XPO | Pre 2006 what were the names of all the regionals

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Hi guys,
Quick question I've been writing a report on the book Never Stand Still it's the CF story and real quick:
What were the names of all the regional carriers?

There was what?
Conway Central Xpress
Conway Southern Xpress
Conway Southeastern Xpress
and Conway Western Xpress
Is that about right? Or am I missing a couple.

Thank you
Mike

Thank you I knew i was missing one, did they have a division in the south west or was that just Conway Southern Express?

Eastern was gone long before 2006. Leading up to the Con-Way change of 06, there were only Central, Southern, and Western. Central was from the Midwest up to the Northeast. Southern was something like Texas-Tennessee and east from there, and Western was everything Northwest and Southwest. Also, don't forget about Upnorth and Con-Way Canada Express.

Hi guys,
Quick question I've been writing a report on the book Never Stand Still it's the CF story and real quick:
What were the names of all the regional carriers?

CCX - Central, X-terminals
CSE - Southern, N-terminals
CSW - Southwest, L-terminals (Absorbed by CSE at some point)
CWX - Western, U-terminals

And of course, briefly, there was Eastern (CEX)- I think we all know what happened there.

CCX - Central, X-terminals
CSE - Southern, N-terminals
CSW - Southwest, L-terminals (Absorbed by CSE at some point)
CWX - Western, U-terminals

And of course, briefly, there was Eastern (CEX)- I think we all know what happened there.
What letter did CEX use?

What letter did CEX use?

Good question- that was WAY before my time. New England is all X-freight now.

CEX unionized.

Well, something like that. CEX absorbed a company called Penn-Yan that was already unionized. PYX went on strike a few years later and CEX/PYX was closed. The side that gets the blame for that closure depends on which side you're talking to.

I have two questions. I know CF was into manufacturing and owned a company called Road Systems which was the trailer and dolly manufacturing division. I know even through the Conway days Conway kept the trailer making division known as Conway manufacturing. Is XPO going to continue the trailer manufacturing or do you guys not really know?

Second here is a picture of a brand new Fruehauf 28' trailer did CF not manufacture trailers for the regional carriers?
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/dfaust/2010/12-18/penn-yan/scan10008.html

Or was Road sytems to busy that year and they said here go buy some trailers.

I have two questions. I know CF was into manufacturing and owned a company called Road Systems which was the trailer and dolly manufacturing division. I know even through the Conway days Conway kept the trailer making division known as Conway manufacturing. Is XPO going to continue the trailer manufacturing or do you guys not really know?

Second here is a picture of a brand new Fruehauf 28' trailer did CF not manufacture trailers for the regional carriers?
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/dfaust/2010/12-18/penn-yan/scan10008.html

We still own RSI. Still making trailers, re furbing old trailers, and making dolly's.

Eastern was gone long before 2006. Leading up to the Con-Way change of 06, there were only Central, Southern, and Western. Central was from the Midwest up to the Northeast. Southern was something like Texas-Tennessee and east from there, and Western was everything Northwest and Southwest. Also, don't forget about Upnorth and Con-Way Canada Express.
Something no one knows about Conway canada....we were designed to fail. We were never suppose to make money. The company threw everything they could at our customers to not use us. Problem is, we made money. Hand over fist. And still continue to be extremely profitable.

http://www.xpo.com/content/xpo-trailer-manufacturing-1

Good question- that was WAY before my time. New England is all X-freight now.

Cf bought Pen Yan when they had the Conway system going, Penn Yan was renamed CEX. Penn Yan was always Union, there was so many issues when it became CEX they were finally shut down. It was ugly shut down, they had a terminal on Moonachie Ave in Moonachie NJ ( became Overnight, then UPS Freight) and the guys were outside the gate for quite a while. Back then there was probably no NON Union North East Carriers to buy. What's funny is CCX/XPO is directly across the street now in what was the St. Johnsburry terminal.