ODFL | No Idle Policy!!!!

Grumpy O' Man

TB Veteran
Credits
Hope everyone is following the no idle policy.I just shake my head when I see on our competitor's tractor's just idling away.Also when I see a OD tractor idling away I just ask..WHY???I'm glad to see OD enforcing this..The computer's show all long Idle's&hope upper management is seeing this&asking?The other LTL's wonder why OD can operate under .90..Well,this is one of many reason's why..Let's keep it up..Are other term.'s enforcing the policy?Are you all using the progressive shifting rule's and watching ROI score's come down.I can say it is harder to keep my 30 day company ranking down.I hope that show's that we are all working to make it better.Bottom line is more money back to OD&more into our pocket's.

I got hit with a long idle a few weeks ago because I had to do a parked regen on the tractor you would think that something mechanical wouldn't count against you it sucked seeing my roi score for that week

I got hit with a long idle a few weeks ago because I had to do a parked regen on the tractor you would think that something mechanical wouldn't count against you it sucked seeing my roi score for that week

Just shut it off then when the truck has to go to the shop your in the clear.But then they will want to know why you didn't let it idle.Catch 22

Yes my dpf was so clogged It derated the truck and forced me to have to do a parked so I could finish my run they wouldn't send it to the shop until I did the parked but that's the first time I've had to do a parked in a day cab maybe it won't happen again

FedEx Freight set theirs from 4 minutes to 1 minute a while back, a lot of our tractors would die at stoplights with no way to override. They are 2 minutes now, but some of the newer Kenworths still can't be overridden. Supposedly over 100º and below 20º the engine computer is supposed to allow idling but I'd say over half don't work as advertised.

roog

All new truck's burn the new DEF additive to mix with the fuel.The DEF burn's the unused fumes off.New EPA rules..The computer will do this automatic while on a long haul..But,if you drive around town or on a short haul the computer will not burn..So the warning light go's off...Then you have to do it sitting still..That's called a Park Regen.The new truck's that are produced now have to run cleaner..The freightliner's have 3-4 smog converter's....If you happen to see any new tractor with a blue cap on the tank.That is for the DEF fuel.
What is a parked regen? I am a Holland driver. We don't have any new tractors.

Also with the ROI..Be careful allowing any shop guy's drive your tractor when you are logged in on the computer..They still bump the governor driving around the yard..UGGG.Trailer shop got mine last week..I alway's have 0 Roi..Went to a .05 last week....Boy!!!it will hurt your 30 day rank...

Also with the ROI..Be careful allowing any shop guy's drive your tractor when you are logged in on the computer..They still bump the governor driving around the yard..UGGG.Trailer shop got mine last week..I alway's have 0 Roi..Went to a .05 last week....Boy!!!it will hurt your 30 day rank...
you mean hitting top speed in the yard isnt kosher? darn it!

The truck's are set to cut off after so many minutes..But, what get's me is the driver's who just sit in them with it running&they will rev it up so it will not cut off.Instead of just cutting the thing off..Driver's complain about long idles at stopp light's..Very easy to correct.Very simple..When you stop give yourself plenty of room from the other vehicle ..just let the clutch out just a little..Foot on the brake..This will move the tractor so it will not show long idles.

1st year no idle came into effect, spent 14 hrs stranded behind wreck in blizzard, -10 temps. 50 miles from nearest town. So even though it sucked, couldn't even rest due to bumping foot feed. Understand and practice policy, yet some conditions can be hazardous to your well being. Always was one to get the freight through, if road was open. So, if in a non idling truck and bad weather coming, took attitude "Why chance it again". Western terminals would swap me tractors, so I could cover runs in bad conditions. Wouldn't have let anyone I cared about out in sub zero conditions in a vehicle they couldn't keep running in emergency/stranded situation. Newer trucks have the temp. feature, haven't tried it, because I haven't needed to. Always practiced this policy before equipment was programed for it.

Remember calling road rescue in Fargo 2 winters ago from motel, tractor plugged in, fuel good, strong batteries, actual air temp. -47. Lady could not fathom that cold or why tractor wouldn't even go umpfh. After towed to heated shop, 9 hrs later it started. Oil is solid at that temp. and block heater isn't effective. Terminal had tarps with space heaters to allow crank over. Spent years working in that region, at 9pm night before called central to request home time the fallowing week, and commented tractor would be frozen come morning. Not ESP, just certain conditions need to have an override feature, approval by call in, if need be.

I agree with Ruffian about the need to be able to override the idle shutdown,at least in in the west,Many people out east think snow falls vertically,out here it falls horizontal! just this week western KS(where I run)was under a blizzard warning,I've freighted here a long time and suspected that the weather was going to miss the area when I was going to be there(it ended up slamming just north and west of GOK)however I ended up needlessly sitting at home,because I wasn't gonna take the chance of being wrong and end up sitting on I-70 and having to spend whatever time I'm sitting there restarting the tractor,or pressing the throttle every 5 minutes,even for an hour while waiting for the highway to clean up instead of relaxing

Just got finished reading all the feedbacks from this blog. I put a comment in about the BLU on another blog, there has to be some way for forgiveness. I have heard some guys need to leave their trucks running for lift gate services, maybe a low battery. It would be nice to follow your daily ROI score just like you follow your log. I try very hard to keep a 0 ROI score, it does get to be hard when you move from truck to truck. My present position is 135, last week it was 100 with a 0.01 over rpm. As a appointed driver trainer I look at the score every time it is posted (as well as other service centers). I try to talk with drivers at my service center to try and help them achieve a better ROI. I got to say, I was just in PHX seen their score sheet 1 driver had a position of 48. Hats off to that driver. So, I guess it is possible to save money. Last but not least it would be nice for the company to do a yearly average and recognize thse drivers for their efforts.

So true..I usually keep mine up in the 70's for thirty day average.But,you have one little stupid thing happen like letting the shop drive the tractor.Your a trainee that week.It just messes it up..When I say something to my manager he just blow's it off.O'h well.Maybe I'm just to picky about it..If they don't say nothing to you then don't worry about it..lol
Just got finished reading all the feedbacks from this blog. I put a comment in about the BLU on another blog, there has to be some way for forgiveness. I have heard some guys need to leave their trucks running for lift gate services, maybe a low battery. It would be nice to follow your daily ROI score just like you follow your log. I try very hard to keep a 0 ROI score, it does get to be hard when you move from truck to truck. My present position is 135, last week it was 100 with a 0.01 over rpm. As a appointed driver trainer I look at the score every time it is posted (as well as other service centers). I try to talk with drivers at my service center to try and help them achieve a better ROI. I got to say, I was just in PHX seen their score sheet 1 driver had a position of 48. Hats off to that driver. So, I guess it is possible to save money. Last but not least it would be nice for the company to do a yearly average and recognize thse drivers for their efforts.

Of course,you have the option of logging out before you turn the tractor over to the tender mercies off the shop techs.