FedEx Freight | No More Driving Extension

LTL PRO

TB Lurker
Credits
So we were told yesterday that there will be no more driving extensions PERIOD ! So my question is , how are they gonna make some of these runs ? I know of many runs here that are 550-600 miles plus where guys are constantly using their extensions and can NOT make it . That plus the company is too dumb to turn their trucks up to even keep up with traffic even though most of the area we run in is 70 . So how the hell are they gonna do it ??

I ran out of hours today because of a breakdown. Got in, told SCM I’m about 20 mins passed my 14. She asked if I called central for permission and I said no. She then said let’s see if we can get a hold of them. I said well let me know I have to get home. Well see if I can work tonight or not. I don’t care either way. Way I see it is it’s my log and if something legitimate happens we should be able to use it. That’s why it’s there.

Almost ran out once last year in the snow with empties. I was told if I’m close to running out I need to call. F that. I’m not gonna pull over on an exit to call central and get stuck. I’ll roll on in and deal with it later. Now if something’s going to put me past my extension than thats a different story.

So we were told yesterday that there will be no more driving extensions PERIOD ! So my question is , how are they gonna make some of these runs ? I know of many runs here that are 550-600 miles plus where guys are constantly using their extensions and can NOT make it . That plus the company is too dumb to turn their trucks up to even keep up with traffic even though most of the area we run in is 70 . So how the hell are they gonna do it ??
Probably with lay down runs.

I ran out of hours today because of a breakdown. Got in, told SCM I’m about 20 mins passed my 14. She asked if I called central for permission and I said no. She then said let’s see if we can get a hold of them. I said well let me know I have to get home. Well see if I can work tonight or not. I don’t care either way. Way I see it is it’s my log and if something legitimate happens we should be able to use it. That’s why it’s there.

Almost ran out once last year in the snow with empties. I was told if I’m close to running out I need to call. F that. I’m not gonna pull over on an exit to call central and get stuck. I’ll roll on in and deal with it later. Now if something’s going to put me past my extension than thats a different story.

If they question you, tell them you had to get to FMCSA Safe Haven.....

If they question you, tell them you had to get to FMCSA Safe Haven.....

Yea, I wasn’t about to sit on the side of the highway when I’m 10 miles from my barn. A while back a guy ran out of hours on the exit ramp about 2 miles from the service center. He called central and he had to wait an hour for a city guy to show up. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission lol.

Had a conversation with central today about the two hour extension. Yes it was going away at first but as of now its still available to use with a extra person involved. Central now has to have a manager approve the extension because the abuse it was being used before.
Its only for unforeseen circumstances like weather and a road closed for a accident. Not a known construction zone. Another was purposely holding you at meet point till your meet man arrives. I’ve waited as much as 3 hours when I should of went through, they would use the extension...not what its for, or dispatch because they could abuse the extension. Thats not a option to get extended.A road service breakdown falls into a grey area of extension because your on the clock.
So I see some changes coming on the ways we are held up

Last edited:
Had a conversation with central today about the two hour extension. Yes it was going away at first but as of now its still available to use with a extra person involved. Central now has to have a manager approve the extension because the abuse it was being used before.
Its only for unforeseen circumstances like weather and a road closed for a accident. Not a known construction zone. Another was purposely holding you at meet point till your meet man arrives. I’ve waited as much as 3 hours when I should of went through, they would use the extension...not what its for, or dispatch because they could abuse the extension. Thats not a option to get extended.A road service breakdown falls into a grey area of extension because your on the clock.
Glad you clarified that Gator. I see many who think you can do a 16 hour at will, and often as they want. Plus I’m would think your central told you it can be used only once in any 7 day stretch.

Thanks for clarifying Gator

We have a lot of 500 to 650 mile runs at OD , those runs they turn the tractors up to 68 mph even 70mph for tractors assigned to those runs,,, problem solved! If you run out of time still because of weather etc. time to get a hotel, or get picked up.

However it is in the best interest for the company to allow drivers to use there extension when needed,, the freight gets moved and that makes Fedex happy, any restrictions or not allowing drivers to use there 14 hour extension is probably coming from DOT pressuring Fedex on the abuse of the 14hour extension rule!

However it is in the best interest for the company to allow drivers to use there extension when needed,, the freight gets moved and that makes Fedex happy, any restrictions or not allowing drivers to use there 14 hour extension is probably coming from DOT pressuring Fedex on the abuse of the 14hour extension rule!
Yes I agree its in the best interest to move the freight, but some of this abuse is daily on certain runs because of a known obstacle like construction. But because before the construction the run was made within the elog rules.
Also as the first of the year you will be responsible for any extension explanations because your elog goes straight to the DOT

I'm assuming you mean 16 hour exception, which has no stipulations on the reason it may be used, only parameters regulating it's actual use. Short of you taking the next day off and getting a 34 in as a result after using the 16, you won't be able to use it again in the balance of the work week, so there isn't an "abuse" factor in play.

Now, regarding the driving time extension... that's a different story.

Waiting 3 hours for your meet driver to arrive wouldn't cause you to need the 2 hour drive extension, but the 16 hour exception extending your duty clock to 16 hours. The 16 hour exception does not stipulate use for emergencies or unforeseen circumstances like the 13 hour drive extension does.

Waiting 3 hours for your meet driver to arrive wouldn't cause you to need the 2 hour drive extension, but the 16 hour exception extending your duty clock to 16 hours. The 16 hour exception does not stipulate use for emergencies or unforeseen circumstances like the 13 hour drive extension does.
when its done daily to get you back, they use the extension because the 16 can only be used once. Thats the abuse that was going on.
We have drivers being extended every day to complete the trip when that isnt the reason for the extension

when its done daily to get you back, they use the extension because the 16 can only be used once. Thats the abuse that was going on.
We have drivers being extended every day to complete the trip when that isnt the reason for the extension

We have drivers requesting the extension... that's the problem. If you as a driver KNOW that using the drive time extension isn't legit, then you also have a legal obligation to not use it and maintain legal logs.

Run out of time and sit on hourly pay waiting to be rescued. Mathematically, if the driving extension can get you home within your 14, then the center should be able to rescue you within your 14 as well (assuming you have notified powers that be with enough notice), right?

We have drivers requesting the extension... that's the problem. If you as a driver KNOW that using the drive time extension isn't legit, then you also have a legal obligation to not use it and maintain legal logs.

Run out of time and sit on hourly pay waiting to be rescued. Mathematically, if the driving extension can get you home within your 14, then the center should be able to rescue you within your 14 as well (assuming you have notified powers that be with enough notice), right?
Im just answering to whyit almost went away. Im aware of the rules. Even though I sat at the meet point 3 hours I did use the 16. Im just pointing out the abuse that was happening and why we have to go through a manager. Per central

Im just answering to whyit almost went away. Im aware of the rules. Even though I sat at the meet point 3 hours I did use the 16. Im just pointing out the abuse that was happening and why we have to go through a manager. Per central

Totally understood. Abuse of the logging requirements and adherence to regulations by carriers and drivers are what brought us ELD in the first place.

It's a shame that the use of the extension almost brings about the LTL acronym to mean "less than legal".