Estes | Pay

GyroGearLoose

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm a new hire as a Utility Driver and I've noticed on my pay stub that when I'm in the city I'm at the current wage for new drivers but when I work the dock, I'm at a lower wage like three dollars less. Is this standard procedure? I've never heard of anything like this. If this the case, I'll be looking somewhere else.

I'm a new hire as a Utility Driver and I've noticed on my pay stub that when I'm in the city I'm at the current wage for new drivers but when I work the dock, I'm at a lower wage like three dollars less. Is this standard procedure? I've never heard of anything like this. If this the case, I'll be looking somewhere else.
You get paid for the job you do. You'll start on the bottom at every ltl outfit.

You get paid for the job you do. You'll start on the bottom at every ltl outfit.

I've worked at other LTL companies and when I clocked to the dock if there's no in the city work, my pay always stayed the same. I'm at 17.95 now as a new hire (Utility Driver) but working at a reduced 14.80 per hour on the dock. Shouldn't it remain at 17.95 no matter in the city or dock?

I've worked at other LTL companies and when I clocked to the dock if there's no in the city work, my pay always stayed the same. I'm at 17.95 now as a new hire (Utility Driver) but working at a reduced 14.80 per hour on the dock. Shouldn't it remain at 17.95 no matter in the city or dock?
Talk to your TM about it. He might work something out. Our clock has 3 different punch in options. P&d, dock and yard truck. When things pick up, you probably won't sit on a lift

I had the option to hire on as utility. My tm told me that I got paid for what I did. Dock work paid dock wages. City work paid city wages. Etc...

When I worked utility, I would go in on Saturday or Sunday and get lost.( I'd be in Laredo sometimes filling in for a schedule all week to Temple and back) I told central I didn't mind staying out till the cows came home. (especially in the winter months because I didn't want to deal with dock, city, yard truck or sitting at home). I made more money on utility than any other position at big E. Even when I was on extraboard. I tried to drive a forklift once or twice. I'm not very good at it. I'm always told not to give up my truck driving job when on a lift,. I'll take that advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee another New employee that was not informed how things are at the Big E, well you have all different categories, everyones pay is different, and yes you should start somewhere else, this comes from someone that has been here for over 11 years and yes I think about leaving myself, but I have Kids, wife, etc. and if I would have known how this would have went down I would have started somewhere else 11 years ago where your time at a company mattered. Dayton, Fed EX, Ups, Holland, etc. take your pic.

Gee another New employee that was not informed how things are at the Big E, well you have all different categories, everyones pay is different, and yes you should start somewhere else, this comes from someone that has been here for over 11 years and yes I think about leaving myself, but I have Kids, wife, etc. and if I would have known how this would have went down I would have started somewhere else 11 years ago where your time at a company mattered. Dayton, Fed EX, Ups, Holland, etc. take your pic.

I sure wish you'd go somewhere else. We all get how much you hate it here, so there's no reason to repeat it in EVERY F*CKING POST. Nobody here sympathises with you. If you hate it here so much, then do something about it or stfu.

I sure wish you'd go somewhere else. We all get how much you hate it here, so there's no reason to repeat it in EVERY F*CKING POST. Nobody here sympathises with you. If you hate it here so much, then do something about it or stfu.

Cant really blame flyingby for venting occasionally what with all of the bumping on bids , transfers from other terminals and a completely screwed up seniority process. Depending on where you are you may have to bid against an entire region now. You would be wrong not to be watching out for a better opportunity .

Overall, I can't complain too much. I'm very appreciative of my new job here and the good outweighs the bad. Its a good company to work for and I like the environment here with the drivers, dockworkers, shop and staff. I can stick it out until freight levels pickup once again.

i couldnt say it better myelf.

welcome to estes!this is like no other ltl company you have ever worked for or will ever work for again!

Cant really blame flyingby for venting occasionally what with all of the bumping on bids , transfers from other terminals and a completely screwed up seniority process. Depending on where you are you may have to bid against an entire region now. You would be wrong not to be watching out for a better opportunity .

Occasionally? Get real.

Can't say he's not persistent. Lots of drivers here with a scrambled up seniority record. I seldom hear anyone complain but if ya feel the need, go ahead. It's kind of comical. Sorta like Al Bundy rushing over 200 yards and scoring 4 touchdowns in a single game at Polk high.

You should have been in the Teamsters 20 years ago,which it probably still happens, you couldn't get settled in one position in a terminal if you had other terminals close-by.. Bumping went on constantly, because they could... Estes is no different... But it's concentrated on the loss of a run, not just because you can do it... I agree, he should look for another line of work or another company... Enough is happening in this country, he shouldn't be uncomfortable at a place he's not happy... So I too, suggest he move on, because they aren't going to change FOR him...

You should have been in the Teamsters 20 years ago,which it probably still happens, you couldn't get settled in one position in a terminal if you had other terminals close-by.. Bumping went on constantly, because they could... Estes is no different... But it's concentrated on the loss of a run, not just because you can do it... I agree, he should look for another line of work or another company... Enough is happening in this country, he shouldn't be uncomfortable at a place he's not happy... So I too, suggest he move on, because they aren't going to change FOR him...
:biglaugh: The whole company is going to change because one driver don't like some 10 year linehauler going home 30 minutes before him.

:biglaugh: The whole company is going to change because one driver don't like some 10 year linehauler going home 30 minutes before him.

I quit worrying about what other folks do a long time ago... But, you're right, they get there tightie whities in a knot if someone happens to look like they they get the upper-hand on them...

We had this one guy got jealous because me and the number one guy gets three weeks vacation a year... Because he had 12 year freight experience, he thought he deserved the same vacation time as we did.. Some folks just never get it...

I quit worrying about what other folks do a long time ago... But, you're right, they get there tightie whities in a knot if someone happens to look like they they get the upper-hand on them...

We had this one guy got jealous because me and the number one guy gets three weeks vacation a year... Because he had 12 year freight experience, he thought he deserved the same vacation time as we did.. Some folks just never get it...
We had a guy bellyache to the old TM (behind closed doors) because he used to run day and night at other companies and didn't think it was right for him to take a seat behind someone that never had to do their laundry at a truckstop.
That's the main gripe with this company. Someone else getting one more mile or going home 2 minutes earlier than the next guy. I have big money bid runners tell me all the time to watchout on the rebid because they are going to take my run. I practically dare them. Who wants to run 600 plus every night? People run it because they have to.
If they grab my run, I'll just grab another but they won't sleep at night knowing my sorry ass is running a run they could be running. I'm just a few months from entering the completely debt free world. If I'm running a big money run, it's only because it was all that was left when it got to my turn.

We had a guy bellyache to the old TM (behind closed doors) because he used to run day and night at other companies and didn't think it was right for him to take a seat behind someone that never had to do their laundry at a truckstop.
That's the main gripe with this company. Someone else getting one more mile or going home 2 minutes earlier than the next guy. I have big money bid runners tell me all the time to watchout on the rebid because they are going to take my run. I practically dare them. Who wants to run 600 plus every night? People run it because they have to.
If they grab my run, I'll just grab another but they won't sleep at night knowing my sorry ass is running a run they could be running. I'm just a few months from entering the completely debt free world. If I'm running a big money run, it's only because it was all that was left when it got to my turn.

guard that 600 miler very closley. rumor has it it might not be around long

guard that 600 miler very closley. rumor has it it might not be around long

Hopefully it will be around. It keeps the big timers on the big time runs and I won't feel any pressure on someone bumping me off my little bitty retirement run. Then again, it might create more retirement runs to make up for the loss of one person per distance covered.