FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aspen,CO.(People Magazine)
Big Dave and K /••\ spending New Years at ski lodge!
Kim and Kanye, along with children Booger West, South East, and Granola North were seen on the slopes of Aspen using Big Dave’s hat as a tabogan. Dave was seen in the resorts bar enjoying several, tall Dews, and Captain Morgan’s!!!

FMCSA Says Trucks Can Use Cameras Instead Of Rear-View Mirrors

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/t...-can-use-cameras-instead-of-rear-view-mirrors

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has reached a decision on Stoneridge, Inc.’s (NYSE: SRI) application for an exemption to rules governing “Parts and Accessories Necessary for Safe Operation.” The regulatory body granted Stoneridge a five year exemption to install its camera monitoring system on trucks in lieu of two rear-view mirrors, finding that “use of the MirrorEye system in lieu of mirrors would likely achieve a level of safety equivalent to or greater than the level of safety provided by the regulation.”

And FXFE is already testing said cameras...

PjOfm6w.jpg

mvCI6ft.jpg

QMgJN5l.jpg

vmaJ4VU.jpg
And when they fail? Not if, but when.

"The company said “MirrorEye” uses integrated external digital cameras and digital monitors inside the cab. That provides an expanded field of view, full-color night vision, and the ability to continuously track the end of the trailer."
https://www.fleetowner.com/safety/f...m=email&elq2=eb072fddf2dd47f5a817b3db689bb21e

While they will have some benefits, the learning curve will be... uh, challenging. Not sure about the rest of the class, but I'm not all that comfortable trusting the accuracy of cameras on the car, beyond using to verify what I already think I see. Trusting them on a truck? I'm definitely not there yet.

"The company said “MirrorEye” uses integrated external digital cameras and digital monitors inside the cab. That provides an expanded field of view, full-color night vision, and the ability to continuously track the end of the trailer."
https://www.fleetowner.com/safety/f...m=email&elq2=eb072fddf2dd47f5a817b3db689bb21e

While they will have some benefits, the learning curve will be... uh, challenging. Not sure about the rest of the class, but I'm not all that comfortable trusting the accuracy of cameras on the car, beyond using to verify what I already think I see. Trusting them on a truck? I'm definitely not there yet.
It says you will be able to track the end of the trailer better. Don’t understand why you need to worry about the back end, unless you are backing up?

According to those who have tested them, the consensus is they’re not that bad moving forward but they’re useless when backing due to the loss of depth perception.
Without having testing them myself, I’m already questioning their usability during inclement weather...I know the backup camera on my personal vehicle is useless in the rain, why would these be any different??

According to those who have tested them, the consensus is they’re not that bad moving forward but they’re useless when backing due to the loss of depth perception.
Without having testing them myself, I’m already questioning their usability during inclement weather...I know the backup camera on my personal vehicle is useless in the rain, why would these be any different??

Best use for my camera is hooking to a trailer, keeps me from getting in and out.
Like you say, useless in the rain.

Does anyone developing these systems have any common sense? Is there a single motivating factor in any of these technologies besides the race to eliminate us - the drivers?

I love a shiny, high resolution monitor just as much as the next guy, but there are limitations that that we still haven’t come close to overcoming that will inhibit any safe roll out of these systems.

1) Failures. We all know that every electronic system on a big truck fails eventually. Failures in these will kill someone.

2) Lag time. Even the most expensive and advanced systems have some lag associated with them. I’m not willing to delay what I’m seeing or reacting to while dancing in heavy traffic by a single millisecond. My reactions can save lives. Don’t make me lag!!!

3) Night vision? The optics can’t show me what I need with the reaction to random variable lighting exposure. If I’m watching my mirrors at night and I lose my trailer lights, how am I going to catch the infinitesimal red glow on the sides of my trailers as the cameras and monitors adjust repeatedly to passing motorists?

Also, think about someone flipping the lights on when troops are patrolling with night vision. Boom - blinded! No thanks.

4) Light pollution. How many of you have struggled with a single glowing button at night? Haven’t we all broke out the electrical tape to keep a glowing indicator from glaring on the windshield? Why do we do this? Because when driving at night, a good driver keeps all lighting as dim as possible so their eyes can adjust to the darkness that’s going on down the road in front of us. Display screens don’t reflect light - they produce it! These screens are bathing the driver with generated lighting from how many screens? How are we supposed to see what’s on the road ahead? How about in fog? Rain? Snow? Ice build up? Are they heated? Are they adjustable?

I move about in the seat to widen my view through the mirror to the next lane over, if need be. Can the cameras do that?

5) Perceptions and reality. Would any of you rather shave or comb your hair on camera than in a mirror? Have any of you tried it? Anyone? It’s not natural. It’s not right. It just doesn’t work well. The powers that be need to stop viewing driving as dumb, unskilled labor and realize what a high level of finesse a veteran driver actually operates with. Close enough isn’t good enough.

I just read an interesting report stating how many billions of dollars that the industry will make when they are able to eliminate us, the driver.

I’m sure that will be great, but in the meantime, how about parking the pipe dream and allowing us to continue to function safely and professionally using our experience and training to keep making you the money you are currently spending to replace us?

On a side note, you can’t attract anyone to do this job, because you want to eliminate the need for drivers! The shortage will only be compounded by forcing the best of us out the door as we refuse to operate with systems that are increasingly unsafe as the race to autonomy continues.

It says you will be able to track the end of the trailer better. Don’t understand why you need to worry about the back end, unless you are backing up?
And I have to wonder, what exactly will the center monitor show? The road behind a "linked" trailer, which also has a camera or 3?

And as truckingBORED said, how much monitor light can we really tolerate?
:popcorn:

QMgJN5l.jpg

Last edited:
Split screen? Instant replay? Maybe fast forward?

I always calibrate my screens. Warm light, not too sharp, you gotta have the right contrast settings...

What tech is being considered?

I’m sure they’ll be going with 4K OLED screens for the great brightness and viewing angles!

Changes at Walmart helps bring in more truckers

https://www.fleetowner.com/driver-m...m=email&elq2=c86ce9195aee41e49d3037b8bfd78e28

"A recently published article provided additional insight to the steps Walmart is taking to find drivers, who must have at least 30 months of safe driving experience.

For example, Walmart has shortened the application time to 31 days from 73 days, and changed the format of its hiring events."

"A first-year driver can expect to make $86,000 driving for Walmart, or the equivalent of $0.87 per mile. The retailer also offers quarterly safe driving bonuses, benefits, and doesn't make its drivers load or unload freight. They can also accrue up to 21 paid days of vacation."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/walmart-successfully-recruited-truck-drivers-122937062.html

What they don't tell you, is how they went from among the "employers of choice" to not so much... Hence the needed changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.