XPO | pto days

conway trucker

TB Lurker
Credits
HOW MANY OF YOU PLAN ON USING YOUR PTO DAYS AS AN EXTRA WEEK OF VACATION OR WILL YOU SELL IT BACK TO THE COMPANY AT THE END OF THE YEAR. IT,S STILL HARD TO BELIVE THAT CONWAY WILL COME OUT AHEAD BY GIVING YOU THESE 5 PTO DAYS. MOST LIKE MYSELF NEVER USED 5 SICK DAYS IN A YEAR OR YOU WOULD NO LONGER STILL BE WITH CONWAY. FOR ME I`LL BE USING IT AS EXTRA TIME OFF.:puke: :hyper:

In regards to sick days only:
The people that never took sick days gained 3 days.
The people that used all 10 sick days FMLA or not lost 7 days.
I'm going single out my days and plant them near holidays or when Lack of Work days come up.

in phoenix if we call in to take a pto day we are told 9 out of 10 times NO ..........you did not schedule the day off so come in to work. that was not the original agreement when we lost our 10 sick day's three years ago.we were told two hour call that is all we had to do.....use them as you wish....ha ha more con-way B.S.............

Well, Im in central, and it appears there is more B.S. now more than ever...And Im getting sick of it.... I know......If I dont like yada yada yada......

Well i'm sick of it ..........been here 13yrs and had enough.....when i first come to phx this was a good company to work for ...Now 13yrs later i'ts the worst ,There is no morale what so ever and this company is going down hill fast.....Look at the standard of driver's they are hiring ....Iwalk into the drivers room and all i here is SPANISH........

Already have my app's out at other company's and so do 15 other driver's and most of them have over 15yrs of service...we can't keep drivers ....Even our customers see a difference and there going to other carriers....

we are falling behind fast !! they say to be honest all the time but they [the mighty conway] keep going back on thier word on several things...we had to watch a video monday about all the damaged freight but that same night they want us to cram 530 percent into 4 trailers!! hello......they are out there on the dock with there camaras in hand most mornings when trailers get back from linehaul...they need to STOP blaming drivers all the time and look at the overall way they do buisness..

...we had to watch a video monday about all the damaged freight but that same night they want us to cram 530 percent into 4 trailers!! hello......they are out there on the dock with there camaras in hand most mornings when trailers get back from linehaul...they need to STOP blaming drivers all the time and look at the overall way they do buisness..

The problem lies in the fact that they hire people (and I'm speaking mostly of FOS's) that do not have a background in LTL trucking. These are the same people telling us (linehaul) how and what to do every night. It's absolutely absurd to see these guys trying to get their outbound numbers in line, just so they don't have to answer to the nasty e-mails they get from TM's and XGO when they return to work (later that next evening).
What's lost in the shuffle is the fact that the freight is what's important and to load and deliver the freight in good condition is why the customer chose Con-Way in the first place, they know we cost more. Not "load-factor" and "man-hours vs. dock-lbs." The customer could care less about the operation aspect and they will seek out someone cheaper if our freight arrives in the same condition as some of the lesser LTL carriers. It's happening every day at an alarming rate. Our terminal has lost 4 major accounts due to pricing and service failures, at a time when we could not afford this.

The FOS's need to learn what we experienced drivers already know how to do, and the new drivers need to learn from both. But ultimately it's Con-Ways fault for not properly training and hiring qualified people to do the job.
Who remembers their forklift training at Con-Way? Boy, that was some intense and informational education now wasn't it?
What a joke!
It's amazing that we do as well as we do. At my previous LTL employer, the training was far more detailed and longer and subsequently their damage claims are lower than ours. I came over here for the benefits and now those have been altered...makes me wonder and I'm regretting having left my last job for this one...

i totally agree with you. i just cant get over how much these people with hardly any experience know as much if not more than me and my 30+years in the industry,both as a driver and in management

we are falling behind fast !! they say to be honest all the time but they [the mighty conway] keep going back on thier word on several things...we had to watch a video monday about all the damaged freight but that same night they want us to cram 530 percent into 4 trailers!! hello......they are out there on the dock with there camaras in hand most mornings when trailers get back from linehaul...they need to STOP blaming drivers all the time and look at the overall way they do buisness..

That is 4 trailers. In Central, 130% is considered 1 trailer

Loading claim free freight in 2007? It's time for teaching, not consequences.

We were all taught how to tie our shoes. Result? Information we have "owned" since preschool, and will always own. We were first told that tied shoes made our feet feel better and lessened the chance of tripping over those laces ... then we were carefully shown how to tie those laces ... and finally we were supervised as we tied our own laces.

If Con-Way were teaching a class on shoe tying, they would pull out the stop watch and calculator and focus only on the goal of completion of your shoe tying. And, they would have an exit poll for the class. This poll should collect information as to how well everyone learned how to load. Instead here at our place they would calculate how many people they put through the class and try to determine how to put more through next class.

Adults remember 10% of what they are told, 60% of what they are shown, but if you do something with that adult, they will remember 90%.

We will never defeat the monster we know as damaged freight until we choose quality over quantity. Not a quantity of space, but a quantity of time. Reship supervision is all about time and today. Mentoring is all about building an understanding of fundamental principals and the foundation of the future. This is a timely process that contradicts everything that is linehaul and reship.

But answer me this, how many FOM's and FOS's really know what the freight they are loading looks like when it arrives? I think it's the lack of experience of our supervision playing a large role in this problem. Every action has a reaction, and every cause has an effect. PRIDE and forced loading have produced great productivity numbers for reship. But in the "circle of life" of Con-Way, what has been the effect of reship loading practices on the rest of our operation? Who is tracking the time spent to recoup the damages from these trailers? Heavy on light and using something as bottom freight that the customer NEVER intended to be subjected to our system are the two largest claim issues I see.

How much of a difference would it make if...
a) the drivers worked together to complete the loads (teamwork and mentoring)
b) the primary focus (notice I said primary) of reship was redirected from an elapsed time issue to a quality issue

Maybe we are looking at this problem backwards. Instead of watching outdated training tapes, maybe we should produce a tape of our operation. Then we can distribute this to all of our customers and require them to package the freight to survive a ride with Con-Way.

Pto

Where I work the Admins take all 10 sick days so they are losing 6 days because not only did they take away the 10 sick days they took the one personal day too, so they took away 11 days and gave us 5,

Where I work the Admins take all 10 sick days so they are losing 6 days because not only did they take away the 10 sick days they took the one personal day too, so they took away 11 days and gave us 5,
We should be happy with what ever they give us.All that matters is that we are Conway dsr's.