ABF | next day freight..

Trucking Green

Driving my life away ....
Credits
I would like to here the input on how ABF will put the pse to make it happen out west where there is one term. every 4 to 5 hundred miles aprt from one other. The thing is the only way i think this could work is if we run the freight like Rl/conway/or usf they have meet points and it works for them. how would we do this? and do we have the dock space for this. to cross/dock this freight that is next day the thing is do we have the power/trailers for this and will that take from the line ..........

Yes it will take from the Road it already does take from the Road and the Road can't even bid for the work that is what makes it so bad.(except where there is a combo board.)
ABF has meat and turns in some lanes already i hope we get more. GO said once the lanes get built up there will be work for the Road.

what do you mean combo board the miles we run out here just to get to your point is 225 miles one way if you where going to do meet and turns others that would be only second shortest..others are longer.

Are you asking me what a combo board is??
One board everyone on it. They have combo boards in some of the north east barns.

I can't bid on PSE work because i am on the Road we get no PSE work we loose work to the PSE. We lost a bid turn to 034 so far. Fort Smith has said the only way the road in my area will get PSE work is when the lane is built up to full trailers.

thanks 12pack was not sure what it was, they have not even said any thing about what they are going to do.... out in the southwest lanes.. i dont even know how they will do this.....see we are not like the east our freight barns are far apart .....

Yes it will take from the Road it already does take from the Road and the Road can't even bid for the work that is what makes it so bad.(except where there is a combo board.)
ABF has meat and turns in some lanes already i hope we get more. GO said once the lanes get built up there will be work for the Road.

Yeah and we really believe what they have to say....RIGHT:toxic:

These family member coworkers have drawn the line in the sand with their BS changing and giving our work away without the agreed to change of operations.

If they want flexibility, we'll give it to them, after they show us how flexible they can be. Thus far their flexibility is non-existant here in Chicago, and that is what we're going to give them in return.
You reap what you sow, take that to BOB magicman.

two words
EXPEDITED LINEHAUL

Whar? How are you suposed to expedite anything at 15 mph. slower than your competition? The turtle, and the rabbot was a fable. The reality is we have some of the slowest equipment on the highway, and thats okay as long as you can penalize drivers for delay of freight. (oxymoron)

Whar? How are you suposed to expedite anything at 15 mph. slower than your competition? The turtle, and the rabbot was a fable. The reality is we have some of the slowest equipment on the highway, and thats okay as long as you can penalize drivers for delay of freight. (oxymoron)

nothwithstanding the equipment capabilities as driving 77 mph as far as ABF is concerned is unsafe, the general idea of the company is to expedite linehaul lanes,
meaning the bypassing the breakbulks to a terminal whereas a PSE employee will swap sets
currently in the northeast here is the prime example and it is accomplished with equipment not exceeding 62 mph, previously 59 mph
the PSE guys get paid hourly so there is no rush as for you linehaul guys speed is helpful but how much time are you really looking to shave off the run, 15 -20 minutes? is that extra money really worth it when you could end up in a ditch by rushing around?
winston-salem freight that used to go to carlisle now is taken to avenel nj by roadmen from 051whereas the area terminals send PSE employees with a set destined to winston salem to do a "swap"
this freight never hits the avenel dock except their own freight, as this terminal is just utilized by abf as a STAGING POINT
this practice shaves one day off the service time which without PSE would be a 3 day lane now it is a 2 day lane

wherever the company wishes to implement this type of expedited linehaul i do not believe it will prove to be too difficult:smilie_132: except of course for the break that is bypassed, those roadmen unfortunately lose that work

nothwithstanding the equipment capabilities as driving 77 mph as far as ABF is concerned is unsafe, the general idea of the company is to expedite linehaul lanes,
meaning the bypassing the breakbulks to a terminal whereas a PSE employee will swap sets
currently in the northeast here is the prime example and it is accomplished with equipment not exceeding 62 mph, previously 59 mph
the PSE guys get paid hourly so there is no rush as for you linehaul guys speed is helpful but how much time are you really looking to shave off the run, 15 -20 minutes? is that extra money really worth it when you could end up in a ditch by rushing around?
winston-salem freight that used to go to carlisle now is taken to avenel nj by roadmen from 051whereas the area terminals send PSE employees with a set destined to winston salem to do a "swap"
this freight never hits the avenel dock except their own freight, as this terminal is just utilized by abf as a STAGING POINT
this practice shaves one day off the service time which without PSE would be a 3 day lane now it is a 2 day lane

wherever the company wishes to implement this type of expedited linehaul i do not believe it will prove to be too difficult:smilie_132: except of course for the break that is bypassed, those roadmen unfortunately lose that work

I think that 77 miles per hour is absolutely ridiculous, 65 or 66 would be plenty fast and really faster than I wish to drive. However, if you analyze the systems of the others, who can accomplish NEXT day 700 mile relays, you'll find that being able to keep the speed up to the legal limit, is imperative. I know that there is added cost, with regard to fuel consumption and the like, but I believe if a cost/reward study was done, you might feel that there may be support for added speed. Additionally, if these tractors were allowed to utilize more POWER that is available, that is, pulling power, be increased, and the "soft cruise" removed, the driver could actually drive the truck. Set up as is, actually hinders reasonable operation of this equipment.

I really don't think it is a matter of more money. To some, it might be, but as far as I am concerned, with all the abusive delays we are forced to endure, 15 to 30 mins per run, could add up to 3 extra hours with a guys family. What PSE and P&D guys sometimes don't understand is that after your shift, you go home.

The ABF system is already set up to take advantage of well thought out relay points, both line haul and PSE, the trouble is that there, since the addition of an extra hour to drive, some idea there that has enticed central dispatch to try to utilize that hour, unsuccessfully. This has thrown the well oiled machine that we once new into convulsions, and causes more delays, although minor, are still delays. There was a time our line haul relay has done with regularity, overnight service from Springfield, MO, to Green Bay. ABQ to Syracuse, NY in 36 hours, punch to punch. Therefore, bypassing the breaks, (road domiciles)has done more damage than benefit.

I think that nuckinfutz has a valid point as do you. However, I believe that a blending in some time in the near future of PSE and line haul, could bring our service to levels never before seen in the transportation industry.

The whole big picture screen needs to change channels back to the working smarter channel, instead of the working harder channel.

the meet and greets under the pse arrangement has stopped
this was due to the negative impact on roadmen in carlisle's earnings this year vs last
abf has paid over a $100,000 in claims to shortchanged roadies
well done guys

word has it due to that payout carlisle has laid off a bunch of drivers

the additional flexibility abf seeks in pse is the ok to run linehaul sets into the nxdp terminals
for what real purpose who knows?

...I believe that a blending in some time in the near future of PSE and line haul, could bring our service to levels never before seen in the transportation industry.

There's probably no way I can ask this without coming across as a jerk, but that's honestly not my intent.

So please don't take this as a flame--just a question and observation:

What would you consider "never before seen" service levels to be?

FXF has been running at 99% for quite a while, with very few "exception codes" (weather, etc.)

If a blending of your PSE (which I don't profess to fully understand) and linehaul can bring your service up to 100%, you guys are going to put the rest of us out of business. Our folks (and Conway) are going to have to step up to the plate!

Have a great weekend!
FXF OAF

There's probably no way I can ask this without coming across as a jerk, but that's honestly not my intent.

FXF has been running at 99% for quite a while, with very few "exception codes" (weather, etc.)

If a blending of your PSE (which I don't profess to fully understand) and linehaul can bring your service up to 100%, you guys are going to put the rest of us out of business. Our folks (and Conway) are going to have to step up to the plate!

Have a great weekend!
FXF OAF

Because ABF has the slaves, and most important highly skilled slave drivers. Nuff said.

Have a great weekend!
FXF OAF

No problem.

The 110% service entitlement is an attainable goal. Better than expected service, no claims, etc.

We have people that can concentrate on loading and unloading, dock workers. The best money can buy. We have the best people doing yard work, who's entire job is to spot trailers, fuel, break and build sets, and make sure the equipment is safe for the line-haul drivers. The dedicated linehaul drivers, and skillful city driver, who interact with our customers in a positive way.

Couple all of these service oriented professionals, with delivery better than promised and our new RPM same/next day services, and zero claims, everyone wins.

We can do it.

Besides, theres enough freight for everyone.

Old AF, Not to put down your company or any other company but most companies use 2 different sets of figures when figuring on time percentages. There are external and internal figures.

Lets use NY to CA as an example. Company A tells their customers that NY to CA is a 5 day lane. In reality, they know it takes 6 days to get the freight their and use that as their internal number. If the freight gets there in 6 days they then call it an on time delivery based on their internal numbers.

I'm simplifying this but I'm sure you get the idea. You know the old saying. Figures lie and liars figure.

Old AF, Not to put down your company or any other company but most companies use 2 different sets of figures when figuring on time percentages. There are external and internal figures.

Lets use NY to CA as an example. Company A tells their customers that NY to CA is a 5 day lane. In reality, they know it takes 6 days to get the freight their and use that as their internal number. If the freight gets there in 6 days they then call it an on time delivery based on their internal numbers.

I'm simplifying this but I'm sure you get the idea. You know the old saying. Figures lie and liars figure.

Welcome to creative management 101.