ODFL | physical ability test

Yes,when I read this I asked .Well,let's give the test to the one's who come up with this crap and see if they pass.Also,have been told I may not have to take it All depends on how the doctor releases me.Was told not to worry about it.Just get healed up to come back to work.If you fail the test you can retake in 30 days.

Yes,when I read this I asked .Well,let's give the test to the one's who come up with this crap and see if they pass.Also,have been told I may not have to take it All depends on how the doctor releases me.Was told not to worry about it.Just get healed up to come back to work.If you fail the test you can retake in 30 days.
Good luck Kenneth!

I've took it and passed it, I'm pretty outta shape also, strong but outta shape, it was way harder then anything I've done in trucking in 15 yrs . I kept thinking to myself (wtf does this test have to do with linehaul).
You able to pass the 100 pound lift??? We just had a old timer that has been out for a good year take it He is in is 70's and a line driver.He failed the first time with the 45 pound test.He waited 30 day's and had been working out and past it the second time.He is back working.He failed the 100 pound one.He told me not to worry about the 100 pound one.Just get the rest of the stuff and you will do fine.

You able to pass the 100 pound lift??? We just had a old timer that has been out for a good year take it He is in is 70's and a line driver.He failed the first time with the 45 pound test.He waited 30 day's and had been working out and past it the second time.He is back working.He failed the 100 pound one.He told me not to worry about the 100 pound one.Just get the rest of the stuff and you will do fine.
I did pass all the tests, was winded and my back hurt like heck, lol. I was 38 yrs old at the time, so that helped even though I'm outta shape. For the 100 pound test he said I can use both arms and do whatever it takes to get the 100 lb dumbell up on the shelf above my head.. The 25 lb test was harder on me then the 100 lb. I was losing stamina on the 25 test

Last edited:
And what made my test worse was I has no idea what the test was, tm said I had to go and do a strength test, I was assuming it was a cake walk, boy was I wrong though

And what made my test worse was I has no idea what the test was, tm said I had to go and do a strength test, I was assuming it was a cake walk, boy was I wrong though
I bet so.I'm glad I got a copy of it to give to the rehap person when I start.Also the test is given at the same doctor's office that my doctor is at.

Kenneth, we're you out past your government protected 12 weeks of fmla? If you were out less then 12 weeks they can't ask ykh to take this test and people need to start challenging it. I've called the department of labor and comfirmed they must accept your doctors release to work in your your fmla packet. Once past the 12 weeks you're at their mercy.

Kenneth, we're you out past your government protected 12 weeks of fmla? If you were out less then 12 weeks they can't ask ykh to take this test and people need to start challenging it. I've called the department of labor and comfirmed they must accept your doctors release to work in your your fmla packet. Once past the 12 weeks you're at their mercy.
I'm not ? anything.I do what I'm suppose to.I don't agree with it.But,that's the way it is.

I'm not ? anything.I do what I'm suppose to.I don't agree with it.But,that's the way it is.

Call the department of labor who enforces fmla laws. 866-487-2365, you'll have to leave a message and they'll call you back in 2-3 days when you've forgot about it. Then just explain it to them and include that Dr signed off you were fit for work and that you'd have been able to pass a dot physical yet were forced to take a test that is not legal. I'd also explain that the test is extremely above and beyond your daily job. They think because our job description has high weight etc lifting that means they can test us. Under ADA American disability act that also doesn't appear legal. Any test if legal past 12 weeks would have to represent daily tasks they can't just push you to your Max when it doesn't represent your daily duties. Good luck, regardless welcome back! I can tell on here you're a company man, and that's cool, but I hope you put the call in.

After my operation my test was: 1. Lift 20 lbs 25 times 4 " over your head. 2. Lift 45 lbs 8 times 4" over your head. 3. Lift 100 lbs to shoulder height, once. 4. Lift and carry 75 lbs 150 feet. 5. Push a sled with 135 lbs on it 20 feet. 6. Pull 85 lbs upward 1 foot. 7. Ascend and descend a Ladder with a height of 18". You have one chance only to pass this test. Good luck
I take that test you better have an ambulance on site, I am gonna need it.

Call the department of labor who enforces fmla laws. 866-487-2365, you'll have to leave a message and they'll call you back in 2-3 days when you've forgot about it. Then just explain it to them and include that Dr signed off you were fit for work and that you'd have been able to pass a dot physical yet were forced to take a test that is not legal. I'd also explain that the test is extremely above and beyond your daily job. They think because our job description has high weight etc lifting that means they can test us. Under ADA American disability act that also doesn't appear legal. Any test if legal past 12 weeks would have to represent daily tasks they can't just push you to your Max when it doesn't represent your daily duties. Good luck, regardless welcome back! I can tell on here you're a company man, and that's cool, but I hope you put the call in.

Devil’s Advocate:

Maybe you have to get an attorney. Maybe you prevail after 18 months with all the fillings, continuances, etc, etc. If you win you get your job back & maybe some money you would have made being off. Now after all this do you still want to work there? Oh yea, where are you going to work while your case moves forward @ a snail’s pace? Justice is never swift or just. No income from the job you want back. How you going to pay your bills? Who is going to hire you while you have a action against your former employer? McDonalds? Not even them. Are or were you able to make your bills? If you are single, no or low truck payments, renting a cheap 1 room apt in the hell’s kitchen area, & all you expenses in life are low, yea, go for it, nail them to the wall. But in 95% of these kinds of cases most people cannot afford to travel this road. I wish you the best of luck, and hope the price you pay to achieve your goal is reasonable. Von.

As an after thought you might have a case under the Sub Transportation ACT that governs almost all of trucking. Some of it is covered by OSHA some by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Check with a local attorney who handles Title 4 5 & 6 cases which your problem falls under.

One driver that couldn't pass the physical test went and got a linehaul job with another ltl carrier during his actions to help prove he could drive and could be hired by a union competitor to who he fully disclosed the medical issues that put him out and what OD did to him. Do you really want everyone to just rollover and take it? If the minority of strong minded strong willed loud mouths didn't stick up for those that cower and lay down we wouldn't have half the right we do in this country.

They pass everybody now days !!
overweight-truckers-causing-truck-accidents2.jpg

Had surgery for a non OJI umbilical hernia. I'm LTL almost 61 doing the work that kids half my age won't try most of the time.

But I've been sitting for 6 weeks. Everything is stiff. I'm going back on Monday. And all I know is I have to take a physical. And things have to be submitted to safety. Or corporate.

My ATM is not very forthcoming with information.

So I don't know what I'm in for. Any ideas?