FedEx Freight | Our Deeply FLawed Pay Scales (GPD)

In my 7yrs there, I averaged right at 4hrs of OT a week.
Current pay scale puts that driver at about $55k a year.

The LOWEST bid run at our terminal started out at $83k yr, and you could walk right off the street and have it.
So you were working 44 hours per week and in your bed at night. Road driver's work 60 -70 hours per week at night. Doh!

The LOWEST bid run at our terminal started out at $83k yr, and you could walk right off the street and have it.
So you were working 44 hours per week and in your bed at night. Road driver's work 60 -70 hours per week at night. Doh!

And there are just as many day runs, as night. On top of that, 60-70 is on the VERY high side of hours served by Road Drivers. Most are 10hrs or less.
Running at night USED to pay a premium, when that was the only option.
Times change.
Fx can adapt, and pay what drivers a modern rate, ot they can go the way of YRC, and treat drivers as a liability, rather than an asset.
Proof is out there. The jobs are available, but no one is taking them. This is not 2009, the economy is steamroling, and unemployment is below 5%. Basically everyone who wants a job, has one. If Fx wants to get and retain young talent, for the long haul, they better wake up. A decade ago, FxF had a pile of applications to cherry pick from at any given time. Now, they have positions that go unfilled, freight dosent get ran on time, customer service suffers, Old Dominion is salivating at FX's unfulfilled commitments.

Last edited:

Ok, at my yard, a city driver working 44 hours a week would make $69,962 per year.
Our shortest line run is a 314 mi turn which equates to a 7.5 hour day (55mph state and hourly employee) that 37.5 hour week pays the road driver $70,434 annually. Keep in mind that said jr road driver spent some time on the extra board sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring.
Extra board road drivers are not allowed to come in and work the dock when it is slow at my yard.
I’m not seeing this huge disparity in wages for hours worked by the two groups.
Wage figures used were $28.83 for local and $36.12 for road.
Road drivers do not get time and a half beyond 8hrs per day or 40hrs per week.

And there are just as many day runs, as night. On top of that, 60-70 is on the VERY high side of hours served by Road Drivers. Most are 10hrs or less.
Running at night USED to pay a premium, when that was the only option.
Times change.
Fx can adapt, and pay what drivers a modern rate, ot they can go the way of YRC, and treat drivers as a liability, rather than an asset.
Proof is out there. The jobs are available, but no one is taking them. This is not 2009, the economy is steamroling, and unemployment is below 5%. Basically everyone who wants a job, has one. If Fx wants to get and retain young talent, for the long haul, they better wake up. A decade ago, FxF had a pile of applications to cherry pick from at any given time. Now, they have positions that go unfilled, freight dosent get ran on time, customer service suffers, Old Dominion is salivating at FX's unfulfilled commitments.
You're trying to make it sound like half the jobs in the company are vacant. Not so. Are there jobs unfilled? Of course. Typical in any economic boom. While I do think there will be adjustments to pay to remedy this, to compare us to YRC is absurd.

Not a problem for me either, but in the scenario red proposed it would be for those guys.
I could deal with it. Kids are grown. Golf season here is 7 months. Whitetail is 4. Honey do season is 12 months. And I always take a snow-cation at some point to rearrange the nerves. Vacation better than sign on bonus IMO.

Ok, at my yard, a city driver working 44 hours a week would make $69,962 per year.
Our shortest line run is a 314 mi turn which equates to a 7.5 hour day (55mph state and hourly employee) that 37.5 hour week pays the road driver $70,434 annually. Keep in mind that said jr road driver spent some time on the extra board sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring.
Extra board road drivers are not allowed to come in and work the dock when it is slow at my yard.
I’m not seeing this huge disparity in wages for hours worked by the two groups.
Wage figures used were $28.83 for local and $36.12 for road.
Road drivers do not get time and a half beyond 8hrs per day or 40hrs per week.
Like you said "At MY yard"
I'm talking about an overall average, company wide, the pay gap between Road and City is quite wide.

I've never been one to say "City guys should get equal pay, because they work harder, and all a road driver does is hold the wheel"

I think a road driver deserves every bit, if not more, of their salary..... But I think city guys deserve it just as well.

Like you said "At MY yard"
I'm talking about an overall average, company wide, the pay gap between Road and City is quite wide.

I've never been one to say "City guys should get equal pay, because they work harder, and all a road driver does is hold the wheel"

I think a road driver deserves every bit, if not more, of their salary..... But I think city guys deserve it just as well.
Same would hold true for the same number of hours worked by City and Road anywhere in my state. But, I guess I thought most semi intelligent people would have been able to understand that. Am I typing too fast for you?

PERHAPS I SHOULD SHOUT

Same would hold true for the same number of hours worked by City and Road anywhere in my state. But, I guess I thought most semi intelligent people would have been able to understand that. Am I typing too fast for you?

PERHAPS I SHOULD SHOUT
I'm not sure what part is confusing to you.
Is it the math?

First off, the OTHER 47 of the lower 48 states do NOT adhere to that pay.

Let's try this:

Take ALL the RDs, nationwide, add their yearly income...
Take ALL the CDs, nationwide, add their yearly income...
Now, average the 2. The RD's average pay is a solid 21% higher than the average CD's pay. That's national AVERAGE.

As to your other arguement, you're entertaining hypotheticals. "IF a city driver worked xx hours...." Well, they dont. Average day's work is 8.7hrs for city drivers.
So, let's entertain your state...
... using YOUR state's pay rate, in a 10hr day, a road driver makes a hair over $30 more a day, or $150 extra a week/$600 a month.
Or, another way, a CD has to work 11hrs to make what a RD does in 10.
That's a big gap.

CD makes $331.5 in 10hrs
RD makes $361.2 in the same time. It's not until the 12th hour that the CD starts to gain ground, and the 12hr days in the city are VERY rare.

And again, I'm not saying the RDs dont deserve that pay. They do.
However, the CD deserves it just as well.

Last edited:
Is it the math?

Let's try this:

Now, average the 2. The RD's average pay is a solid 21% higher than the average CD's pay. That's national AVERAGE.

As to your other arguement, you're entertaining hypotheticals. "IF a city driver worked xx hours...." Well, they dont. Average day's work is 8.7hrs for city drivers.
... using YOUR state's pay rate, in a 10hr day, a road driver makes a hair over $30 more a day, or $150 extra a week/$600 a month.
That's a big gap.

CD makes $331.5 in 10hrs
RD makes $361.2 in the same time. It's not until the 12th hour that the CD starts to gain ground, and the 12hr days in the city are VERY rare.

So if the city driver would make the same wage as the road driver,
why would anyone sign up to work nights, be a glorified forklift driver and so forth. It would appear that market dynamics might be driving this. You set the compensation level sufficiently high enough to fill your vacancies with qualified individuals. Hence the disparity in income.
You keep this up your head might explode.

So if the city driver would make the same wage as the road driver,
why would anyone sign up to work nights, be a glorified forklift driver and so forth. It would appear that market dynamics might be driving this. You set the compensation level sufficiently high enough to fill your vacancies with qualified individuals. Hence the disparity in income.
You keep this up your head might explode.
So, your original argument that a CD makes just as much as a road driver didnt hold water, so you crawfish on that, and resort to job title Vs actual tasks..

Allright,well maybe you can regail us with a "Back in my time" story from Viking.
Ooh, tell us the one about placing Smudge pots! That's a real nail biter!

So, your original argument that a CD makes just as much as a road driver didnt hold water, so you crawfish on that, and resort to job title Vs actual tasks..

Allright,well maybe you can regail us with a "Back in my time" story from Viking.

Some places city does make as much as road, but I wouldn't say that is common. My average day is 10-11 hours in city.

Is it the math?

Let's try this:

That's a big gap.

CD makes $331.5 in 10hrs

Ok, Moobs, you left out one figure.
How many hours a day does the average road driver work?

Back in the day, Dick paused in the middle of his 21 stop per day food service route and reflected on life, its challenges and rewards. This particular week had been a little hard on his 35 year old body as it had been 105° or better every day and that 18,000 of case goods and bags of flour wasn’t going to unload itself.
So he looked around and talked to some people. One of them, Bud Palush, was a line driver out of Reno. So Dick became a system slut for Viking Freight.
Dick put two kids through college and bought a nice house and paid it off. Dick didn’t buy a lot of toys and paid cash for his vehicles. Dick also never coveted his coworkers Mon-Fri day jobs because Dick knew where the money was. The money was working 60 hours or more a week and not being home every night.

Also, Dick never worked in a citrus orchard so never had any experience with smudge pots.

So Moobs, Dick has one last parting thought for you.

GFY

Back in the day, Dick paused in the middle of his 21 stop per day food service route and reflected on life, its challenges and rewards. This particular week had been a little hard on his 35 year old body as it had been 105° or better every day and that 18,000 of case goods and bags of flour wasn’t going to unload itself.
So he looked around and talked to some people. One of them, Bud Palush, was a line driver out of Reno. So Dick became a system slut for Viking Freight.
Dick put two kids through college and bought a nice house and paid it off. Dick didn’t buy a lot of toys and paid cash for his vehicles. Dick also never coveted his coworkers Mon-Fri day jobs because Dick knew where the money was. The money was working 60 hours or more a week and not being home every night.

Also, Dick never worked in a citrus orchard so never had any experience with smudge pots.

So Moobs, Dick has one last parting thought for you.

GFY
So, overall, your big finish is that you worked hard for some time.

Well, whooptie ****in do.
You, and billions of others. You overestimate your accomplishments.

Hang tight, I'll compose a paragraph about all the trials and tribulations my grandparents went through during the depression, because that's about as relevant to this discussion as you not buying "toys", or your paid off house that no one gives a ::shit:: about.

Last edited:
So, overall, your big finish is that you worked hard for some time.

Well, whooptie ****in do.
You, and billions of others. You overestimate your accomplishments.

Hang tight, I'll compose a paragraph about all the trials and tribulations my grandparents went through during the depression, because that's about as relevant to this discussion as you not buying "toys", or your paid off house that no one gives a :::shit::: about.
That’s called being cheap, on the upside when he dies a bazillionaire his kids will have fun spending his money