SAIA | New System Driver

Jack Knife

TB Veteran
Credits
come monday i will be a system driver. is there any terminals that i should try to avoid laying down at? any advice?

I never had to stay in a bunkhouse, but you may want to carry stuff for communal living. The motels are all over the map when it comes to quality, One of worst was a Super 8 in Jackson, MI, and one of the best was a Super 8 in Green Bay, WI. It just depends on who owns them, and the last time they were remodeled.

Stop by CGO sometime and say hello.

I never had to stay in a bunkhouse, but you may want to carry stuff for communal living. The motels are all over the map when it comes to quality, One of worst was a Super 8 in Jackson, MI, and one of the best was a Super 8 in Green Bay, WI. It just depends on who owns them, and the last time they were remodeled.

Stop by CGO sometime and say hello.

Bunk houses will vary in quality as well. For example, (I run mostly in the DLS region) the HST is brand new and as a consequence the bunk house is top notch. Others are not quite as spiffy. Bunk Houses, fortunately are few and far between. Just remember that in a bunk house, outside of the room one sleeps in, there is no such thing as privacy and carry an extra pair of shorts and tee shirt so you won't have to get completely dressed if you need to arise during your sleep period for...ahem...personal matters.

I take a bag good for 6 days and pack a crock pot and soup,crackers and dry cereal. There are Wal Mart's everywhere, so it's a good place to shop and replenish supplies as needed. Try and pack a little extra cash as one never knows whether toll roads will be encountered. Learn how to get a Comcheck if needed, and don't be afraid to ask. Otherwise, the company can suck your wallet dry just floating their operating expenses. Try to minimize your personal expenses or the cash will disappear as quickly.

I put all meals and tolls that I did not have a pass for on one credit card, and sent the card co. money every week or two. ATM fees will burn a hole in your pocket real quick.

Brother Trucker;
Bunk houses will vary in quality as well. For example, (I run mostly in the DLS region) the HST is brand new and as a consequence the bunk house is top notch. Others are not quite as spiffy.

I had to laydown in the DLS/Salesroom bunkhouse last year. That was miserable. Local linehaul drivers told me to, if possible, move over to GRL and go to the hotel.

I agree about avoiding bunkhouses in general. The first time I stayed in the HST bunkhouse there was some kind of meeting on the other side of the wall of the room I was staying in. Chairs and tables were dragged and the sound was transmitted thru the concrete floor. Needless to say, sleep was elusive after that. The thing that irks me is when the local terminal needs the truck and one has no other options to get around.

Its mostly hotels. Just try and get a room from busy places like the pool. Sometimes there is no room. I ran from DLS all over and the only bunk I stayed at was Baton Rouge. The only hotel I hated was Lubbock.