SAIA | New Raise

Maybe Saia will pivot more in that direction, but buying new trucks with 7 (!!!) cameras in the cab certainly isn't a good start.
Everyone will have these in just a few years. Insurance companies will mandate them. Just wait and see. SAIA is just ahead of the curb.

Can't and won't argue with your logic here. But, with all due respect, if you are a company who hasn't tripled your stock price in the last 4 years on the strength of the economy, then something in your business model is flawed. I would argue that the culture that exists at OD is a function of the overall OR for that company. I just don't see Saia taking any type of leadership role where they create and nurture a culture that OD has and will continue to sustain. As the number of Class A CDL holders continues to spiral on a downward trend, drivers will (more and more) be drawn to intangibles such as culture, respect, and fair treatment. Maybe Saia will pivot more in that direction, but buying new trucks with 7 (!!!) cameras in the cab certainly isn't a good start.

Those are not cameras in the cab. Those are screens from the rearview cameras outside of the truck. Saia is trying to replace the rearview mirrors with cameras to save fuel. I drive one of those and I keep the screens blacked out most of the time because the view from the screens are unsafe I think.

Those are not cameras in the cab. Those are screens from the rearview cameras outside of the truck. Saia is trying to replace the rearview mirrors with cameras to save fuel. I drive one of those and I keep the screens blacked out most of the time because the view from the screens are unsafe I think.
I talked to Monroe driver about month ago and he was driving one of the trucks with all the screens (2145xx) series. He said " They made he a Nervous Wreak for the first three days then he got adjusted to the screens," how can that be safe?

Can't and won't argue with your logic here. But, with all due respect, if you are a company who hasn't tripled your stock price in the last 4 years on the strength of the economy, then something in your business model is flawed. I would argue that the culture that exists at OD is a function of the overall OR for that company. I just don't see Saia taking any type of leadership role where they create and nurture a culture that OD has and will continue to sustain. As the number of Class A CDL holders continues to spiral on a downward trend, drivers will (more and more) be drawn to intangibles such as culture, respect, and fair treatment. Maybe Saia will pivot more in that direction, but buying new trucks with 7 (!!!) cameras in the cab certainly isn't a good start.
I will tell you I was fully ready to accept a job with SAIA until I heard about the new Samsara cameras... that’s a bridge too far for me.

I will never live this down. So I shall now officially own it. I hate red and have no respect for that color.
ixDnTip.gif
Keep the faith Train, maybe 4 eyes will be better than 2.

Isn’t Saia self insured? If so, that takes insurance company demands argument off table
You don’t know much about how self insurance works do you? Saia pays the first four million. That comes out of profits. Stockholder money. They have to be a responsible fiduciary of that money. It gives it more of a reason. If you do not want cameras go find you a mom and pops carrier paying 37 cents a mile in a ten year old truck. You want a lucrative job with a successful company, they either have it or it’s coming.

If you do not want cameras go find you a mom and pops carrier paying 37 cents a mile in a ten year old truck.
In all fairness Phil there are a few other LTL companies that pay good without the cameras. But you’re right, they will be everywhere in just a few years.

In all fairness Phil there are a few other LTL companies that pay good without the cameras. But you’re right, they will be everywhere in just a few years.
Government fleets are starting to get these by the droves. Green fleet, clean fleet, emissions mitigation, route optimization, and asset inventory. The cameras are really a fairly small portion of this. The API’s that you can get from the gateways can save a company like Saia millions of dollars a year before the safety aspect. Wait till they start receiving the in cab coaching from the cameras. Seatbelt warnings above 10mph, following to close, speeding alerts, and the ever popular distracted driving. I think I retired at the right time from there. It would be different if they used the tech properly. Maybe they will eventually.

Wait till they start receiving the in cab coaching from the cameras. Seatbelt warnings above 10mph, following to close, speeding alerts, and the ever popular distracted driving. I think I retired at the right time from there. It would be different if they used the tech properly. Maybe they will eventually.
Management will first run-off 25% of the drivers, only when they have to start giving out $ 10,000 sign-on bonus to hire drivers....then they will back off again. I think I've seen this movie.

Reactions: FBR
Management will first run-off 25% of the drivers, only when they have to start giving out $ 10,000 sign-on bonus to hire drivers....then they will back off again. I think I've seen this movie.
They have the right to be selective. They want the best of the best. That’s how you build a successful company and if that’s the price they are willing to pay then so be it. SAIA never goes knocking on the driver’s door. They go knocking on SAIA’s door. It’s their choice if they want to accept the terms. If not they don’t care. Many will and they know it. I’m not saying I agree with the way this company operates. I’m just stating the facts!

They have the right to be selective. They want the best of the best. That’s how you build a successful company and if that’s the price they are willing to pay then so be it. SAIA never goes knocking on the driver’s door. They go knocking on SAIA’s door. It’s their choice if they want to accept the terms. If not they don’t care. Many will and they know it. I’m not saying I agree with the way this company operates. I’m just stating the facts!

The problem is, there are going to be very few profitable (as in experienced drivers with 5+ years in with an LTL competitor) knocking on that door. Sure, there will be plenty of drivers from OTR companies that want to be local knocking on Saias door, but I sure as hell won’t. I have 14 years LTL experience, first year as a dock worker, then 6 months as a hostler, 12 years P&D, then for the last year I’ve been line haul. I almost jumped ship to saia when they were offering a $5000 sign on bonus in my area a couple of years ago, but after hearing about the nanny cams, I said thanks but no thanks.

There’s only three LTL carriers that never advertise for drivers on their back door UPS,fedex,and OD Go figure