Yellow | No Hope For Hostess Union Deal: CEO!

Appreciate the info but shouldnt these topics you post be put in the General discussions section

I think its good to post this stuff here because it pertains to pensions and unions and I think there are a lot of folks like me who only come and browse a couple of forums and dont get over to general discussion very often.

Another case of a mismanaged company who wants to blame the workers! The "we can't afford to pay the pensions" scenario sounds famailiar doesn't it?

Hostess deal with unions is unlikely, CEO Gregory Rayburn said - NYPOST.com

:6792:
Yes indeed , management decisions , especially of the gobble up all the competition variety, messed up this company.
''Continental Baking merger
In January 1995, it acquired Continental Baking Company, for US$330 million and 16.9 million shares of Interstate stock from Ralston Purina. Among the divisions brought into the fold were Wonder Bread (which made bread products) and Hostess brands which concentrated on cakes such as Twinkies which had been created in 1933.[5] It also bought San Francisco French Bread Company, John J. Nissen Baking Company, Drake's, and My Bread Company.[4]
Under ex-Merita Baking head Charles Sullivan, Butternut and Wonder Bread operated with different cultures: Butternut was unregimented and each bakery was a self-contained profit center; Wonder Bread was very "procedural and by-the-book." This caused some problems early on. In both cultures, snack cakes were more profitable due to economy of scale and logistics. When extended-shelf-life enzymes were developed for bread, the hope was to convert the system of many small inefficient bakeries into an efficient network of a relatively few giant bakeries like their snack cakes operation.'' For more see the link : Hostess Brands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes indeed , management decisions , especially of the gobble up all the competition variety, messed up this company.
''Continental Baking merger
In January 1995, it acquired Continental Baking Company, for US$330 million and 16.9 million shares of Interstate stock from Ralston Purina. Among the divisions brought into the fold were Wonder Bread (which made bread products) and Hostess brands which concentrated on cakes such as Twinkies which had been created in 1933.[5] It also bought San Francisco French Bread Company, John J. Nissen Baking Company, Drake's, and My Bread Company.[4]
Under ex-Merita Baking head Charles Sullivan, Butternut and Wonder Bread operated with different cultures: Butternut was unregimented and each bakery was a self-contained profit center; Wonder Bread was very "procedural and by-the-book." This caused some problems early on. In both cultures, snack cakes were more profitable due to economy of scale and logistics. When extended-shelf-life enzymes were developed for bread, the hope was to convert the system of many small inefficient bakeries into an efficient network of a relatively few giant bakeries like their snack cakes operation.'' For more see the link : Hostess Brands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did a two year stint with (then) Continental in Safety/Ops back in the mid 80s. They claimed then that they only made 1/2 cent per loaf on the bread and better on the cake products. After two years, I had seen enough and went back to the freight world. Freight was a model of efficiency compared to Continental.

Hostess isn't a bad company to work for if you don't mind Cab Over Sleepers, Old KW's and volvos that are 2004 and older. The equipment is old and has lots of miles on it but other than that, there are really some good people that work there. I enjoyed the 6 months I was there. But, when I got laid off from YRC last fall and was thinking about staying until I found out that they had filed bankruptcy in January and were way worse off than we are I had to come back. Management treats you very well there and as long as you do your job, you don't have problems. Just like with anyplace.