Physical renewal

almost13ranch

Abitiose sed ineptum
Credits
I would like some feedback and or advice from here. My DOT physical is due in a few months. I’ve kept my CDL after I retired more as a security thing than anything else for the 6 years since I retired. In the past 6 years, insurance has paid for my DOT physical as a yearly checkup/ physical, so it was really a moot point about keeping it. They now won’t do that and it’ll cost $100 for the DOT physical.

I haven’t set foot in a commercial vehicle all this time with the exception of moving a rock truck out of the way of a local tire shop as a favor, it took literally 45 seconds.

I really don’t think I’ll need my CDL, I haven’t yet.

Would you pay the physical this time or surrender your CDL?

I had the exact same problem as you. I paid for my physical for around 5 years (I have a one year physical due to blood pressure). To me $100 is a cheap amount to maintain your CDL. If you lose your CDL and want it back you have to do the written and come up with a truck to do the driving test. On the other hand if you are absolutely sure you are never going to drive commercial again then let it go. I am in Oklahoma. I decided to give it up when it would have been around $85 for the license and $89 dollars for the finger prints for hazmat. Gasoline hauling is one of the easiest trucking jobs in Oklahoma so I would need the hazmat. So it was around $175 for CDL or free class D since I am over 65.

If you are not sure go ahead and keep the CDL and think about till next time the physical is due.

I think I'll keep mine when I retire..... I'm still fairly young.... Family still has the construction company.... Never know what I might do.

I love the ads here on truckingboards.....

1000004831.md.png

1000004832.md.png

I self certified at Tier Two in my State for years. I finally turned in the CDLA after about 36 years in total.

I am grandfathered at my State and can have it back in a short period of time from a car license and fees etc as a Tier Two. However I consider myself end of life so it no longer matters. The remaining years will play out and good riddance to the whole racket.

I would like some feedback and or advice from here. My DOT physical is due in a few months. I’ve kept my CDL after I retired more as a security thing than anything else for the 6 years since I retired. In the past 6 years, insurance has paid for my DOT physical as a yearly checkup/ physical, so it was really a moot point about keeping it. They now won’t do that and it’ll cost $100 for the DOT physical.

I haven’t set foot in a commercial vehicle all this time with the exception of moving a rock truck out of the way of a local tire shop as a favor, it took literally 45 seconds.

I still have my CDL but I haven't used it. It is easier to keep it than to get it back.

Its even easier to lose the CDL at a whim of the DMV now.

Even more so when I am a medical patient at the end of life taking on scheduled drugs being prescribed. Once the databases inform DMV then thats it. Poof all gone.

6 weeks ago, i was in emergency eye surgery. The surgeon said to me they will try to fix it. If they cannot I must prepare for certain medical orders to revoke my license for driving and so on so forth etc. If the surgery did not work then along with the destroyed licensing will be the computer being thrown out into the trash etc. And that would truly be finis for little old me whom some of you love to troll and tease so much.

I will have to think about this today, after lunch and get back to you.

You can keep your CDL without a physical !!

In Texas you can have your CDL turned to Intrastate if you were born before 1970 without having to take DOT physical. The only thing you will lose is Hazmat endorsement.

I had to pay for the physical myself in December after Yellow shut down. I'm keeping the CDL since giving it up is like a milestone event and I'm not ready to deal with that yet. May never need CDL again but who knows. As others have said, better to keep it than to give it up and have to jump through hoops to get it back.

You can keep your CDL without a physical !!
Can you do that in all states? I ran into this before in my state when my background check expired. I was told then that I would have to surrender my CDL and get issued a class C license if my physical was not up to date.

In Texas you can have your CDL turned to Intrastate if you were born before 1970 without having to take DOT physical. The only thing you will lose is Hazmat endorsement.
I’ve already let the HazMat go, I thought that it would be easy to get it back if I needed it, just do the background check and take the written test.

The second thing I did when I retired was downgrade my CDL to a regular license. Go get some therapy if you have problems letting it go. After 46 years of trucking I can truthfully say that trucking sucks. The road, local, or regional, flatbeds, lowboys,tankers,refers, or vans. It was a job that paid the bills and gave me a pension. You spend your days a couple feet away from having a head on collision. Just give it up and don't look back.

The second thing I did when I retired was downgrade my CDL to a regular license. Go get some therapy if you have problems letting it go. After 46 years of trucking I can truthfully say that trucking sucks. The road, local, or regional, flatbeds, lowboys,tankers,refers, or vans. It was a job that paid the bills and gave me a pension. You spend your days a couple feet away from having a head on collision. Just give it up and don't look back.
OK on therapy for letting go of my CDL, but what about my fear of being hit by a meteorite every time I go outside? :idunno: