ODFL | New Trucks

DMT

TB Veteran
Credits
With the expansion of OD and the number of terminals growing how long will it be before OD can no longer afford to buy as many new trucks every year.This year they bought more than a 1000 just based upon the addition of the 275 numbered trucks not including any city or team trucks.At what point does OD extend the life of the trucks because of sheer numbers to replace each year.

hmmmm im not sure i have not seen a tractor with over 400,000 miles on it. on another note i seen some otr companys with supersingle drive tires i wonder if od will start getting those.

hmmmm im not sure i have not seen a tractor with over 400,000 miles on it. on another note i seen some otr companys with supersingle drive tires i wonder if od will start getting those.

I'll see if I can find out what the trade in miles are.Does anybody know ? Those super singles would make things real interesting.

I do not know personally but I can tell you from experience that I have driven trucks with nearly 600K miles.

I spoke to a mechanic in MRT that said he knows of trucks with over 1 million miles that have been overhauled and rebuilt more than once.

Seems like I saw a Maverick flatbed truck with the super single tires.

I can tell you that if you see a truck with more than 400,000 miles on it, it will be a city truck, and if they have more than that they are team trucks, which the years I have been here it has always been to keep them 3 years on linehaul and 2 years in city then trade back in. Of course you know they go through there on leasing company in Richmond Va. to get these trucks. I am thankful for the great equipment we have here at OD. As long as they are making the money they make they will always keep buying more and more new equipment, because one, it has less maintence to worry about and it keeps the cost down for repairs and such with warrintys. Of course they might have one or two here and there alittle older, but that is just something you wouldn't even count. The future looks great here at OD, and I belive in 1992, Mr.Congdon said he was going to be the biggest and greatest LTL company in North America, he surley has a great start. What a great company to be with now, and what a great place for the future, so stay deciated guys, you will have it made.

Currently, the 2004 Linehaul daycab I drive has just under 483,000 miles on the odometer. There was another 2004 I drove a while back that had just over 562,000 miles. Both daycabs and used for linehaul. I will check some others when I go to work tonight and give a rundown on mileage.

i have seen team trucks with 1,250,000 miles on them and still be on the road and have seen several daycabs runing city that are1992 models don't know what the milage is on those never looked in

92 would not have a/c in them,would not have a lot of volunteers for those.the team trucks mileage would not surprise me because of the distance back and forth from east coast to west coast that they go constantly.i just simply ask right now it seems that OD parks and sell trucks that are on average 10-11 years old without regard to mileage.How many road trucks does OD have right now and in 5- 10 years will they be able to replace the ones reaching retirement as they do now.At what point does OD extent the normal retirement age to 12-13 years or longer because of the numbers of new trucks they will have to buy to replace retiring trucks.

92 would not have a/c in them,would not have a lot of volunteers for those.the team trucks mileage would not surprise me because of the distance back and forth from east coast to west coast that they go constantly.i just simply ask right now it seems that OD parks and sell trucks that are on average 10-11 years old without regard to mileage.How many road trucks does OD have right now and in 5- 10 years will they be able to replace the ones reaching retirement as they do now.At what point does OD extent the normal retirement age to 12-13 years or longer because of the numbers of new trucks they will have to buy to replace retiring trucks.

you are right they don't have volunteers for the 1992 trucks they ae assigned trucks for city they don't have a say in it at my term most city trucks are 1996 volvos to 1999 model freightliners

Had a chance to drive a 07 with Jake Brake and Merc. Eng. seemed OK, definitely has a different eng sound, Eng noise seemed quieter. The Jake is quite when it activates, Power of eng seemed OK, Jake comes on at 72 creates a little problem when you need the momentum to pass another truck, sometimes. Had a Eaton Trans. Gears are tight close together.
Overall I would rate it pretty good.

Had a chance to drive a 07 with Jake Brake and Merc. Eng. seemed OK, definitely has a different eng sound, Eng noise seemed quieter. The Jake is quite when it activates, Power of eng seemed OK, Jake comes on at 72 creates a little problem when you need the momentum to pass another truck, sometimes. Had a Eaton Trans. Gears are tight close together.

Sounds like a nice unit,but here's the big question.........did it have a am/fm radio ?

drove one the past couple days in des nice trucks but still no radio the shifter is nice its not as tall and the gears are a lot closer to each other. feels almost like a stick shift in a car

The gears will loosen up after about 100K or so. I drive an '06 Freightliner now w/Eaton 10 speed and I noticed it was tight when I first got it also.

I do line haul and my truck just turn 672000 last night. I was told in GBO that they won't be switching my truck for a newer one for a long time probably not until it reaches 1.5 million, but who knows. A couple months ago I switched out all of our '01 city trucks for '03's and one '06 but the '06 has been back 2 times for repairs and when it came back from GBO the second time we had to get it fixed locally. I know a guy out of North GA who has an '07 with the merc. engine he says it pulls better than the others but he can't understand why it has everything under the hood for the jake brake but it has no controls in the cab so it can be used.

I can tell you that if you see a truck with more than 400,000 miles on it, it will be a city truck, and if they have more than that they are team trucks, which the years I have been here it has always been to keep them 3 years on linehaul and 2 years in city then trade back in. Of course you know they go through there on leasing company in Richmond Va. to get these trucks. I am thankful for the great equipment we have here at OD. As long as they are making the money they make they will always keep buying more and more new equipment, because one, it has less maintence to worry about and it keeps the cost down for repairs and such with warrintys. Of course they might have one or two here and there alittle older, but that is just something you wouldn't even count. The future looks great here at OD, and I belive in 1992, Mr.Congdon said he was going to be the biggest and greatest LTL company in North America, he surley has a great start. What a great company to be with now, and what a great place for the future, so stay deciated guys, you will have it made.

boy id sure like to be at your terminal cause up here in philly its more like 3 years line haul and 7 years city. my tm asked me to swap a 96 gmc volvo today up at harrisburg and the damn thing didint start.

No radio. Definitly a nice truck. Low mies though time will tell if that Merc. Eng. holds up.

i dont know about the engine but a driver came into are barn the other day wit one of those 275 tractors said the tranny was done. i dont know if it was the driver or the enigne that messed that tranny up. sent him back home in a 97 volvo though ahahahha....that was the joke of the mournin.

I do line haul and my truck just turn 672000 last night. I was told in GBO that they won't be switching my truck for a newer one for a long time probably not until it reaches 1.5 million, but who knows. A couple months ago I switched out all of our '01 city trucks for '03's and one '06 but the '06 has been back 2 times for repairs and when it came back from GBO the second time we had to get it fixed locally. I know a guy out of North GA who has an '07 with the merc. engine he says it pulls better than the others but he can't understand why it has everything under the hood for the jake brake but it has no controls in the cab so it can be used.

that sounds like a screw up all the merc. ive seen have two switches for the engine break at least all he ones in mrt do