Yellow | PSA From A Teamster Mechanic On Your Pre-Trips!

Kennesaw Kid

TB Legend
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
VERY helpful advice from a Teamsters Mechanic....thank you!

"Alright everyone, the fifth wheel pictured below is on the newer tractors. What I have outlined with the red squares is the fifth wheel adjuster. I have been seeing more and more of these bent, loose, broken-off, and damaged threads. (I’m assuming from missing the kingpin when trying to hook to a trailer.) Anyways, I would recommend checking this adjuster rod and locking nut as part of your pre and post-trip inspections. The reasoning is because if this adjuster is loose or broken then the fifth wheel is not at the proper setting. This can cause the fifth wheel to drop a trailer, refuse latching on to the kingpin properly, and an excessively loose fit on the kingpin. How I would check this is by giving it a good wiggle. See if it moves, and see if the locking nut is loose. If it is bent run it through the check lane (if you can) to get a second set of eyes on it. Another notoriously poor design.
Also, check the skid plates on the trailers. I often see them hanging, loose, and rotted out. It is possible that they could catch on to the hardware of the fifth wheels. The skid plates or belly pans are on the bottom of the trailer on either side of the kingpin. They are typically welded to the cross members and sometimes riveted on the side rails.
As always drive safe everyone and keep your eyes peeled. DVIRs and inspections are key, if the mechanics don’t know, they can’t fix them. Have a good weekend everybody."
FB_IMG_1624025792999.md.jpg FB_IMG_1624025779180.md.jpg FB_IMG_1624025785661.md.jpg

"Alright everyone, the fifth wheel pictured below is on the newer tractors. What I have outlined with the red squares is the fifth wheel adjuster. I have been seeing more and more of these bent, loose, broken-off, and damaged threads. (I’m assuming from missing the kingpin when trying to hook to a trailer.) Anyways, I would recommend checking this adjuster rod and locking nut as part of your pre and post-trip inspections. The reasoning is because if this adjuster is loose or broken then the fifth wheel is not at the proper setting. This can cause the fifth wheel to drop a trailer, refuse latching on to the kingpin properly, and an excessively loose fit on the kingpin. How I would check this is by giving it a good wiggle. See if it moves, and see if the locking nut is loose. If it is bent run it through the check lane (if you can) to get a second set of eyes on it. Another notoriously poor design.
Also, check the skid plates on the trailers. I often see them hanging, loose, and rotted out. It is possible that they could catch on to the hardware of the fifth wheels. The skid plates or belly pans are on the bottom of the trailer on either side of the kingpin. They are typically welded to the cross members and sometimes riveted on the side rails.
As always drive safe everyone and keep your eyes peeled. DVIRs and inspections are key, if the mechanics don’t know, they can’t fix them. Have a good weekend everybody."
FB_IMG_1624025792999.md.jpg FB_IMG_1624025779180.md.jpg FB_IMG_1624025785661.md.jpg
When is the last time that unit was steam cleaned?

Tell that to the yard guys throwing the DVIRs away and rehooking the tractors

Dang brother the yard dogs get blamed for everything. :kicking:
It's a major safety issue and don't tell me well you are supposed to pre trip we all miss stuff. I've had yard guys at many terminals unhook my tractor with a red tag write up on DVIR and they hook it to another set throwing away the DVIR and red tag. I don't rat out fellow Teamsters so If I see them doing that crap I talk confront in person about it or talk to their steward.

It's a major safety issue and don't tell me well you are supposed to pre trip we all miss stuff. I've had yard guys at many terminals unhook my tractor with a red tag write up on DVIR and they hook it to another set throwing away the DVIR and red tag. I don't rat out fellow Teamsters so If I see them doing that crap I talk confront in person about it or talk to their steward.
Man, I hate it when someone reports an issue about me to my steward. That guy is an A-Hole. Wait a minute, I am that guy!!! I'm just pullin' your chain there Jaloc. I agree with you, it is a major safety issue.