaks with knowledge, all management hears are excuses.

Lean Six Sigma will not accomplish anything until the decision making process is shared by all employees of this company. Without a shared responsibility in the process you simply obtain the same outcome... requiring people to do something that makes no sense to them. Where's the COMMONSENSE in that?

I am beginning to see this everywhere...

This is what we are going to have problems with...

"what it boils down to is: Logical problem solving, using result based common sense solutions......."

Our SCM just returned from a meeting where the Lean 6 Sigma program was addressed. Seems to have some merit.

We'll see...

WHOA! STOP! HOLD YOUR HORSES! You can't use common sense and corporate in the same sentence.:duh:

WHOA! STOP! HOLD YOUR HORSES! You can't use common sense and corporate in the same sentence.:duh:

There seems to be no common sense around here anymore. I could go on and on about dispatchers, but I won't. We all know them. First thing first here. Management needs to get over the idea that we are trying to screw the company. Every idea we give them, they act as if we are out to get them. I believe well 99 percent wouldn't do that. Not because of the comapny, but because of our customers. I love the people II pick up for and deliever to. Not saying that I don't love CW, but without the customers, we are not squat. Just wish CGO would open their eyes and see that we are trying to help the company out. Not out to get them.

There seems to be no common sense around here anymore. I could go on and on about dispatchers, but I won't. We all know them. First thing first here. Management needs to get over the idea that we are trying to screw the company. Every idea we give them, they act as if we are out to get them. I believe well 99 percent wouldn't do that. Not because of the comapny, but because of our customers. I love the people II pick up for and deliever to. Not saying that I don't love CW, but without the customers, we are not squat. Just wish CGO would open their eyes and see that we are trying to help the company out. Not out to get them.

:hide: I am with you, doing the best I can do for the Company! At times, we all could do so much better, if left to our own ideas!
I guess we are nothing more than Stupid Friggin Truck Drivers! :smilie_132:

Most effective way to eliminate some "managers"?

Turn off email for a couple of days. Everyone who calls the help desk saying they can't function without email..... send 'em home to stay.

First up in the Lean Six Sigma process will be horizontal communication...teaching the fos teams to communicate with each other service center to service center to resolve issues between them without having to involve the whole world..
One step at a time...

[

:duh:[/QUOTE]
That goes against Con-Way core Mangment values don't it. Theres the right way and theres the Con-Way

That goes against Con-Way core Mangment values don't it. Theres the right way and theres the Con-Way

between terminals

First up in the Lean Six Sigma process will be horizontal communication...teaching the fos teams to communicate with each other service center to service center to resolve issues between them without having to involve the whole world..
One step at a time...
this will be very interesting, they cant communicate between inbound and outbound and between terminals???? there always trying to screw each other over. its like one terminal is one company and another terminal is another company and they are always screwing with each other,to make them acually think they are the same company and TRY to work with each other is going to be interesting.i can see alot of:duh:

One step at a time...

Horizontal communication between FOS's in the same building would be a great start. We as a company have progressed to the point where everyone in supervision has a "my shift, my numbers are more important than yours" attitude. This is drilled into them daily by their superiors. However, all those numbers are outcome based goals, few goals are aimed at individual performances or processes.

So what comes first the chicken or the egg? On page 15 of the January edition of Connections under the section "Every Employee Plays A Role" they state "With continuing economic challenges anticipated for 2009"s LTL marketplace, individual dedication will be vitally important in satisfying customers and reaching performance goals." So what comes first the customer or performance goals. I ask this because with the economic conditions and customers eliminating second shifts, we are challenged to deliver and pick-up their freight in a condensed window of opportunity. So do we hit our numbers with putting the minimum amount of drivers on the street based on tonnage, or do we lighten-up the guys a little anticipating getting them empty in the right place at the right time to satisfy the customer?

Horizontal communication between FOS's in the same building would be a great start. We as a company have progressed to the point where everyone in supervision has a "my shift, my numbers are more important than yours" attitude. This is drilled into them daily by their superiors. However, all those numbers are outcome based goals, few goals are aimed at individual performances or processes.

So what comes first the chicken or the egg? On page 15 of the January edition of Connections under the section "Every Employee Plays A Role" they state "With continuing economic challenges anticipated for 2009"s LTL marketplace, individual dedication will be vitally important in satisfying customers and reaching performance goals." So what comes first the customer or performance goals. I ask this because with the economic conditions and customers eliminating second shifts, we are challenged to deliver and pick-up their freight in a condensed window of opportunity. So do we hit our numbers with putting the minimum amount of drivers on the street based on tonnage, or do we lighten-up the guys a little anticipating getting them empty in the right place at the right time to satisfy the customer?

I will agree with the first part of your post, it is human nature to take care of number one...we have been preaching "our" at my place, instead of "my", for months now...(man I hate that thought process...my my my)...I always base that on seeing 12 hours out instead of just the part where you get to go home...they are working at it..Horizontal communications addresses the shift to shift communication as well...
I think the "workload" part of your post will vary by service center....those with large footprints are going to have a disadvantage to a heavy urban service center, where density is king...the urban service centers can fiddle around with their routes and do little damage because they have the ability to adjust quickly...

this will be very interesting, they cant communicate between inbound and outbound and between terminals???? there always trying to screw each other over. its like one terminal is one company and another terminal is another company and they are always screwing with each other,to make them acually think they are the same company and TRY to work with each other is going to be interesting.i can see alot of:duh:

Reminds me of how effective the bonus program was at Watkins Motor Lines when the family was still running the company.

The bonus was based strictly on operating ratio at the terminal and COMPANY levels. If your terminal achieved the terminal OR goal and the company did not there was no bonus.

Forced everyone to work together to reach bonus.

One step at a time...

Maybe it should start at the Driver level...most things don't have to go to the FOS level. I see a lot of problems that could be solved if one guy gave another guy some advise...in a non-confrontational way...

"do me a favor" goes a long way...