FedEx Freight | People First

Some of you seem more interested in what your SCM's doing, than what your doing. It's not Rocket Science, it's Trucking.

You know what you are probably right..

But you know why that is?

SCM's are quick to make sarcastic remarks over and over about drivers without merit..Over and over some of them say things like the road drivers make to much money to whine or the city driver who has to break down 17 pallets into 50 plus at a customers gets asked what took him so long and then gets told he is bringing down production numbers..

In the meantime it appears that some SCM's spend more time finding stupid ::shit:: to nick pick about than fixing the problems..I think SCM's should have to drive the 8 pallet hand unload, without a handtruck, in a non lift gate truck and unload piece by piece and bring up by hand all the merchandise into the highest damn high rise account then have to deliver 10-15 boxes to different floors once up there, because the customer wants you too..and see how friggin long it takes him and then talk about production and numbers and make sarcastic remarks after doing that 1-2 times a week..Oh but wait..they can't cause they are not TRUCK Drivers with Class A CDL licenses. :ranting: :tongue1:

Fed Ex Frt.

princess said:
Oh but wait..they can't cause they are not TRUCK Drivers with Class A CDL licenses.

Many of will rest our case with that comment.

Our ccm couldn't crank up the truck to make a delivery he don't know how. Besides that he might get his kakies and his polo shirt dirty.

gothikpoet said:
Good Grief!! You guys seems to be "REALLY" unhappy. There are several ways to tell the brass what's bugging you. This people first thing is FedEx's way of approaching these problems. You should all participate in the Gallop Survey for staters, the company puts tons of weight on those results. I've seen FedEx make a few expensive changes to make good on concerns expressed from the field. Some of you seem more interested in what your SCM's doing, than what your doing. It's not Rocket Science, it's Trucking.

On a personal note; If you stick your hand in a bucket of water, pull it out real quick, and see how fast it's replaced.

That Gallop Survey asks specific questions that do not have anything to do with what employees really want to say. Do you have a best friend at work. What does that have to do with anything? Why does the survey NOT ask questions like " If you try to fix a problem, do you feel that the company will retaliate against you?" or " Do you guys get written up for the most petty crap, like not parking your unit exactly between the lines" or forgetting to put your belt or ID badge on" Get real....

TwoLane said:
Up here in Upstate NY, when we get those nights where you've been delayed for an hour or 2, then get a VIA, and don't get back to the barn until 10am, we call THAT the The Purple Promise, or being a victim of the people first policy. Does anyone know how many of the 6 business principles are utilized?
I think it some aspects Sheridan would not be happy. I'll never leave, as I love my job, but first you have to realize that FDX cares more about it's image more than anything. As a tennis player once said "IMAGE IS EVERYTHING". Once you accept that, it's all good, just roll with it.

yes the good old "DOUBLE P" you can ussually count on that one to twice a week hehehehe, "PEOPLE FIRST DRIVER" "DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER"

here is the problems with that crappy gallop pole there is no section for you to write out your opinion all the questions and answers are to general the second proble is i doubt that they are anomous because if you noticed when you get the they come in an envelope with your name on it and each one is numbered with a different number last but not least my center has done zero to make things better.:bananapowerslide:

I also thought that was TOTALLY worthless... I wonder what they paid for those STUPID questions....... If they are going to ask our opinion,,, make the questions relavent to us .....

I think my SCM manager is a pretty fair guy, remember he has to answer to people above him the people above him calls the shots and he just follows orders or he will be terminated. When I ask for a planned day off he will see who else is off and if no one else is off he will give me the day off. So over all I think our SCM managers put us first just remember people they have to carry out orders and answer to people above them to see whats going on.

I hope terry s. from harrison is reading all of this, maybe they will get the hint.

SCM's and all

I'm sure that those in the know check out this site.

The problem I have with our scm is that he is a moron. Not in the sense that he can't do his job. I'm sure he uses a VERY sharp pencil in getting things to where they belong. His major contribution to the "team" is dealing with his email and staying in his office. And I guess that's better than having him trying to be a team player in dispatch or running the docks.

I've been at this long enough to need more than two hands to count the number of bosses I've had. We're just waiting for this guy to finally burst a vein and be carried out.
If you look up type A in the dictionary, his picture is next to it. Anal. Micromanager. Paranoid.

And what really tops it all is that he can't handle people. I've heard him talk among his supervisors and he has little more than contempt for the drivers and the office staff. The dock crews are beneath his notice since he treats them like tools. Oh, he makes a point of saying good morning to everyone he sees, and you can see him make a mental check on a list of people he's "interacted with".

He doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the way the other drivers get treated. None of my business, but the drivers here are the "team" they talk so much about. And the things that they get written up on and talked to about are the silly stupid little nit-picky crap that does nothing but cause ill will without really accomplishing anything to either help the driver or the company.

The survey? Please. Loaded questions. Asked more than once in different terms. Nothing ever changes, because when it comes down to push come to shove, the pat answer is, "you should be happy you have a job, if you don't like it, leave", which is the answer people give when they have nothing more to say, and a clear indication that the conversation is over.

I do what I do the best way I know how to do it. So far, I'm good. I try to tell other guys to just put a sock in it, all they're doing is poking the beast.

It's apparent that FedEx wants nothing more than compliance and does not hold with any comments to the contrary.

Did you like how vague the recent "violence in the workplace" rules are? What constitutes a violent response and who makes that distinction? You signed a form that basically says if you raise your voice to your supervisor, he or she can feel threatened and you're fired.

I at least like a little kiss before I'm screwed.

And you know something? I've met scm's that are normal, everyday joes just like you and me. They don't act like everyday is a burden they must bear and bring the entire center down in moral. You want to talk to them. You don't avoid them at all costs.

Drivers here have been very vocal about this scm. Even had meetings with the big boss, but he put the problem right up there on his right so no one would say a word because of retribution.

Whatever. I just wanted to let those that don't have to deal with a tyrant scm everyday, those that can get in their truck and drive 600 miles away and not have to deal with him on a daily basis, know that it isn't always easy to just "let it go". If he didn't control such a large part of our life, we'd be able to say "whatever" too.

14wheeler said:
here is the problems with that crappy gallop pole there is no section for you to write out your opinion all the questions and answers are to general the second proble is i doubt that they are anomous because if you noticed when you get the they come in an envelope with your name on it and each one is numbered with a different number last but not least my center has done zero to make things better.:bananapowerslide:
When something comes with YOUR name on it and has a number to match, you can say it is anonymous until you are blue in the face BUT no one really thinks it is anonymous.

Most associates I talk to think that they had better not say anything bad on the survey cause they will be retaliated against.

If they wanted total anonymity, they could achieve it by NOT numbering the form. It could be coded for each department and ALL the road drivers, for example may have the same number, but not each individual associate.

And.....As far as the heading of this subject " People First", Let's just change it to " Profit First"................I will be fine with it....Just be honest with me

Attention HRO, just be honest with us

I understand that the number one reason we are here is to make a profit

I understand that I am just a number...How could we be anything else in a company so large? I think we are OK knowing we are just a number... I think we are OK knowing that we are here first of all to make profit for the stockholders............

Just quit telling us we are " People first" while at the same time managers all over the system are writing up associates for doing things that people can't help but doing; MAKING LITTLE MISTAKES

Repeat...........PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES

PEOPLE ARE NOT PERFECT

I watched many drivers just look at them and see the name and number on it and toss it in the trash. When I told them it is your turn to at least say something they told me ''what will it change'' . They were right nothing has or ever will.

We had a driver call the complaint line. His question was why is it that we (the drivers) get written up over everything, but the managment can screw everything up and they seem to get rewarded. I don't think he ever got a response. I kind of wonder the same thing. Why is it some one always has to be held accountable for every little thing that goes wrong? Yet it seems like you never hear of a red shirt being held accountable, until you are told at a preshift that they resigned from the company? They shotgun load our trailers, they put 90% of the weight in the trailer on one side, or they smash the hell out of the freight. Who gets to hear it?? The driver.......why did it take so long to get unloaded?? If the freight wasn't noted as damaged in the computer, why was it damaged when YOU delivered it??
If I screw something up I will be the first to say so and take whatever punishment I deserve, but I am sick and tired of having to put up with being *****ed at and having the drivers told it is taking us to long to get emptied out!!!!! Sorry.....but I feel better!!

The one thing all SCMs want is their freight in the yard early. If one of them has become Richard Cranium all you have to do is arrive just on time. Take your lunch, take your breaks, drive the speed limit. There is not one thing anyone can do if you use all the time alloted for that run. If the SCM complains you can either report him for harrasment or just tell him if he doesn't like the time it took you today he sure won't like tomorrows arrival. If all the linedrivers do the same thing at that terminal it won't take long to adjust the SCM's attitude. They may not ever become your best friend but they will not hassle you any the next time it takes you ten minutes longer then they think it should.

The drivers schedule at freight is always stretched to the max. It is planned that way so that there are some drivers who feel there is a need to skip the breaks. You are so right, when you say take all the breaks that are due. When the trucks leave after 1000 the musical deliveries begin.

gman said:
The drivers schedule at freight is always stretched to the max. It is planned that way so that there are some drivers who feel there is a need to skip the breaks. You are so right, when you say take all the breaks that are due. When the trucks leave after 1000 the musical deliveries begin.
i used to skip my breaks and my lunch but our new scm doesn't appreciate it and is such a stupid mother :ranting2: i wont give him an extra second i'm not getting paid for.as far as musical deliveries go screw him i'm tired of killing myself for some dck who talks to us like we are nothing.love my job hate my new boss getting ready to call hr or maby transfer to another center.he is the most hated guy i think i ever seen at fx several other drivers considering the same

Man i thought we had the most hated ccm maybe we need to have some kind of contest to see who has the biggest moron for a manager.