potentially high rate of trailer separations

On June 9, the agency began investigating a potentially high rate of trailer separations for the hitch involved in the crash -- the "Ultra LT" made by Fontaine Fifth Wheel of Trussville, Ala. Fontaine says it is cooperating with the probe.

The Ultra LT could be in use on as many as 6,000 semis across the nation.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/tractor-trailer-hitches-faulty-6000-32147165

We had problems with the Volvos.One in particular tractor was dropped several times.The Atlanta driver who was assigned to the unit was very angry at the city guys dropping trailers and putting his tractor out of service for inspection.He insisted that they weren't hooked and the lever was about an inch from being in all the way.Again you could test pull all you wanted but they usually didn't come uncoupled until they made a turn or hit some bumps or holes in the road.
I happened to get a Volvo when my tractor was in shop and the same thing happened to me.It looks hooked except for the little bit of lever that isn't in all the way.I barely raised my dolly and drove slowly to shop and showed shop foreman. He stated that that is what was going on and he actually fooled with the lever and got it to click in all the way.If they are hooked they will not come un hooked unless something broke.The malfunction is that they shouldn't be so hard to hook in the first place.
I think some do a visual but don't exactly know what to look for.
The company should have a safety video showing what to look for with 5th wheel inspection on all of the 5th wheels we use, instead of the stupid video showing us how to put on a pair of gloves and goggles.