Estes | Ok , Now that all has settled down!!!!!!

Starkravinloon

Hero's Falling At Home
Credits
What do you guys think of the direction Estes is going. Please, limit this to Estes employees. Can't stop others, just asking.:smilie_132:

If Estes is truely cash rich and has no long-term debt as they say (and I have no reason to doubt them based on their recent aquisition of YRC Terminals for cash) their direction is a good one and they may just come out on top when all the dust settles from this depression.

We received a pay raise when many other companies, both union and non-union, have conceded pay decreases and 401k matches. Besides, runs have been added to terminals where they have been cut, drivers have been called back, and the tonnage is increasing, albeit at a slow pace.

Therefore, the future of Estes Express looks fine and we are doing better than ALL the other companies out there who are bleeding money and are strapped by long-term debt even though some drivers, including myself, are asked to take a day off now and then so that other drivers may run and I gladly concede even if it means a day off without pay. As long as I am working and secure while many other companies' drivers are sweating it out I am fine with it.

Trust me, if we are being told the truth and not a line of BS, we will be much more stronger in the long run.

dust settled

We are in a good position. I hope we do not lose more Estes jobs. If the economy worsens or remains flat, we will see the genius of the Yrc move. YRC has a struggle to keep their creditors happy. If they fail, the giant shortfall of capacity will be filled, market share to the first to the dock. Estes has these trminals purchased from YRC, more could be added, but the people and equipment are added faster and easier than terminals. If YRC survives, income to Estes in a bear market and a valuable asset for the future.

even though some drivers, including myself, are asked to take a day off now and then so that other drivers may run and I gladly concede even if it means a day off without pay.
I have a lot of respect for the Big E. But I will venture to guess that not all your drivers feel the same about taking off work with no pay! Shoe out, see you in the right lane when you blow my doors off! :smilie_132:

I have a lot of respect for the Big E. But I will venture to guess that not all your drivers feel the same about taking off work with no pay! Shoe out, see you in the right lane when you blow my doors off! :smilie_132:

Ya I just love the guys that look to see YRC fail at our company without even thinking twice about what if you were in a YRC drivers shoes and shut the doors.
Some guys have family, kids, wifes, etc. I don't want to see anybody close the doors that is not good for anybody.

Ya I just love the guys that look to see YRC fail at our company without even thinking twice about what if you were in a YRC drivers shoes and shut the doors.
Some guys have family, kids, wifes, etc. I don't want to see anybody close the doors that is not good for anybody.

Amen!....I think they will come out of it. They may be a stream-lined version of the old yrc but I think they will make it.

What do you guys think of the direction Estes is going. Please, limit this to Estes employees. Can't stop others, just asking.:smilie_132:

I think we are in a great position. We are more balanced in the east and almost thru the growing pains in the west. Rob and his circle of managers have kept us very diversified so if one division hits a slow spot the others can take up the slack.
We have a full plate of services for our customers and a good solid driver base. So I think the sky is the limit for us down the road!...:1036316054:

(I know , I know, I'm a hopeless optimist but I can't help it.... I just call 'em like I see 'em)

Estes is going to be a large player and it really is a great company, run very well. The damages is what got to me and nothing was done or inforced about them though.

Estes is going to be a large player and it really is a great company, run very well. The damages is what got to me and nothing was done or inforced about them though.

I agree about the first part but on the second I must say they are working very hard to cut damages. That is always a on-going thing with all LTL companies.

Example: Corporate has had Charlotte shop custom build a pup with the back half of the walls plexi-glass to see thru. They now load frieght on that pup and take it down the road to observe and film how it rides. This has helped alot of guys see how important it is to load it right. There are other things we do to improve, but that is one of the latest.

Nobody with any sense wants to see YRC fail.. First, and foremost, for a "U" company, there are some of the most dedicated, business minded drivers you will ever meet.... They know thier Shiite! They are hard workers, and work for thier company to wrangle new freight.
They also know how to co- exist in buisiness with thier non "U" compadrades, and be civil.
I have been rebutted by alot of people to my point that YRC sets the driver salary rates, but I still say without them, our rate falls to crappola over time..
If nothing else, in this crashing economy, we would rather see 30,000 people empoyed and squeak by rather than have the industry overwhelmed, by freight we are not talented enough to handle...

Nobody with any sense wants to see YRC fail.. First, and foremost, for a "U" company, there are some of the most dedicated, business minded drivers you will ever meet.... They know thier Shiite! They are hard workers, and work for thier company to wrangle new freight.
They also know how to co- exist in buisiness with thier non "U" compadrades, and be civil.
I have been rebutted by alot of people to my point that YRC sets the driver salary rates, but I still say without them, our rate falls to crappola over time..
If nothing else, in this crashing economy, we would rather see 30,000 people empoyed and squeak by rather than have the industry overwhelmed, by freight we are not talented enough to handle...

Very well put, Legshot. I think with Rob countin' those beans, we'll be fine. I ran Hub for 3 yrs, and some of these dockmen at these terminals are a piece of work. All they need is training, they're good people and hard workers,they just need training.KEEP ON LOOKIN' OUT FOR US ROB and we'll keep movin' the freight.:smilie_132:

Every opinion in here has merit.....I just wish I knew how YRC got into this situation, and maybe they can back track to he beginning, and turn it around...too many people, and too many lives are at stake in this serious situation....concessions are fine, but it will take more that giving up pay, 401, and any other fringe benefit to get it back....they need to look at the root of the problem, and start there....good luck to all....Estes will survive....

I just wish I knew how YRC got into this situation,

Ya know that is a really good question and I wonder the same thing. It would be good to know the real answer so the mistakes that were made could be avoided by them and everybody else in the future.
We need ALL of our American companies to do well. It is not company vs. company anymore but country vs. country now.

In this more global minded economy, bottom line
is we need all American business to do well so we can compete with China and other strong countries.

Every opinion in here has merit.....I just wish I knew how YRC got into this situation, and maybe they can back track to he beginning, and turn it around...too many people, and too many lives are at stake in this serious situation....concessions are fine, but it will take more that giving up pay, 401, and any other fringe benefit to get it back....they need to look at the root of the problem, and start there....good luck to all....Estes will survive....

How I see YRC got into this situation... They saw UPS and Fed Ex buying up companies, and Yellow was possibly threatened, and bought what was left, and bought big.. When you buy ROADWAY, and NEW PENN, etc. you are buying BIG! They did this as fuel went through the roof, and did not have a plan in place short term, let alone long term. Now they are in a panic to pull it together as they bleed cash.. It was stricktly a knee jerk reaction. They lost 900 MILLION last year.
Rumor has it that Rob Estes had offers to be bought by UPS and Fed Ex, and declined. That is the genius that is Rob Estes. He is not a third generation owner, spoiled brat kid looking for a payday. That is why I love working for this guy.
Can you imagine someone offering you MILLIONS to buy an island, and sit there and drink and F**ch your life away? How much do you love trucks, and employing people, and have the drive to be number one? (at this point, being number one will fall on his lap by default) I'm sure he and his team saw this coming..
I have to admit that I HATE sounding like a company kiss arse, but can any of you think of a better trucking company to be employed by in these shakey times?
Ask King's Disciple the difference between sand and rock...:bowdown:

I hear Rob is a good man. If I was in his shoes I would have sold the company a long time ago. I would be on a warm beach down south somewhere trying to figure out why night falls and day breaks.

if we keep getting bigger better then we would be worth more money later in life

I have to admit that I HATE sounding like a company kiss arse, but can any of you think of a better trucking company to be employed by in these shakey times?
Ask King's Disciple the difference between sand and rock...:bowdown:

That's right Leg. A wise man builds his house on the rock. But a foolish man builds on the sand. Jesus is talking here about building our lives on THE Rock which is Him. But you can also make this application to many other things we build our life on like what company you chose to work for etc.

Matthew 7:24-27

Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

It's all about building on something we have faith in and we have faith in Estes to build our lives and futures on them. I know something of the spiritual side of the Estes family and they have built this company upon the rock of God. Personally I believe that is why we are doing so well while the storm is blowing so hard right now.

Good one there Leg. thanks!

:bowdown: to The Rock of ages.

Are you telling me that Rob is a BAC????

Yes Rob professes to be a Christian and attends and supports his local church. If I'm not mistaken I think he still goes to the same church his grandparents and parents went to. But that could have changed in the last couple of years I'm not sure.

See bold type below...Estes family long time members of Westover Baptist Church.-

RICHMOND, VA – Robey W. Estes, Sr., age 85, died on Wednesday, August 30, 2006, in his home in Richmond, Va. He was the son of Estes Express Lines' founder W.W. Estes, president of the company from 1971–1990 and father of current President and CEO Robey W. Estes, Jr. (Rob).

Born in Mecklenburg County, Va., in 1921, Robey Estes was 10 years old when his father bought his first used Chevrolet truck and started a trucking business. He began working with his father's company during summer vacations while he was in high school.

While still in high school, he enlisted in a Virginia National Guard regiment that was activated early in World War II. He served his country for four and a half years, participating in the D-Day invasion of Omaha Beach in Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge. He was wounded three times and twice awarded the Purple Heart.

After returning home to Virginia, he attended the University of Richmond, but midway through his second year, he decided that "the business needed me more than I needed an education." So he quit to join Estes Express Lines on a full-time basis in 1946, and his father put him to work right away at one of the terminals. He served in just about every capacity—as driver, office clerk, shop foreman and terminal manager—before becoming the company's general manager in 1953.

Robey spearheaded measures to dramatically improve the company's safety and claims records, as well as its customer service and financial stability. As a result, in 1957, Estes Express Lines celebrated its first million-dollar year. His father passed away in 1971, at which point he became president. He continued in his father's footsteps with the steadfast requirement for top-quality customer service, and he grew the company significantly in the ‘70s and ‘80s through acquisitions and expansion. By the time Robey turned over the presidency to his son Rob in 1990, he had built the small, family-owned business into a major East Coast Carrier, and the company had developed a solid reputation for premium service.

He was a long-time active member of Westover Baptist Church, serving several terms as deacon. He was active in various community and transportation associations and served as president of the Virginia Highway Users Association (now the Virginia Trucking Association) from 1973–1975. He was a member of the VHUA Board of Directors from 1956 until his death and served on various VHUA/VTA committees during his 50 years of service, often acting as chairman. He also served as Vice President at Large for the American Trucking Association from 1980 until 1997. In 2003, he received Ernst & Young's Virginia Lifetime Achievement Entrepreneur of the Year Award for commitment to both business and community.

"Mr. Robey was a pioneer who helped lead the growth of the trucking industry in Virginia and throughout the country. He was a leader viewed by his peers in the trucking industry and the business community as one of the most respected and most successful businessmen in the state," said Dale Bennett, executive vice president of the Virginia Trucking Association. "He was such a fixture in the industry that even politicians who didn't share his views respected and sought his advice."

His passion for the transportation industry and the people who made it run was clearly reflected in his persona. "He had a real impact on everyone. He was genuine and personable even to people he had just met," said Vice President of Corporate Operations J.T. Johnson.

"He was the leader of this company for a long time," said Chief Operating Officer Billy Hupp. "He had great strength. The loyalty and dedication his employees felt toward him were driving forces at Estes Express Lines."

Last I heard Rob was still a member at Westover Baptist but either way our founder Robey built his company on The Rock in whom he trusted, Jesus Christ, and his son Rob has made no secret about his faith being the same in several of our newsletters.