R&L | Our Billing Dept is costing us THOUSANDS $$$$$$$$

braceface

TB Regular
Credits
10 skids (non double stackable) from New York to Tennessee, the revenue for this shipment was $110.00.

After I got the billing error fixed, revenue was $614.00

6 skids from New York to Tennesse, the revenue for this shipment was $110.00.

After I got the billing error fixed, the revenue for this shipment was $429.00

This is happening all the time, and I imagine all over the country, costing the company THOUSANDS...

The same thing happened with the same shipper several months ago, where we were charging $ 55.00 for 10 skids from New York to Tennessee.. I see billing errors almost daily, and I also see freight that obviously weighs more than it is being billed for..

Anyway, we all need to be looking at our bills and or manifests to see what the freight is paying, if it is apparently wrong, we need to get it fixed. We need to get the company the correct amount of money for hauling this freight..

We need to do this to keep our jobs secure....

I am very surprised that the company has not put more of an emphasis on this problem....R&L needs to check out the billing dept...:1036316054:

Are part of these errors due to the scanner in the truck cutting off the last digit in the weight column if it's close to the edge of the page?

Are part of these errors due to the scanner in the truck cutting off the last digit in the weight column if it's close to the edge of the page?

Not in this particular case... The billing clerk billed it by weight, and not by the amount of skids...The weight on these shipments was low, only a couple of thousand pounds for each shipment.. The freight was plastic bottles which is very light, but took up a bunch of space...

The billers also billed the freight as "No description Given"

We also have a problem with the scanner cutting off the last digit of the weight, I have found many errors regarding this also...

The company is losing lots of money, and its an easy fix...

AGREED! I check my bills every day. I call in first thing in AM and get them corrected so by the time it goes OFD the customer did not even know it was incorrectly billed. You guys need to make sure that the descriptions are on the bills of lading. If the customer is just putting their item #s and not an actual description then they ( the customer) need to write it on the b/l for you. If we all did this everyday ( drivers and sales) we would be making more money!

Thanks!!! I think its job security to get the company the revenue they are entitled to get..

I agree,however they really need to be looking into this instead of figuring out new ways to take away from the employees.Good chance there are huge amounts of money missing due to billing errors.

I can say one thing the Bill dept does make alot of mistakes see alot of them on my bills.We just have to do what we can to fix thing that we see if we can

The first and best chance to make sure the BOL is correct is at the time of pick-up by the driver. If it is a poor description, have the shipper correct it. A BOL is a legal document and by DOT regulations and needs to be filled out thoroughly...........and that is with a proper description!!!

When someone calls to get a bill corrected does anyone follow-up with the origin term? If so how is this follow-up done?

Whether the origin or destination terminal corrects the bill, I do not think that f/u is done. Only when the terms need to be corrected: ppd, col or 3rd pty. If we need a corrected bill for the right billing terms. If the bill of lading is incorrect the sales dept is sent a copy for f/u with the customer. In our monthly drivers meetings I stress this to our drivers that they need to make sure the customer is putting the correct description on the b/l at time of pick up.If everyone everyday did this it would reduce our billing errors and also show our customers that we are a proactive company.

If I get a collect ,where the price is on it and it seems low I call billing. I have no idea how much money we lose on pre-paid stuff that doesn't show the price to me.

make sure bol's are filled out legibly, if possible have the shipper write the consignee's phone number on bol. It really helps if the biller mis-types an address you can call the consignee to verify his address before leaving out in the morning

If I get a collect ,where the price is on it and it seems low I call billing. I have no idea how much money we lose on pre-paid stuff that doesn't show the price to me.

There is a way to find out out what pre-paid bills are paying..Look down at the bottom left of the bill..There are usually numbers and letters that run together. It might say something like W10334A.. This means that the company is getting $103.34.

If you look towards the bottom middle part of the bill, it will say something like W5167A. This mean that your terminal is getting $51.67.

I don't have a clue what the letters stand for...Sometimes there are no numbers at all, and it just says WOA, I don't have a clue what this stands for.

One way you can find out what everything on your trailer is paying, is to look at the manifest the dock uses to load your trailer, the revenue is on this manifest..

Hope this helps...