1. We have the Facebook and Twitter going again. We would appeciate a like or follow.

TRUCKING Owner Operator

Discussion in 'The Drivers Lounge' started by BumpDraft, Aug 24, 2019.

1. BumpDraft

BumpDraft Active Member

I thought about jumping ship to be a Owner operator, but after sitting down with my girlfriend and going over numbers every which way possible, I just don't see how it's worth it. My girlfriend is a logistics coordinator and we had tons of work lined up, but even with low personal debt the cost of fuel, maintenance ETC ETC is just outrageous. Your lucky to net 55,000 , 60,000 a year after all expenses are paid.

othertrucker2001 likes this.
  2. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY Construction Zone Mirror Expert

Driver Since:
    $55-60 after expenses? Better recheck those figures. I hear owner ops talking at different places and they say some loads are paying like a $1.30 a mile. Those types of rates are 20 years old.

3. 00mustang

00mustang NO LTL 4 ME CAR HAUL ONLY

Driver Since:
    I thinking more older than that, remember in mid 70's if it didn'tpay a buck a mile it wasn't worth hauling

Ted Decker trk, DCM_Doc and BIG R GUY like this.
  4. BIG R GUY

Driver Since:
    And say run 294 East,to 80-94 East, to 76, to Philly = all toll
    Maybe blow a tire,with a road service call
    Don’t forget your yearly Federal Road Use Tax
    Quarterly estimated income tax
    $3,000.00 IRP plate
    Oops. 2 hours late for your delivery appt in Philly. Next appt available; 1300 Monday. Have a nice weekend out there. Maybe some Facetime with the girlfriend?

Ted Decker trk and 00mustang like this.
  5. 00mustang

Driver Since:
    But he has a placard load so 76 is out which will save him some money to buy that cheap breakfast at Snowshoe since he can't go thru the tubes

6. BIG R GUY

Driver Since:
    Waffle House?

00mustang likes this.
  7. 00mustang

Driver Since:
    yep

8. BumpDraft

BumpDraft Active Member

I don't have to recheck my figures, they are based on my expenses not everyone else's. The only pro's I see to me being a owner operator is I can turn down a load.

9. BIG R GUY

Driver Since:
    The expenses I named,are, what every o/o will incur, and that is not even everything. The untimely, unforeseen ones are the ones that get you. Did it 10 years until 1985. Was pretty good until deregulation, and many freight rates, especially truckload will decline anytime the economy slows down. Good luck...

10. othertrucker2001

othertrucker2001 Living from direct deposit to direct deposit.

Driver Since:
    And you can make that driving for somebody else, without the headaches.

White, 00mustang and pro1driver like this.
  11. canaryinthemine

canaryinthemine Retirement....The Job I Was Born To Have!

Driver Since:
    I did it for 9 years....from '84 to '93.......Got out of it when fuel went over $1.10 a gallon. My "break even" point was $.85 a mile....After that,...all money was profit......
    Last two years,.....I only hit a couple days a month when my profits exceeded $.85 a mile......

It seemed that large truckload carriers were undercutting many smaller O/Os for loads out of..."undesirable" areas......I had a good deal with loads into Manhattan and surrounding NYC out of the Midwest......and marginal-paying backhauls out of Jersey that covered my costs.....
    JB, Schneider, and other large box carriers started offering shippers discounts as low as $.75 a mile just to get their drivers out of the NY Metro area for the weekend. Upshot was that all the shippers started holding their loads from Wednesday on.....to get the "discount".....

One other thing........Run it like a business.......Too many guys think that being an O/O means Big Hammer, Large Chrome Pipes, Roaring Jake Brake, Shiny Wheels..........
    ....and then they cut rates so bad, they can't afford skirting for the broke-down mobile home they (sometimes..) live in.......

Have no clue what they're making per (hub) mile........But, Man! Listen to those Straight Pipes!

Don't be like that.........95% of truck drivers are hard-working bill-payers,.....and 5% are still little boys playing trucks in the sandbox........cutting rates just to roll the wheels......

12. White

White Straight’nin the curves, flat’nin the hills

Twice that. M-F. Sleeping in my bed everyday.

13. Ted Decker trk

Ted Decker trk When things are FUBAR, FIDO!

Driver Since:
    1987 (legally)
    Hate to jump in the negative band wagon but I've always wanted to own my own truck. Third generation driver, lots of experience and resources to draw on but I could never set down and put together a case for owning my own. Always comes out better in terms of risk/reward as a company driver. I know guys that have been very successful as O/O's but the intangibles of home life, kids, marriage etc always tipped the scale towards a company gig. More power to you if you can make it work for you. Just jump with your eyes wide open and have Plan A,B,C...etc., etc. to handle things you haven't foreseen .