ABF | Oregon Road Drivers laid off!

Should those drivers wait to be called back sitting on UI or move on to another trucking company. This layoff is complete b.s
If it were me, I would wait a bit before I jumped ship. No one else pays for your healthcare and pension except for Yellow. And who knows what is going to happen to them. Hopefully, they can still get enough trips to keep their healthcare paid for. Besides, most of the other carriers are laying off as well. Good Luck to all, and hopefully the layoffs end soon and everyone can get back to work!!!

If it were me, I would wait a bit before I jumped ship. No one else pays for your healthcare and pension except for Yellow. And who knows what is going to happen to them. Hopefully, they can still get enough trips to keep their healthcare paid for. Besides, most of the other carriers are laying off as well. Good Luck to all, and hopefully the layoffs end soon and everyone can get back to work!!!
Heard of any layoffs at 004 yet? It's Jason from the dock.

Heard of any layoffs at 004 yet? It's Jason from the dock.
When we talked to Rick and Pat Friday, they said “no layoffs at this time”.
Rick said there were two or three still to be interviewed for the city/Dock.
I think the Road has froze any hiring at the moment, but no layoffs.
Of course, that can all change with one call from the Fort!!!
Good to see you on here brother!!!

When we talked to Rick and Pat Friday, they said “no layoffs at this time”.
Rick said there were two or three still to be interviewed for the city/Dock.
I think the Road has froze any hiring at the moment, but no layoffs.
Of course, that can all change with one call from the Fort!!!
Good to see you on here brother!!!
Thanks for all of the info, I've been lurking on here for several years just never posted before. See you tomorrow afternoon!!

DC's and break bulks are exempt from layoff. Road and end if line terminals are being hit. They don't want any bottlenecks at the DC's.
This way the EOL's can field all the late delivery calls. Then the bulk and the fort will look like well-oiled machines, for entertaining new customers!!!

SLC drivers being dispatched doing runs normally done by extraboard to the west coast terminals. Grievances filed with local BA. 10 in 9 days which says the laid off road driver must be put back on the loadboard.

SLC drivers being dispatched doing runs normally done by extraboard to the west coast terminals. Grievances filed with local BA. 10 in 9 days which says the laid off road driver must be put back on the loadboard.
How clever! They get a SLC extra board driver to do a turn or 2 out of 635 and then go home for no extra layover penalty money with that damned 4th dispatch they forced in last contract. The freight must be slow coming out of 145/141/146 so they don't have to pay SLC for the extended layover in 635 waiting for freight. All this BS just to keep SLC drivers off the clock for a couple of hrs. That laid off driver will cost them when this gets settled at grievance. They used to do that all the time out of 490 when we were there, but there were no drivers on layoff. It hangs up the eastbnd freight sometimes in 635 waiting for drivers to get rested from their turns, but it saves on layover penalty pay. They have had trouble keeping drivers in 635 and now they pull this? They were offering $10,000 sign on bonuses there a few years ago. I'm glad Tim is filing on this. Thanks for the update.

Word on these streets is they are calling back drivers. Not official on this end yet. Not sure if I will go back since accepting an offer from a fedex ground contractor with set route, 5 on 58 hrs off. 9 hour days from start to finish.

Where did you work? Thanks for updating me on this. Good luck to you on whatever you decide to do. Think it through carefully. Put a pencil to it and look at it all on paper, show your family what it looks like and include them, then decide and don't look back... It might be useful to know ABF will rehire you if you wanted to come back. They did to a driver in Pendleton that went to FedEx freight in Boise so she could be home with her kids more. But she quit again, I heard, so she may have poisoned the well. They completely rehired me as a casual after I retired and realized I needed the insurance for a couple of more years when the retiree insurance became too expensive in a little over a year's time. They claimed it was because the pool was too small and 4 people maxed out their 1 million dollar coverage. Didn't see that coming... I was damn grateful for that. If you worked out of Portland, I don't blame you. Those 14 hr days nearly killed me when they sent me on a turn or 2 as a casual when I got to Portland. You needed to be tough SOB to put up with I-5 traffic and the 14 hr turns. I hated the double Eugenes with triples with a passion. And you were guaranteed to hit heavy commute traffic when you were exhausted coming back the last time. I did enjoy running out US 30 to Longview to miss the afternoon commute in Portland when I went north on a turn though.

Last edited:
635. Layoff left a sour taste. Worked my ass off for nothing it seems like when it all came down to it. Extraboard is rough on the sleep cycle. Always felt my head was in a fishbowl. Days off sucked because I was so burned out. Money isn't everything and in this case. I no longer live to work but work to live. I will make up the 600 dollars a month in less pay by saving 400 in gas going to and from 635.