XPO | Preventable/Non-preventale

they will tell you...if the gladhands were wore to the point where they do not "snap" on... You should have changed them!!!!!!
that is your responsibility

To prevent is to stop something effectually by forestalling action and rendering it impossible
pre⋅vent  /prɪˈvɛnt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pri-vent] Show IPA
–verb (used with object) 1. to keep from occurring; avert; hinder: He intervened to prevent bloodshed.

Related forms:

pre⋅vent⋅a⋅ble, pre⋅vent⋅i⋅ble, adjective

if you could have stopped your action, it would not be preventable

If they were worn they will get him for improper pre-trip also,we had a driver at my barn slip and fall on ice that formed at the bottom of a company down spout that was at the steps to get in the building and it was ruled preventable,his fault, they told him and i swear this is true, that he should of had spikes on his work boots...:biglaugh::biglaugh::nutkick:

I can't agree on what they told him did that come from corp or the tm if it came from the corp offices the next phone call would have been to O.S.H.A clearly a safey hazz...

As for a bad pre trip he said he was just moving the trailer in the yard maybe spotting ???
We don't know as for worn glad hands is he a cert mechanic thats a hard call sorry we can't be drivers/sales/dockworkers/mechanics/csr

I believe that ruling 100%. They have to stay consistent with the definition of "Preventable" accidents and injuries.
We all know accidents and injuries can occur anywhere.
We all need to be aware of our surroundings and not let our guard down.

I aggree there should be consistent with this, BUT why do we have to prove our innocent's are we guilty until we have proven our innocent's ???
That's how conway works never admit there wrong... and a way for termination seen it to many times at this company..

My injury was so small that a common bandaid stopped the bleeding. I did not need medical attention.

I am not looking to blame anyone or anything, just do not want a preventable on my safety record.

I told the SCM and he gave me the tri-fold accident report to fill out. He sent it in to safety with the recommendation of non-preventable as he has been told of this happening at other locations.

The tractor did not touch the trailer.

As BossBox stated, most of the time it happens when you forget to disconnect the hose and you drive out from under the trailer. I have done this and the air hose hit the back of the cab metal, not the window. I felt stupid, I looked for damage and saw none, I looked to see if anyone had seen me be stupid, no one did see me, and I kept my mouth shut!!!

The only thing I can think of I could have done to prevent this was not turn so tight. Other than the suggestions of not coming to work etc.

iamgs3, gonna show my ignorance here (again) but isn't the truck built for tight turns? And if so, shouldn't the hose be long enough to be able to handle a tight turn? Then again all there is to connecting is clipping on, right? So was any part of it rusted to cause the end of the hose to not have a tight enough grip to hold the hose? Was there paint over a rusted part?

I know it was mentioned to look for signs of wear and tear but if in use daily wouldn't that be normal? Unless there was rust damage covered by a lousy paint job?

Just that I hate to see a good worker get called out on the carpet for something that wasn't preventable on his part. Good luck.

I say preventable............
Take it and learn what a bungee strap will do for you in the future. Strap them down from under trailer over glad hand and back under trailer. Insurance thing.....trucker!!!
I call it a bad pretrip.

I say preventable............
Take it and learn what a bungee strap will do for you in the future. Strap them down from under trailer over glad hand and back under trailer. Insurance thing.....trucker!!!
I call it a bad pretrip.

If that would prevent it, perhaps a class in the technique would be necessary to avoid any future incidents...For the price of a bungee cord, seems worth it...I would buy a whole bunch for my guys..

I think you make a good point in the case of THIS accident...There should be an investigation into the factors you mentioned, if not to overturn this ruling, certainly to prevent future similar incidents..

One post note on my earlier comments: The individuals I mentioned were all involved in straight pulls from the trailer, and simply forgot to disconnect the hose...none were the result of tight turning..

Thank you Thats all we really need instead of a flat guilty driver verdict, Con-way dare i say is not perfect and in the old days they knew it and in the same breathe drivers do stupid s%$t just sort it out fairly and go on

Good luck! At Conway your will not win. My Tm back in 2004 told me everthing is preventable and when you are charged, don't fight it because you will not win. I had the same thing happen at least 3 or more times over the years. Stuff happens, like maybe you did not see if it was long enough, if it was worn down, and maybe you need to learn how not to make such a sharp turn. Did you check your fifth wheel? was it back to far. When you hooked up was the gladhand loose? someone before you probably forgot to disconnect the lines as they were dropping the trailer they yanked it out from the trailer and they got lucky not breaking the back window. I have done this too not paying attention but hit the tractor and not the window. I personally had a fellow driver do the same thing, forgot to disconnect the lines and caught it as he was pulling away. When hooked up to his trailer the gladhand was loose so I had to bang it bang in place. Maybe you need to spend a few more minutes on your pretrip. Most Conway drivers jsut get in and hook up to see how fast they can be to show up the next driver. I have worked with many Conway drivers that did not even do a air break test. Some just think that kicking the tires is all you need to do, I bang the tires with a rubber mallot. I have seen a lot of dropped trailers. I dropped one the first week I was there because Conway is all about speed, not safety. Do your pretrip everytime, protect your CDL, or it will catch up to you oneday. As far as your airbrake lines, you should be able to tell just by looking at it that it maybe to short. Do make a big deal about this. I worked at a family owned trucking company that if you hit a deer you got a day off, without pay. They said that hitting any animal is preventable. You never swerve or leave the road to avoid any animal. Apply your brakes, not hard, and stay in your lane. Screw the deer and save your life and job.

If that would prevent it, perhaps a class in the technique would be necessary to avoid any future incidents...For the price of a bungee cord, seems worth it...I would buy a whole bunch for my guys..

sorry i have to jump in here,bungee cords are not part of the original equipment. they are not permanately attached to the equipment. it is kinda like when drivers put broken-up pieces of sticks or coat hangers in the slide-in placard holders to keep the placards in place.can you imagine some lawyer getting hold of this if something flew off and hit someone. if a airline is too short get it replaced or red tag it. if they tell you to drive it have them sign off on the 8300 that they are are directing you to do it. protect yourself drivers. if the placard holders won't securely hold the placards, put on the stick-ons. those slide-in holders need a re-design, more snaps not just one.

I can't agree on what they told him did that come from corp or the tm if it came from the corp offices the next phone call would have been to O.S.H.A clearly a safey hazz...

As for a bad pre trip he said he was just moving the trailer in the yard maybe spotting ???
We don't know as for worn glad hands is he a cert mechanic thats a hard call sorry we can't be drivers/sales/dockworkers/mechanics/csr

We can do all that in 20 minutes or less...

Are you suggesting that I get tools to move the bolted on fifth wheel? Maybe YOU need to spend a few more minutes thinking about a reply.

I agree, there have been several times during the winter where I have had to tie the gladhands in place with a bungee cord, to keep them conected. Nothing quite as disconcerting as driving down a straight road and having your trailer brakes just lock-up, when the red line pops off the gladhand. Just about ::shit:: my pants the first time this happened to me doing 62 down the interstate.

Luckily, I was pulling a single box, hate to think what would have happened if it would have been a set.

Ive never had problems with the emergency line in the winter but it seems that the service line is never tight enough,what I ususally do is place the light cord thru a loop on the service line so it keeps pressure to yhe bottom of the line to keep the lines connected,there is got to be a safer way to do this,maybe those plastic tie straps,and yes i agree these trucks are the only trucks that i have a problem like this in my couple of years out here doing this

My injury was so small that a common bandaid stopped the bleeding. I did not need medical attention.

I am not looking to blame anyone or anything, just do not want a preventable on my safety record.

I told the SCM and he gave me the tri-fold accident report to fill out. He sent it in to safety with the recommendation of non-preventable as he has been told of this happening at other locations.

The tractor did not touch the trailer.

As BossBox stated, most of the time it happens when you forget to disconnect the hose and you drive out from under the trailer. I have done this and the air hose hit the back of the cab metal, not the window. I felt stupid, I looked for damage and saw none, I looked to see if anyone had seen me be stupid, no one did see me, and I kept my mouth shut!!!

The only thing I can think of I could have done to prevent this was not turn so tight. Other than the suggestions of not coming to work etc.

Driver it has happened to everyone,just most guys were lucky enough to not have it break the window,the only time i have seen anything ruled nonpreventable is when safety has someone else to pin the preventable on,in this case there is only you,no one wants a preventable on thier record but it happens,its part of the job,just like traffic tickets,the odds of this stuff happening are about 12 times greater to a truck driver because we spend 12 times more time behind the wheel,I would try to appeal it, that way the safety review board which has drivers on it, rule on it not just the safety guy in youre area,you have nothing to lose and a chance to get it overturned,if nothing changes the points will be gone in 2 years,be careful and remember we learn from our mistakes...goodluck

Are you suggesting that I get tools to move the bolted on fifth wheel? Maybe YOU need to spend a few more minutes thinking about a reply.

there are 5th wheeks that slide,and yes we have some of them on some of our trucks,easy driver we are on the same team right?