SAIA | Open door policy?

bigbuck

TB Regular
Credits
I'd like a bit of advice, so feel free here...I had a question/issue that my boss could not quite answer to my satisfaction. I called someone in HR do further info/guidance. When my boss caught wind of me talking to someone higher up the food chain I was told to never do that again...

So if Saia has an open door policy and I used it then got yelled at because of it, what am I supposed to do? Thanks for your insights...

It is my opinion that your manager is wrong. If you followed the proper steps, which it appears you did, then he should have nothing to say. Maybe he should have dealt with the situation differently. If you feel like you need to talk to someone about it, I would suggest that you pose the same question you asked us to your HR department and see what they say. You could do it anonymously if you feel more comfortable. They will probably tell you that they encourage you to speak to them with issues, but you should in turn ask them why you are reprimanded for doing so. Sounds like they need to send a memo to the managers and tell them their is an open door policy for a reason and not to discourage its use. It beats fighting with a union right?

A few of my co-workers and I worked at Saia for a brief time, and the only open policy that I knew they had was, there's the door, and don't it hit you on the way out to your next job. You get no write ups, warnings, suspensions, and a reason on why you were let go. HR is a Joke, and if your Manager doesn't like you, you we be on his radar, especially if you go above him to Hr.

I deal with issues on the local level, then work up. In the end you are not wrong, but I go in steps if I have an issue. Always worked for me.

Demolition Man is right. Keep it local if you can. However,your boss is wrong. He may think that he is God, but he is wrong there too. I bet he got an e-mail, copied to his boss and several others, requesting information as to your issue and what is his action plan to correct the problem. If you really want to jack him up, send your boss an e-mail, copied to his boss and HR, stating that your boss demanded that you never go up the line again. Be sure and stand back because Saia world is going to drop on his head. The suits at Saia have committed to an open door policy in order to help keep the unions out and they will not tolerate anything that potentially could open a crack in the wall. I hate managers/bosses like that.

I followed all procedures to the letter as outlined in the employee manual. But, I guess when you do that there is one bad egg that will hold it against you. It dawned on me this morning...I looked at my employee badge and next to my name was my employee number. I guess in the end, I am just a number and the open door policy is just a bunch of empty words

Just because the door is open doesn't mean they want company lol . I wouldn't call HR unless it was something that I would leave over just my opinion.