R&L | New Truck speed / Turbos

I have to laugh at some of the post here.

1) the horsepower is NOT being turned down
2) The speed is reduced to 67-68 MPH, MPH! If you ran wide open for a whole ten hour shift you lose what 40 miles?
3) I watched some Mack's getting "turned down" and found out we are activating the "cruise bonus". In effect it INCREASES the horsepower until you hit the speed they set. When we buy the Mack's they turn them down from what the engine can make potentially. On the cruise bonus the engine can use ALL the potential HP.
I had a driver jump me the other day over this issue spouting all kinds of ignorance...
Don't like it? Go owner operator then you can set your own speed.
By the way the GOVERNEMENT is talking about requiring trucks be turned down further, R&L is just trying to head off such legislative restrictions

I will respond to each of your points
1) The Horse power may not be getting turned down but it damn well should be turned up , the only way i can pull a hill is by getting a 73 mph run at it.
2) Yes you may ONLY lose 40 miles a shift and that in turn means another 30 minutes to an hour on your day ,in effect cutting your pay . I don't know about you but working 2.5 to 5 more hours a week for the same money definatley leaves a bad taste in my Moulth.
3)The Cruise Bonus does not mean anything when you have many hills and Mtns to climb it may work just fine on the midwestern plains but not in the Northeast.

In closing I understand the need for R+L to do something before the FEDERAL GOV makes them , However they should do there homework a little better. I can live with a Truck that can only do 66 or 67 ,but give me some more lower end horsepower so i can pull a hill at more than 20 MPH and stop being a road hazard.

I drive volvos over at Yellow and I think they're junk. I mean old and new. Do you like them?

i can't really comment. before working here i drove an international 4600 at pepsi. i've never driven anything buy volvos and the aforementioned tiny international. well there was one day when we had to rent a truck and i drove an older mack, but that was during training so i didn't have enough experience to compare

I agree with you jcwcuda. People like testcase obviously have no life outside of work and become a company :butt kiss:. There is always one of those wherever you work. The biggest kicker is how the company puts flyers in with our paychecks about our health yet their forcing us to sit in a truck even longer every day. I am also waiting for the day I get rear ended going 20 mph up a hill. That will be the day I hire an attorney and go after the company for a big settlement if I get injured. I would also encourage any other party involved in the accident to go after the company.

if you want to extend the life of your turbo, let the truck idle for about a minute before shutting it off. it lets the turbo and the oil flowing through it cool down. if you cut it off immediately a crust of oil forms and causes premature wear. this is the reason why people with big HP turbo'd street cars use a device called a turbo timer.
Very good point Demo man:1036316054:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've told guys the same thing and they look at me like i'm crazy!!!!

if you want to extend the life of your turbo, let the truck idle for about a minute before shutting it off

I thought that was why they put a 5 minute idle timer on it, otherwise to save fuel there would be a micro switch on the seat

I can't complain. My little PS does alright. I make deliveries and pull sets with it.

BESIDES MY OLD MACK IS GETTING SLOW
IT STILL HAS THE PULL.AND I HAVE A 100
SERIES.SO IT IS GOOD THAT I AM THE ONLY
ONE THAT USES IT.I KNOW WHERE IT HAS THE POWER AND WERE IT DON'T.:clap:

The Mack PT's don't pull any better with the cruise. They cut that out along with the power. They have 330/350 Mack engines, but I'd guess they are set around 300hp.
The only incentive for running the cruise will be a 2mph gain once they are set at 66.

The PS series has more power than the PT or 100 series.Ive had all of them at one time or another and my present PS pulls the best.

Its far more difference than just the extra axle but your right ,it is extra weight.But that being said when I can pull hills better with a single axle over the twin that just doesn't seem right to me.Not being an employee of our company I'm not sure if you understand that the PS tractors are city only.The PT and 100 series are our line haul tractors that pull duty as city tractors also.

Its far more difference than just the extra axle but your right ,it is extra weight.But that being said when I can pull hills better with a single axle over the twin that just doesn't seem right to me.Not being an employee of our company I'm not sure if you understand that the PS tractors are city only.The PT and 100 series are our line haul tractors that pull duty as city tractors also.

yes the ps is a city only,and th pt and the 100
series are city,line haul
:1036316054:

Its far more difference than just the extra axle but your right ,it is extra weight.

Well, they are about 5000 lbs lighter. That makes quite a bit of difference.

But that being said when I can pull hills better with a single axle over the twin that just doesn't seem right to me.

Unfortunately, that's the way it is.

Not being an employee of our company I'm not sure if you understand that the PS tractors are city only.

Says who?

The PT and 100 series are our line haul tractors that pull duty as city tractors also.
I don't particularly care. I do linehaul runs with by PS all the time. I ain't driving somebody else's damn pig sty. Besides, it's tagged heavy and has a sliding 5th wheel, for those drivers among us that aren't too stupid to know how to use them.

At our barn PS units are strictly city so that is where I'm speaking from.I don't know about your barn and have no Idea what you do.

I too run heavy but I got so sick of sharing a unit with a new line haul driver and times that the tractor simply didn't come back in time for my run that I told my TM I was switching back to my old PS since it became available.

Most or all of the PS (International) trucks have more horsepower than the PT trucks.... Guess they just came from the factory that way, check with a mechanic they can tell on the computer.. Also the PS trucks run a differnt gear in the rear end.