FedEx Freight | Night time differential for road

teampurple

TB Lurker
Credits
Heard some grumbling about pay increase for road at night vs daytime effective june 1. Anyone else heard this or are some guys blowing smoke?

If I could work 9-5 days I’d do city in a NY minute but you end up working to 7 or 8 at night so either way your day is worthless. I did at one point go from road to city and always worked until 7 or 8 so I says screw it
and went back. Ahhhh life in LTL
And no way! Whatever u heard is a BS rumor that will never come to fruition

Oh, I love this debate...mainly because of the masses of misinformed drivers that we currently retain!!

First, everyone must understand why the road drivers make what we make...because back in the day we left on Sunday night only to return home on Sat morn since almost everyone ran the system...at night!! Then there was the lifestyle of being on the road, etc, that contributed to our wage rate. The change of operations back in the late 90’s created our meet and turns which resulted in daytime runs to move the two-day freight while our next day freight still moves at night. What the masses fail to realize is that most of our freight still moves at night!! Unless you’re domiciled at a hub, the chances of your center having daytime runs are slim to none.

By insisting that there be a premium for night time runs, what you’re essentially asking for is a cut in pay for daytime runs since we’re already paid a premium for working nights!!

With that being said, I currently carry enough seniority (not great but good enough) to have choices for either good daytime or premium night time runs and I chose to split the difference with a 3am start time. It’s not because I like going to bed at 6pm but because daytime traffic SUCKS!!!

Also, with what I’ve experienced the PM drivers already get a “bump in pay” with the amount of extra drop/hooks accumulated over a weeks time vs what a daytime driver gets and with the miles driven vs the amount of time it took to complete those miles (which is what really counts)....PM drivers make a lot more than AM with less hours worked!!

Oh, I love this debate...mainly because of the masses of misinformed drivers that we currently retain!!

First, everyone must understand why the road drivers make what we make...because back in the day we left on Sunday night only to return home on Sat morn since almost everyone ran the system...at night!! Then there was the lifestyle of being on the road, etc, that contributed to our wage rate. The change of operations back in the late 90’s created our meet and turns which resulted in daytime runs to move the two-day freight while our next day freight still moves at night. What the masses fail to realize is that most of our freight still moves at night!! Unless you’re domiciled at a hub, the chances of your center having daytime runs are slim to none.

By insisting that there be a premium for night time runs, what you’re essentially asking for is a cut in pay for daytime runs since we’re already paid a premium for working nights!!

With that being said, I currently carry enough seniority (not great but good enough) to have choices for either good daytime or premium night time runs and I chose to split the difference with a 3am start time. It’s not because I like going to bed at 6pm but because daytime traffic SUCKS!!!

Also, with what I’ve experienced the PM drivers already get a “bump in pay” with the amount of extra drop/hooks accumulated over a weeks time vs what a daytime driver gets and with the miles driven vs the amount of time it took to complete those miles (which is what really counts)....PM drivers make a lot more than AM with less hours worked!!

No way could you compare our traffic with todays, I had the fuzz to run day or night but to leave Charl.
at midnight and return next AM,between 2-4 AM was a bonus to me.